IGNORED

Rooney Or Cahill?

Carey 6

Been having a little debate with a couple of friends, the question is, who is more important going into this World Cup, Wayne Rooney or Gary Cahill?

My view on it is that without Cahill our average defence becomes a poor one (Smalling) but without Rooney we could still have Barkley/Ox/Lallana playing behind Sturridge

I still believe Rooney is class but for me without Cahill we'd struggle to even get out of the group stage

Rooney has the ability to be the best player on the pitch for England but it's the age old question of whether 'that' Rooney turns up.

No win situation for Roy really. Will be slated if he leaves him out against Italy and we lose, will be slated if he starts and we lose (because if Rooney doesn't score and we lose then it will naturally be Rooney's fault...)

Back 4 scares me to death to be honest. Glen Johnson must be the worst fullback who has a nailed on starting place in his national team!

Rooney has the ability to be the best player on the pitch for England but it's the age old question of whether 'that' Rooney turns up.

No win situation for Roy really. Will be slated if he leaves him out against Italy and we lose, will be slated if he starts and we lose (because if Rooney doesn't score and we lose then it will naturally be Rooney's fault...)

Back 4 scares me to death to be honest. Glen Johnson must be the worst fullback who has a nailed on starting place in his national team!

problem is I can't really think of a better right back going on what was on show last season,

Cahill, The defense looks ropey at best, without him it will be a shambles

Rooney meh, I don't particularly care if he plays at all, I think he us a waste of a strikers space truth be told.  We have Lallana and Stirling that can perform his best suited role.

Cahill, The defense looks ropey at best, without him it will be a shambles

Rooney meh, I don't particularly care if he plays at all, I think he us a waste of a strikers space truth be told. We have Lallana and Stirling that can perform his best suited role.

Cahill literally has to stay fit but I'm glad the FA didn't go back on Terry.

Rooney has to play, he has 39 international goals Lallana, Berkley and Sterling have 0 between them so I wouldn't rely too heavily on them.

When was the last time "that Rooney turned up"? I can't remember him having a good game in ages ?

Cahill literally has to stay fit but I'm glad the FA didn't go back on Terry.

Rooney has to play, he has 39 international goals Lallana, Berkley and Sterling have 0 between them so I wouldn't rely too heavily on them.

All good then, they are all starting on zero WC goals aren't they? big difference, none of the new lads have been to a WC I think Rooney has proved himself :)

I think the only good thing Wayne has done for England in WC finals, was get himself sent off.

;)

When was the last time "that Rooney turned up"? I can't remember him having a good game in ages ?

he has never turned up at a world cup, the last time he performed in a major tourny was in 2004, which is why (rightly imo) people are questioning him and why (again rightly imo) Roy is diverting the questions away from him

Cahill really has become Mr Consistent for club and country over the last 12 / 18 months, was always a fan back to his Bolton days

Don't get the hatred towards Rooney. How many England players have turned up on the big stage, Gerrard, Lampard? Have they bollocks, but they don't play for United, so they are safe. I would start Rooney, but I wouldn't worry too much if he got injured. I guarantee all the haters will be singing his name if he bags a last minute winner on Sat night / Sun morning

Funny that everyone, and I mean everyone, agrees that Johnson is frickin useless, but he doesn't get the same stick as someone who has scored 39 goals for his country.....

How about he leaves rooney out and we win, or he keeps him in and we win...those are both win situations for roy, are they not?

Cahill all the way. If he gets injured then we're all knackered.

Cahill really has become Mr Consistent for club and country over the last 12 / 18 months, was always a fan back to his Bolton days

Don't get the hatred towards Rooney. How many England players have turned up on the big stage, Gerrard, Lampard? Have they bollocks, but they don't play for United, so they are safe. I would start Rooney, but I wouldn't worry too much if he got injured. I guarantee all the haters will be singing his name if he bags a last minute winner on Sat night / Sun morning

Funny that everyone, and I mean everyone, agrees that Johnson is frickin useless, but he doesn't get the same stick as someone who has scored 39 goals for his country.....

last world cup aside (which really was a shambles) we normally get knocked out on penners so I would say a fair few do turn up

last world cup aside (which really was a shambles) we normally get knocked out on penners so I would say a fair few do turn up

Really? I would struggle to tell you who stood out in the last 3 or 4 World Cups. Ferdinand in 02 perhaps, then I'm struggling

None of them perform at this level, because they aren't good enough as a unit, let alone individually. Looking forward to the Euro's, lets see how good Shaw, Lallana, Barkley et all are. They excite me more than anything we've seen in a long, long time. Shaw is the one that stands out, but I guess as he looks like he's going to United he'll be the next public enemy. And before anyone says it, not a closet United fan in the slightest

Really? I would struggle to tell you who stood out in the last 3 or 4 World Cups. Ferdinand in 02 perhaps, then I'm struggling

None of them perform at this level, because they aren't good enough as a unit, let alone individually. Looking forward to the Euro's, lets see how good Shaw, Lallana, Barkley et all are. They excite me more than anything we've seen in a long, long time. Shaw is the one that stands out, but I guess as he looks like he's going to United he'll be the next public enemy. And before anyone says it, not a closet United fan in the slightest

Beckham has always stood out for me as has Owen and Gerrard, they have never let us down, I could say the same about peter crouch as well who always had the knack of getting goals,

The problem we've had is the goldern generation tag and the over hyping from the media, that isn't here this time, (not that we will win it)

Beckham has always stood out for me as has Owen and Gerrard, they have never let us down, I could say the same about peter crouch as well who always had the knack of getting goals,

The problem we've had is the goldern generation tag and the over hyping from the media, that isn't here this time, (not that we will win it)

That's the good thing about this tournament, no pressure, no Golden Generation. That will change IF we get to the quarter finals and come up against Brazil or Spain (as I think can happen?), the papers will flip it round and be on about the new Golden Generation of young lions.....

As I said before, the Euro's in two years will be interesting. Lets hope there's another 3 or 4 young talents come through in the meantime who can get themselves in the squad before hand and get some experience. But then I guess, by default, they are the Golden Generation and the whole things starts again!

That's the good thing about this tournament, no pressure, no Golden Generation. That will change IF we get to the quarter finals and come up against Brazil or Spain (as I think can happen?), the papers will flip it round and be on about the new Golden Generation of young lions.....

As I said before, the Euro's in two years will be interesting. Lets hope there's another 3 or 4 young talents come through in the meantime who can get themselves in the squad before hand and get some experience. But then I guess, by default, they are the Golden Generation and the whole things starts again!

keep an eye on Harry Kane, Jorden Ward-Prowse, Conor Wickham,  Liam Moore Luke Garbutt, Eric Dier, Will Hughes and Danny Ings,

All should really be playing in the prem and all capable of stepping up to full international over the next 2-4 years if their devlopment continues the way its going

As I said before, the Euro's in two years will be interesting. Lets hope there's another 3 or 4 young talents come through in the meantime who can get themselves in the squad before hand and get some experience. But then I guess, by default, they are the Golden Generation and the whole things starts again!

To be fair if we beat Brazil/Spain in the quarters they'll deserve the hype they get!

The only English CB on Cahill's level is Terry, for me those 2 are the strongest CB's we have. Shame the FA forced Terry out. 

Frankly I'd rather see someone who isn't a complete c##t playing, despite Terry's footballing ability. Absolute tosspot of the highest, highest order.

Archived