IGNORED

70 Years On #dday70

Forza Revolution

I think alongside the Battle of Britain/The Blitz , D-Day is the image conjured up when WW2 is mentioned.

A phenomenal operation, that even included towing concrete harbours across the channel while ports werr captured/repaired along the coast.

Apart from the incredible floating harbours, I'd reccomend to anyone to read up about Point Du Hoc. Simply unimaginable.

Amazing bravery, how frightened they must have been. And so young, just boys, same age as those now doing A-Levels or going to Uni, they didn't have that choice did they.

Frightening for the families left behind to who didn't know when or if they would see their loved ones again, no chance of a quick phone call or Skype message for them. I really can't imagine what the not knowing was like.

I am very glad to see so many of the veterans looking so well and making the journey to France. I saw one 89 year old did a tandem parachute jump, far braver than me even now. I thank each and everyone of them for their bravery and sacrifices they made, too much to comprehend.

when you read what actaully happened on the d-day landings and the amount of cock ups there were it its even more amazing what theres hero's did for us, europe and the world as a whole,

Rest in peace you brave men

Very moving to see those veterans in Normandy today, the last official commemoration.

While the Americans copped the worst of it on Omaha; our boys did themselves proud with their bravery.

If (unlikely, I know), that you have not seen Saving Private Ryan, then watch the opening 25 mins to experience what these brave guys (many still teenagers),had to contend with on June 6th 1944.

Bless 'em all !!

True grit, true Brits.

I thank them all for the freedom we enjoy today.

As someone said on the radio today, kids nowadays go into melt down if they haven't got broadband for a couple of hours. They haven't a clue.

70 years ago a generation of kids showed the most unbelievable levels of bravery and sheer guts.

We owe them everything and must never forget them.

Rest easy brave souls.

The biggest potential suicide mission in history was the dropping of paras the night before the landing. If the seaborne troops had been defeated, those paras would have been stuck there until they ran out of food & ammo.

The other point to consider is that if the landings had failed, the Soviet Union would have ended the war bu controlling far more of Europe than they ended up with in 1945.

when you read what actaully happened on the d-day landings and the amount of cock ups there were it its even more amazing what theres hero's did for us, europe and the world as a whole,

Rest in peace you brave men

Too true. There were several major disasters in the practice landings in Dorset. On one occasion some E Boats slipped in and sank several American ships. On another practice, live ammo was being used by the defenders who had orders to fire above the heads of the British attackers, just so they could get used to live ammo being fired at them. The defender's machine guns were set up and on commencement of firing, the front legs sank into the soft sand leading to the barrels aiming at chest height instead of over the heads.

I just hope the generation after us always remember. Its going to get harder when the last of those brave souls are gone its up to us to make sure they are always remembered by telling our kids and grandchildren.

I genuinely hope this becomes a major part of the national curriculum for years to come. The whole of World War Two has so many incredible stories which need to be understood, carried forward and many of them never repeated.

I took a 10 day battlefield tour to Normandy a couple of years ago and it was one of the most humbling experiences of my life. A visit to the Bayeux cemetery should form part of every kids education.

Watched the footage on the news. Not ashamed to say I welled up like ****.

Those guys ran into machine gun fire for freedom, democracy, and the greater good.

Bravery like that will never be repeated. Every man that landed on those beaches should be made a knight of the realm, in life and in death.

The term hero is used so easily in todays world BUT these men were true hero's in every sense of the word. They showed bravery that day that very few people will understand. I really believe that even the soldiers of today must look at D day and think...."thank God that was not me" so was the risk of being killed that day.

My respect will always be with those men......no boys cos thats what they were....boys. Im 41 and would not have the courage that they showed that day. 

There sacrifice must never be forgotten. 

This year also marks 100 years since the start of the First World War in 1914. A completely different type of war.

I read a little bit about the Great War recently in 'Girls with Balls' which is obstensively about women's football (there is a decent section on the history of football in general). Almost impossible to understand the horror of it all from where I sit.

Archived