IGNORED

David Bentley

kachina

His retirement makes interesting reading. The one time England player who cost Tottenham 15m, wasn't awful out on loan but unable to find a club since being released last year, he has now retired. 

Classic case of a big wage Charlie here, who could have found a club last year but always wanted silly wages, living in a dream world. Now retired at 29.

Classic example of a player who got too much too early.

States himself he's lost interest in playing and was only playing the last couple of years for money.

I thought it odd last year when he couldn't get a club, but he made 1.5m himself when he signed for Tottenham on a 5 year deal, where he was rumoured on 50K a week !

Just goes to show that people slate some players we've had who were on fair wages, but at least they tried, and put in a shift. What a waste of all that talent.

I agree that it's a classic case of too much too soon. Of course he's fallen out of love with the game. Wouldn't you if nobody wanted you? The problem is he is in the dream world. He could have dropped down to league 1, done well somewhere and rebuilt his career but he's too 'big time' for that. No prem team wants him cos he's very average and wants too much money.

I agree that it's a classic case of too much too soon. Of course he's fallen out of love with the game. Wouldn't you if nobody wanted you? The problem is he is in the dream world. He could have dropped down to league 1, done well somewhere and rebuilt his career but he's too 'big time' for that. No prem team wants him cos he's very average and wants too much money.

Perhaps he thinks he is better than what he is.

This man sums up all what is wrong with English football and British society . This man is a complete CU NT

What a dumb post. He could carry on sitting on a bench picking up thousands of pounds a week like a lot of players do. It's the clubs that pay these wages.

This man sums up all what is wrong with English football and British society . This man is a complete CU NT

Don't pretend you wouldn't do it if you could. Not saying it's right but if clubs are going to throw stupid money and long contracts at average players what do you expect!

Would you go and work for 10k a year doing something you love, if you were used to doing something you didn't for 50k?

I agree with you.

Yes its the clubs fault for throwing the money, But it seems as if his ego has taken a huge knock by no one in the prem offering a contract near his expectation.

If he realised he's only remembered for two games

Blackburn vs United and Spurs vs Arsenal

Then he'd accept a wage cut. He's retiring as he can't get a big wage by the sounds of it which to me deserves the title CU NT

Football is a job. You have to work for your money. Do you reckon he put in an ounce of the effort Hargreaves put in when he got released over the course of last season?

That talent wasted on a greedy arrogant individual

As someone still playing Sunday morning pub football at the age of 40 I find it hard to accept that a guy at 29 wouldn't want to drop down the leagues and find a level were he could still make an impact. I remember watching the likes of Frank Worthington, Gerry Francis and of course our own Terry Cooper and Joe Jordan in the 1980s playing lower league football for City.

However, if it is true he no longer enjoys playing then fair play, but if it is an ego thing because he thinks he is too good to turn out for Exeter etc then that is very sad and deluded.

Whats the beef.. Football's a job at the end of the day and he's had enough of it. Dont blame him

For falling out of love of the game either.

Never in love with the game, that's why he can give it up (and the millions already in his bank) I,m still playing at 55 when I shouldn't be

, because I do love the game.

He's gone to Spain with his mrs to set up a restaurant. I work with a friend of his mrs and by all accounts he's a very down to earth guy.

Unfortunately some people do just fall out of love with the game. Assou-ekotto has quite openly said he doesn't enjoy playing football, it's just something he happens to be good at. I guess that will happen when you can earn a lot of money from it

He's gone to Spain with his mrs to set up a restaurant. I work with a friend of his mrs and by all accounts he's a very down to earth guy.

Unfortunately some people do just fall out of love with the game. Assou-ekotto has quite openly said he doesn't enjoy playing football, it's just something he happens to be good at. I guess that will happen when you can earn a lot of money from it

Interesting (4 year old) article about Assou-Ekotto and money. http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/may/01/benoit-assou-ekotto-tottenham-hotspur

I speak to a few football agents quiet regularly... and you would not believe how many footballers have lost their love of the game, and only continuing playing because it pays well and because they know no different.

All the passion they had as a kid, has died and it has become just a job to them.

As fans...we only see it from the outside looking in and wishing we could be in their place...but it's not always that easy.

I had a passion for a sport and then it became my job...it became a totally different entity. The perception changed and what had been seen through just pure passion and rose tinted glasses changed.

Football fans have no right to complain about what footballers earn or what they do....as they are just as much a part of the problem.

If they don't like what they are watching...don't go, and don't pay anything into the game.

The sooner 'fans' stop going and paying tv subscriptions...the sooner it will change...it's that simple.

Instead they just keep feeding the problem...then moan about their lot over a pint down the pub or on a forum...Clubs know that and wont change.

I speak to a few football agents quiet regularly... and you would not believe how many footballers have lost their love of the game, and only continuing playing because it pays well and because they know no different.

All the passion they had as a kid, has died and it has become just a job to them.

As fans...we only see it from the outside looking in and wishing we could be in their place...but it's not always that easy.

I had a passion for a sport and then it became my job...it became a totally different entity. The perception changed and what had been seen through just pure passion and rose tinted glasses changed.

Football fans have no right to complain about what footballers earn or what they do....as they are just as much a part of the problem.

If they don't like what they are watching...don't go, and don't pay anything into the game.

The sooner 'fans' stop going and paying tv subscriptions...the sooner it will change...it's that simple.

Instead they just keep feeding the problem...then moan about their lot over a pint down the pub or on a forum...Clubs know that and wont change.

Fans buying a season ticket and going to the games isn't what's causing wage inflation. It's TV/Marketing/Advertising. The sooner people stop getting fleeced by Sky et al by paying extortionate subscriptions to watch Football on TV the better.

Stop falling for the hype and watch your team in the flesh. That way things will get sensible again.

If I had my way, there would be legislation to keep sport on free-to-air television. The money that Sky pump into any sport becomes a corrupting influence at some point and ruins the things that made it attractive for viewers in the first place. Then you are left with the sterile, superficial and overhyped piece of crap that is the Premier League and people STILL buy into it thanks to massive amounts of marketing and advertising.

I've a feeling that it's already too late to save football, but it's starting to happen to cricket as well and I hate it.

It's also why I don't understand people complaining about the TV Licence. An advertising free service is the exact reason why I fully support it.

Fans buying a season ticket and going to the games isn't what's causing wage inflation. It's TV/Marketing/Advertising. The sooner people stop getting fleeced by Sky et al by paying extortionate subscriptions to watch Football on TV the better.

Stop falling for the hype and watch your team in the flesh. That way things will get sensible again.

If I had my way, there would be legislation to keep sport on free-to-air television. The money that Sky pump into any sport becomes a corrupting influence at some point and ruins the things that made it attractive for viewers in the first place. Then you are left with the sterile, superficial and overhyped piece of crap that is the Premier League and people STILL buy into it thanks to massive amounts of marketing and advertising.

I've a feeling that it's already too late to save football, but it's starting to happen to cricket as well and I hate it.

It's also why I don't understand people complaining about the TV Licence. An advertising free service is the exact reason why I fully support it.

Did you actually read my post? I said stop paying into TV subscriptions... :facepalm:

I read somewhere recently, that the Prem league could actually run without paying, watching fans.

However....the way to make change is to do both...stop tv sky type subscriptions and talk with your feet...that is the only way football would take notice.

I however...have no problem with going to watch City play, and pay to do so, as I've no interest in the Prem or watching on Sky.

Did you actually read my post? I said stop paying into TV subscriptions... :facepalm:

I read somewhere recently, that the Prem league could actually run without paying, watching fans.

However....the way to make change is to do both...stop tv sky type subscriptions and talk with your feet...that is the only way football would take notice.

I however...have no problem with going to watch City play, and pay to do so, as I've no interest in the Prem or watching on Sky.

Did you read your own post?.

You said "If they don't like what they are watching...don't go, and don't pay anything into the game.

The sooner 'fans' stop going and paying tv subscriptions."

That might work for Prem clubs, but it won't work for a club like ours. Don't get you anti City / football fan stance TBH.

Oh nearly forgot.... :grr::facepalm: :facepalm: :grr::blink::grr:

You also said "If they don't like what they are watching...don't go, and don't pay anything into the game."

The only way things are going to change is for people, as a whole and not individuals, to become less impervious to marketing and hype.

It's not going to happen and it's a crying shame. Bill Hicks had it all spot on and he's been dead twenty years.

Money corrupts, and there's far too much of it in football. It's still one of the paradoxes of my inconsequential life, that I love to see City win and do well, but I would absolutely hate for us to get to the Premier League, unless we played by our own rules and refused to pay the wages that everyone else does. But then, we would go straight down and it would be no fun for anybody.

It's an overused quote but....If you work in advertising or marketing, kill yourself.

You also said "If they don't like what they are watching...don't go, and don't pay anything into the game."

The only way things are going to change is for people, as a whole and not individuals, to become less impervious to marketing and hype.

It's not going to happen and it's a crying shame. Bill Hicks had it all spot on and he's been dead twenty years.

Money corrupts, and there's far too much of it in football. It's still one of the paradoxes of my inconsequential life, that I love to see City win and do well, but I would absolutely hate for us to get to the Premier League, unless we played by our own rules and refused to pay the wages that everyone else does. But then, we would go straight down and it would be no fun for anybody.

It's an overused quote but....If you work in advertising or marketing, kill yourself.

But why go...If you don't like something and complain about it?

Why buy the football shirts with the advertising all over it.

Why do the Clubs use advertising and marketing?

Even this forum has advertising on it.

If people don't like it...don't use it...don't buy into it, don't support it.

I do agree...I hate advertising. It's everywhere and ruins nearly everything.

I won't buy a football shirt unless it just has a Club badge and number on the back.

Who wants to look like an advertising hoarding? They should be paying you to walk around advertising their brand.

But who do you blame? Footballers...the Clubs...or the fans that follow like lemmings and just complain but except it...?

If they stopped buying, going and just letting Clubs and businesses run how they want...even if it were for just one season...they would sit up and take notice.

Like you say...it won't happen...but it does make me laugh when 'fans' complain about footballers and 'modern football', yet still buy into it....

Did you read your own post?.

You said "If they don't like what they are watching...don't go, and don't pay anything into the game.

The sooner 'fans' stop going and paying tv subscriptions."

That might work for Prem clubs, but it won't work for a club like ours. Don't get you anti City / football fan stance TBH.

Oh nearly forgot.... :grr::facepalm: :facepalm: :grr::blink::grr:

I'm only anti stupid football fans...if you actually read my posts properly...you'd understand I'm neither anti city or football fan... so that makes two of us...because I don't understand you either. And as you want to play the stupid football fan...'ave that :bored:  :icecream:

I'm only anti stupid football fans...if you actually read my posts properly...you'd understand I'm neither anti city or football fan... so that makes two of us...because I don't understand you either. And as you want to play the stupid football fan...'ave that :bored:  :icecream:

you must hate looking in the mirror then

I rarely go these days, initially enforced due to having children etc., but I very much doubt now that I will become a regular attendee again until I feel that the club's attitude to fans has changed, but that is a private thing for me and I would not dare to criticise anybody that does still go. The people that pay to watch the club they support are not, and never have been, part of the problem.

You can try to blame 'the fans' for buying into it all but, whilst it is easy for individuals to say 'not me', it is people as an amalgous mass that enable advertising and marketing to work. You will very rarely find an individual that will admit to being influenced by it at all.

Until society as a whole changes to become less affected by what is being sold to them as shiny and glitzy, then there is no turning back for football. It has sold it's soul to the devil and there's nothing me not buying a shirt or subscribing to a TV channel is going to do about it. All the same, I will continue to not buy into it, knowing it's a pointless exercise, otherwise I would feel too much of a hypocrite.

And now I'm going to stop before I talk myself into becoming a vegetarian, but that's a different argument.

But why go...If you don't like something and complain about it?

Why buy the football shirts with the advertising all over it.

Why do the Clubs use advertising and marketing?

Even this forum has advertising on it.

If people don't like it...don't use it...don't buy into it, don't support it.

I do agree...I hate advertising. It's everywhere and ruins nearly everything.

I won't buy a football shirt unless it just has a Club badge and number on the back.

Who wants to look like an advertising hoarding? They should be paying you to walk around advertising their brand.

But who do you blame? Footballers...the Clubs...or the fans that follow like lemmings and just complain but except it...?

If they stopped buying, going and just letting Clubs and businesses run how they want...even if it were for just one season...they would sit up and take notice.

Like you say...it won't happen...but it does make me laugh when 'fans' complain about footballers and 'modern football', yet still buy into it....

You appear to be overlooking the emotional capital invested in it by generations, dating back to the 19th century and the game's establishment.  

You appear to be likening it to brand of cider or television manufacturer or where to go on holiday.

I think the more sensible people, who have an always will love their football do keep the financial investment to a minimum.

A mass boycott, as much as I would like to see it, is sadly unrealistic.   

You appear to be overlooking the emotional capital invested in it by generations, dating back to the 19th century and the game's establishment.  

You appear to be likening it to brand of cider or television manufacturer or where to go on holiday.

I think the more sensible people, who have an always will love their football do keep the financial investment to a minimum.

A mass boycott, as much as I would like to see it, is sadly unrealistic.   

I haven't overlooked it fella...It's because of that 'emotional investment' that the Clubs are able to take advantage of fans loyalty.

It's all about money...they get rich...the fans get poorer...simple as that.

Sometimes 'emotional investment' has to be put aside, and a reality check made for the future good of the game.

Watching regardless and buying into it, will not help change things.

Like you say...it's very unrealistic that a mass boycott would happen, as it runs too deep...but that's the reason why Clubs can take advantage. For a fan...it is a lifestyle with history...for a Club, it's a business and a brand....however much they want to spin it otherwise.

That's why I said I laugh at 'fans' moaning about what decisions footballers make with their lives or how much they earn...fans pay into that problem. They moan on here or down the pub but never make the decision to make a stance. I admire those who do and make a stance. Personally...I still pay to watch City and lower league Clubs...but I won't buy a Sky subscription or any of the horrible football shirts advertising sponsers. That's my personal choice.

you must hate looking in the mirror then

I have no problem looking in the mirror thanks.

It gives me great pleasure knowing I can fight my own corner and have debate, without having to hide behind other forum users and having nothing worth saying. Always attacking posters rather than the post....probably down to the knuckle dragging most primates do behind bars....come back when you've got something worthwhile saying....rather than just hanging on the tails of others.... In the meantime I'll ask the box of frogs to stop pointing and laughing at you...

Archived