IGNORED

Re-Vamped Stadium Crowds

Pheasant plucker

I don't think you can compare historical large crowds to those of the modern game, i'd imagine that people travel further and a historical 30k at ashton gate would have mostly come from within walking distance. Seeing as times were different and less people had cars.

These days you have fans coming from all the outlying villages rather than BS3 as well as all over Bristol, transport is always going to be an issue. Add to that people have got fat and lazy, its only a steady 20-30min walk (assuming you don't stop for a pint) from the centre to the gate yet people want to park in the stadium rather than use their legs.

Living in Australia where people regularly drive 4 hrs each way for a coffee with a friend (and see that as normal) really puts into perspective how little and lazy us English have become. These days i see a 30min walk as 'just round the corner' but again its mindset and i was exactly the same when living back home.

I'm rambling, but in relation to the question initially it will boost both home fans and away fans wanting to come and see the ground once its been redeveloped as it will 'feel' like a new stadium of sorts especially for those that havent been for a few years. But as other have said the main thing that will sustain that is decent promotion chasing football.

Living in bs34 obviously I wouldn't use the bus to get to the gate. There is the 75 which is quite regular but you find you get all sorts of low lifes on that route and it takes quite some time to get from here to there plus then you also have the walk from Bemmy to the Gate. Driving is cheaper as there is usually 4 of us, takes quicker to get to the gate and less of a walk from where I park and driving just gives that extra bit of freedom. Sorry but I just get annoyed at stopping at bus stops waiting for people to board.

Hopefully around the time the redevelopment is complete there will be a new station (although there is already parson street which is direct from Bristol parkway). Plus, if we are lucky the trains will be made cheap or even free like other clubs who have redeveloped eg Brighton.

An additional advantage of having the rugby club using our ground is it increase the financial viability of any new transport developments eg additional buses, trains, a new station on the portishead line etc. The total number of events will likely be between 40 and 50 between football, rugby and possibly concerts.

Hopefully around the time the redevelopment is complete there will be a new station (although there is already parson street which is direct from Bristol parkway). Plus, if we are lucky the trains will be made cheap or even free like other clubs who have redeveloped eg Brighton.

An additional advantage of having the rugby club using our ground is it increase the financial viability of any new transport developments eg additional buses, trains, a new station on the portishead line etc. The total number of events will likely be between 40 and 50 between football, rugby and possibly concerts.

If the Mayor is serious about transport then a sporting venue being used once a week must have viable transport links.

The station must be opened and could be used by commuters, the park and ride must be made available, and dedicated cheap buses on Saturdays, after all there is only one league team in Bristol, GF get your ass in gear.

One of the other beauties of remaining at Ashton Gate is the history and location - it's all on top of everything at the moment, which makes you feel part of the community and not stuck out on a limb at a retail park.

With regards to larger numbers, AG has had crowds of over 30,000 in the past, how did it cope then? We've obviously got a past track record of larger crowds.

I've been in a near 40K crowd, but people didn't feel it necessary to drive to the ground in those days.

If the Mayor is serious about transport then a sporting venue being used once a week must have viable transport links.

The station must be opened and could be used by commuters, the park and ride must be made available, and dedicated cheap buses on Saturdays, after all there is only one league team in Bristol, GF get your ass in gear.

GF cares nothing about public transport and less about football fans. If you twist his arm, you might get a bigger bike shed, though.

Archived