IGNORED

Vanishing Spray

chivers88

Just read an article about the use of vanishing spray at the world cup to mark free kicks and the 10 yards the wall must stand what are people's views on this and will it work in the domestic game. I personally think it will waste time and slow things down

Far more issues to stamp out than the exact to the millimetre placement of a ball on free kicks.

Refs continually being conned by players, diving, winging and writhing around like they have been taken out by a sling shot,trying to get fellow pros a card + more . Goal line tech would be on a higher priority than vanishing spray - 

Was anyone of this same opinion when Stoke scored their winner against us at Wembley? If I remember correctly their winning goal came from a free kick that was taken 10 yds forward.

I can't remember if it was the equaliser or the winner but for one of them Carey was completely out of position moaning at the referee and they played on quickly and scored.

Just read an article about the use of vanishing spray at the world cup to mark free kicks and the 10 yards the wall must stand what are people's views on this and will it work in the domestic game. I personally think it will waste time and slow things down

So, does the ball have to be exactly on the spot where the ref marks, or can there be a 1 yard circumference?

The reason I ask is because there are bound to be complaints that the ref placed the ball in a divet or in a such a way that the ground beneath the standing foot is uneven, or the ball is too close to the corner flag etc...?

They better make the most of being 7th for a few months.

It's the highest they'll be in that league!!

That's when it will really sink in, when you go to check the league table and find you are looking in the wrong place. It took me a little while when we went from the Championship to league one, hated it everytime I made that mistake.

Actually they employ this in the MLS. My initial thoughts were I hated it. It appeared gimmicky.

But after I saw it used more and more, I changed my mind.

Ref makes a circle where the free kick takes place. Then walks the 10 yards to the wall of defenders. Makes another line. Takes no time at all.

Booking if you move over the line. Simple effective and it works.

Stevo

I can't remember if it was the equaliser or the winner but for one of them Carey was completely out of position moaning at the referee and they played on quickly and scored.

Yes that was the winning goal, as I remember it the ref was actually giving Carey a talking to so play shouldn'tbhave commenced. However as 5he ref wasn't looking Stoke then threw the ball forward about ten yards and quickly took the free kick which led to the winner?

Ref walks 10 yards from free kick and motions to players where the 'line' is.

Player moves forward of 'line' gets booked. Player complains and gets twatted by ref. Easy.

No spray needed.

In theory yes.  But reality no.  But having saying that, I think there are far more pressing things in football then lines for walls.

Steve

Actually they employ this in the MLS. My initial thoughts were I hated it. It appeared gimmicky.

But after I saw it used more and more, I changed my mind.

Ref makes a circle where the free kick takes place. Then walks the 10 yards to the wall of defenders. Makes another line. Takes no time at all.

Booking if you move over the line. Simple effective and it works.

Stevo

they've used this in the argentine leagues for years and it does really work and very clever!

On a more serious note they should tattoo**** across the face of anyone deemed to have dived!

It's a good idea but at the same time, this has become an exact science (measuring encroachment) for something that is an estimate of 10 yards at the end of the day.

Referees should just be told to look out for it - will they do the same with throw-ins? How many times do teams run the ball 4/5 yards up the line without punishment?

I get that it already happens with penalties and has done since the dawn of, well the D. I really don't see the need for it.

Far more issues to stamp out than the exact to the millimetre placement of a ball on free kicks.

Refs continually being conned by players, diving, winging and writhing around like they have been taken out by a sling shot,trying to get fellow pros a card + more . Goal line tech would be on a higher priority than vanishing spray -

Quite agree. Not really looking forward to the usual World Cup diving masterclass next month.

Not that you need to watch international football for that. The higher up the English pyramid system you go, the bigger percentage of players who go down at the merest brush of the shirt when they are in the box, is found.

Bring on penalty area cams, retrospective cards for diving - oh, and I'd ban anyone from raising their arm to "signal" a foul when they go down. That's for the officials to decide.

It has just been used in the Euro U17 Championship (which England won :clapping:  :englandflag: ) and although I would have initially thought it to be another gimmick I have to admit it worked very well, did not delay the flow of the game at all.  Zero encroachment and it seem to make the referees job much easier, which in times like these when players seem more keen on cheating and conning the referee than playing the game as it is meant to be played, it must be a good thing. 

From pictures it looks more like a can of foam, so I guess the ref will have to carry it around with them ?

I can't see it delaying the game anymore than what already happens. He puts the ball down and speaks to the freekick taker, he then goes and attempts to move the wall back, meanwhile the freekick taker has moved the ball forward so he goes and moves him back, then of course there is pushing and shoving in the wall so he goes and sorts that out, meanwhile the wall has moved forward too and now has to be moved back. Then sometimes someone gets booked...

Yup, draw a foam line

It's a good idea but at the same time, this has become an exact science (measuring encroachment) for something that is an estimate of 10 yards at the end of the day.

Referees should just be told to look out for it - will they do the same with throw-ins? How many times do teams run the ball 4/5 yards up the line without punishment?

I get that it already happens with penalties and has done since the dawn of, well the D. I really don't see the need for it.

:P The Ref could also carry a 10 yard stick to make sure the players get 10 yards back! :P

So, does the ball have to be exactly on the spot where the ref marks, or can there be a 1 yard circumference?

The reason I ask is because there are bound to be complaints that the ref placed the ball in a divet or in a such a way that the ground beneath the standing foot is uneven, or the ball is too close to the corner flag etc...?

Can I move it, ref? The feng shui is unpropitious there :(

Archived