IGNORED

70 Years On #dday70

Forza Revolution

To think young lads ( 17-19 ) just younger than me fought for our Country the way that they did, is quite simply remarkable. I have the upmost respect for each and every one them.

Rest in peace my fellow countrymen, we will never forget.

Bit of history for you all.

I was a nipper in 1944 and still remember the sirens going off and standing in ration queue's. Sirens, rations and home farming allotments did not stop in 1945, food and McDonalds did not suddenly appear in 1945. 

Grandpa received an MC at Buckingham palace for his actions in the trenches during WW1. Like Winston we had an American side to the family and my father was a tank commander under Patton in WW2. I am the only Bristolian listed in the Time/Warner 173rd Airborne Vietnam book and again with the Royal Australian Regiment books, The Fighting First and Blue Lanyard , Red. Banner. Oh well you might as well have the lot, I rated a chapter in a Texas publication called Lost in the Victory.

The family lost a generation as my sons got into drugs in their 20's when I worked overseas, however my grandson has applied for military college, so we might get back in the game before I pass on.

For me a special day with a lot of memories. We owe so much to servicemen who gave their lives for freedom throughout the world.

We will remember them.

Rednready.

I just hope the generation after us always remember. Its going to get harder when the last of those brave souls are gone its up to us to make sure they are always remembered by telling our kids and grandchildren.

Will they buggery. In our PC world they will roll over and let anyone but British take over and decide how this is country is run. I am afraid these brave men laid their lives down for a absolute disgrace of a society that is only getting worse.

I expect they are turning in their graves.

Very moving to see those veterans in Normandy today, the last official commemoration.

While the Americans copped the worst of it on Omaha; our boys did themselves proud with their bravery.

If (unlikely, I know), that you have not seen Saving Private Ryan, then watch the opening 25 mins to experience what these brave guys (many still teenagers),had to contend with on June 6th 1944.

Bless 'em all !!

Could I also recommend Band of Brothers. It show the 101st Airbourne go through training and then all the way through to the end of the war.

We as a family spent 4 days in Normandy last summer,it was a truly awe inspiring 4 days.

These boys and men from this country and many others who fought for freedom are heroes.

The Bayeux cemetery has British,Aussie,Kiwi and even Polish soldiers who fought alongside each other buried there.

Also we should remember the thousands of French who died on DDay.

This is the problem and the UK we live in.

Imo each and every child attending school should learn about the pain and struggle our forefathers had to endure - i don't think its in the curriculum, ?  

it may teach them a bit of respect ! 

If people want the next generation to show respect to the fallen soldiers in the battle the best way to do so is teach your kids/grandchildren.

As a child you listen more to your parents than teachers. You do most of your learning at home.

Imo shouldn't be the schools responsibility. If parents want there kids to show respect then parents should be the ones teaching/telling them about relatives who fought in the wars

We as a family spent 4 days in Normandy last summer,it was a truly awe inspiring 4 days.

These boys and men from this country and many others who fought for freedom are heroes.

The Bayeux cemetery has British,Aussie,Kiwi and even Polish soldiers who fought alongside each other buried there.

Also we should remember the thousands of French who died on DDay.

We shouldn't forget the Canadians either. Although, of course, if you watch US TV and films, the whole war was won by Yanks. I recently watched a programme describing the Battle of the Bulge as the greatest tank battle ever. Never heard of Kursk then, guys?

Archived