IGNORED

Silly Season - Ex City Players

bristolcitysweden

Remember years and years ago the forum team played at the training ground, the opposition had a little guy in a woolly hat running around the middle of the park doing everything.

Didn't take long to realise who it was. I was playing full-back that day and the way Brown would repeatedly collect the ball, spin and ping a ball 50-60 yards over my head to the feet of the winger was unlike anything I'd faced before or have faced since.

Was always a willing player but as others have said, not quite good enough for us overall.

Lee Johnson would have played alongside Wilson wouldn't he. I don't remember anything much about him, Wilson, another 'meh' player for us.

But part of the squad which won promotion and reached the Championship playoff final. A small part, granted, and he's probably not of Championship ability, but we should be careful who we dismiss as 'meh'. I'd certainly take that level of mediocrity again.

Pretty certain you could hear Brown's leg break, was a nasty one. As someone else said, he had a hell of a shot for a little fella

As for Wilson, bumped into him once at Cribbs. His 'wag' was one of the ugliest I've ever seen. For a young lad on decent money he hadn't done very well for himself at all

But part of the squad which won promotion and reached the Championship playoff final. A small part, granted, and he's probably not of Championship ability, but we should be careful who we dismiss as 'meh'. I'd certainly take that level of mediocrity again.

I just didn't find him very memorable for us. We've had better and we sure have had worse. From my (bad)memory didn't we try playing him in a few positions but never really let him settle, always seemed to be filling in for players who were injured or suspended which is never easy. However he hasn't gone on and done much better anywhere else so I think my point is valid.

I just didn't find him very memorable for us. We've had better and we sure have had worse. From my (bad)memory didn't we try playing him in a few positions but never really let him settle, always seemed to be filling in for players who were injured or suspended which is never easy. However he hasn't gone on and done much better anywhere else so I think my point is valid.

He went from being a bit time player as you said filling in the holes to first name on the team sheet and club captain, depends what your perspective of "done much better" is. 

He went from being a bit time player as you said filling in the holes to first name on the team sheet and club captain, depends what your perspective of "done much better" is.

Fair enough, can't say I've really followed his career after he left us. I was wrong to assume he hasn't been a success and apologise.

That said I haven't seen him mentioned very much on here. You know the usual, an ex player comes good and people are clambering him for him to return.

Every good team needs a player or two who can do a job in most positions to the required standard and not let anybody down. Those players never stand out and often get forgotten but they do a valuable job. Not being memorable is not the same as not being valuable.

I always thought Wilson looked OK for us, just for one reason or another never nailed down a regular spot.

As for memories, does no one remember that cracking 30 yard shot at Leicester that thumped against the bar, came down well over the line, but wasn't given?

I've heard stories that fans who met Wilson didn't think much of him, but I don't necessarily need to like City players.

Pretty certain you could hear Brown's leg break, was a nasty one. As someone else said, he had a hell of a shot for a little fella

As for Wilson, bumped into him once at Cribbs. His 'wag' was one of the ugliest I've ever seen. For a young lad on decent money he hadn't done very well for himself at all

So not shallow at all there Woodsy !

Archived