IGNORED

Did Rovers Help Us In 1982?

SecretSam

and didn't even wish Bristol well for the pkay offs.

I can understand the club (BRFC) remaining silent over the WC bid because at the time the UWE Stadium wasn't even a pipe dream and the Rovers board would have been well aware of the backlash they would receive from their bitter fans in effectively supporting a new stadium for City. At the time we were a top half Championship side and they were a bottom half League 1 side.

However, it amazes me how many Saghead rugby fans have said they would not watch the Rugby at Ashton Gate, some have even switched to Bath and Gloucester since Lansdown got involved. I bet plenty of City supporting Bristol Rugby fans have been able to watch rugby at the Mem since 1996 without crying and throwing a paddy like sad little *****. Some of them are overjoyed at the fact that the rugby club that represents their City has failed to get promotion.

To switch allegiances to a rival because your club is being financed by a man who's only crime is to also be involved with Bristol City tells you all you need to know about the sad mindset of many (not all) Gasheads.

As I remember it they tried to steal our ground in our financial plight (then did the same to the rugby club) the city council was going to help us out with a sum of money but Rovers kicked up such a stink and demanded the same amount of money and the council withdraw their support.

I can understand the club (BRFC) remaining silent over the WC bid because at the time the UWE Stadium wasn't even a pipe dream and the Rovers board would have been well aware of the backlash they would receive from their bitter fans in effectively supporting a new stadium for City. At the time we were a top half Championship side and they were a bottom half League 1 side.

However, it amazes me how many Saghead rugby fans have said they would not watch the Rugby at Ashton Gate, some have even switched to Bath and Gloucester since Lansdown got involved. I bet plenty of City supporting Bristol Rugby fans have been able to watch rugby at the Mem since 1996 without crying and throwing a paddy like sad little *****. Some of them are overjoyed at the fact that the rugby club that represents their City has failed to get promotion. So so bitter.

To switch allegiances to a rival because your club is being financed by a man who's only crime is to also be involved with Bristol City tells you all you need to know about the sad mindset of many (not all) Gasheads.

Most Bristol Rugby fans detest the gas for stealing their ground.

That's probably the real reason a few gas supporting rugby fans have switched allegiances.

Switching to Bath & Glos!!!?!?!?!?!  Then they obviously were never Bristol Rugby fans to begin with. (i am a City & Bristol Rugby fan btw)

We are used to the so called "fans" switching between clubs during our promotion and then relegation years. To me that means you are not a true fan, just someone who watches teams to be seen to be watching

Blimey...if i had that mentality, I'd be switching Football and Rugby teams every other year! Wouldn't be able to keep up!

A number of teams helped us out in our time of need

Were the blue few among them?

Just the opposite.

Rovers tried to get their hands on AG on the cheap, and many of their fans were eagerly looking forward to dancing on City's grave.

Just the opposite.

Rovers tried to get their hands on AG on the cheap, and many of their fans were eagerly looking forward to dancing on City's grave.

and some people on here wonder why we are taking so much joy in their relegation?

I never want to see them go out of business like they do with regards to us, I just want them to continue to tumble through the leagues

Switching to Bath & Glos!!!?!?!?!?!  Then they obviously were never Bristol Rugby fans to begin with. (i am a City & Bristol Rugby fan btw)

We are used to the so called "fans" switching between clubs during our promotion and then relegation years. To me that means you are not a true fan, just someone who watches teams to be seen to be watching

Blimey...if i had that mentality, I'd be switching Football and Rugby teams every other year! Wouldn't be able to keep up!

keep them out of Kingsholm!

Two teams funded a friendly for us and that was Southampton vs Ipswich at Ashton Gate!

Rovers would never ever help us

I was just going to post this. Both those sides also.took a collection from their league game crowds to help us out.

Worth remembering this friendship in our hour of need.

I always remember when they did manage to "acquire" the Mem, the Evening Post printing on their front page how marvellous it was. They didn't care that Bristol were on the brink of going out of existence.

No suprise, we all know how much the Evil Post love the blue few. anybody have an idea why?  :blink:

:chant6ez:  :chant6ez:  :chant6ez:  COLIN DANIEL CITY HERO!! :chant6ez:  :chant6ez:  :chant6ez: 

After the club was saved Peter Aitken and Phil Kite came on loan to bolster TC's kindergarten squad.

Not really, as above, Peter Aitken joined City in 1980.

Phil Kite played 6 games for City in 1994 - 96 before retiring - by which time TC's kindergarten squad were in their early 30's!

Aidan McCaffrey was the sag who joined City on a short term loan.

Two teams funded a friendly for us and that was Southampton vs Ipswich at Ashton Gate!

Rovers would never ever help us

Good god, I would have definitely attended the game but until you mentioned it I would have sworn it never took place. Now I have this vague memory. I know 1982 was a traumatic time for us all but I would've been 13 so I ought to have some lasting memory of this.

Not really, as above, Peter Aitken joined City in 1980.

Phil Kite played 6 games for City in 1994 - 96 before retiring - by which time TC's kindergarten squad were in their early 30's!

Aidan McCaffrey was the sag who joined City on a short term loan.

Thanks, in the cold light of day that makes much more sense!

Before you get too precious about it, it was hardly City's finest hour. If you think the Rovers board have behaved like shysters in the recent past, and you then tarnish the club because of their actions, then that same cap fitted with City in 1982.

Get real, there is no comparison. Various Gas boards down the years have milked the club for all they could get to benefit themselves personally. In 82 it was all about saving the club as a result of decisions made attempting to be successful on the field, not as a result of lining their own pockets.

Get real, there is no comparison. Various Gas boards down the years have milked the club for all they could get to benefit themselves personally. In 82 it was all about saving the club as a result of decisions made attempting to be successful on the field, not as a result of lining their own pockets.

I suppose it's natural that fans should stick up for their own club, but it is quite comical how many can only accept that everything their rivals do is bad and everything their club do is good.

I may start a thread on here entitled 'Has our board always acted honourably' to see if any City fans will concede that it may not have always been the case.

To balance that I will start a thread on our own forum entitled 'Is our away support really that good?'

Archived