IGNORED

6 Years Ago Today

Super

Look into the future. Dean Windass is in an Old Folks Home. Someone eases him out of his bathchair puts a shirt on him, any shirt, and asks him to play against Bristol City - he would score against us. The old bugger never failed to do that to us, be it Hull City, Bradford City ............. any flipping City.

Orr was on the pitch wasn't he? - in my recurring nightmare Carey goes out to close down Fraiser Campbell and Orr is on the penalty spot when Windass hit his shot. Had Orr been fully fit at the time, we wouldn't have conceded then.

Did anyone seriously go into that game expecting to win? As soon as we'd missed out on promotion I was fairly convinced it was championship football for the 08-09 season - being in the final prolonged the agony

Yes I think you are correct, having looked at the match report he got taken off at half time. As others have said though it was just schoolboy defending which was uncharecteristic of that defence at the time as they were generally very well organised.

What I took home from that day...

If memory serves Carle scuffed one wide early on... For some reason I got a sinking feeling from then on that it just wasn't going to be our day.

I didn't really hold anything against hull until the following morning when all the papers I read said they deserved it. They either meant over the entire season or they were watching a different game to me!

The biggest feeling walking away from the game was that we had missed our chance and when would we get another? I got very annoyed with people saying "oh well at least we had our day out.."

If Orr's face wasn't smashed to a pulp he would have taken the impact of Windass' strike, as it was he moved his head out of the way. It was not a great game but City were the better team. Desperately disappointing but I would agree the Brighton defeat felt worse for me.

Correct, Orr's injury caused him to move out of the way, but why did Carey go to ground?

Archived