IGNORED

Car Suddenly Using More Petrol

Dollymarie

Firstly, please no corsa jokes.

I've got an 11 plate corsa which I have had for a year now. It has one of those things that tells you how many miles you have left before you need to fill up again. The last week or so it suddenly seems to be using A LOT more fuel than usual.

For example I've done about 20 actual miles this weekend, but the number of miles it's telling me I have left has gone down by about 3 times that.

I've not been sat in loads of traffic, I haven't gone on the motorway, I don't have air conditioning, other than my windows.

It got MOT'd and serviced less than 2 months ago, the brakes failed the MOT and so they were replaced.

I can literally drive along and see the numbers, and to some extent the fuel gauge going down. I put petrol in the car on Friday afternoon and it said I had 290 miles til I had to fill up, today it is down to 214. Up until the last week, it has always been accurate and not gone down this fast.

I can't see any obvious drips under the car, so would that rule out a fuel leak?

Any help would be much appreciated, as I am getting a bit worried now.

Well you're thinking like a mechanic in ruling out what I was immediately going to suggest:

I've not been sat in loads of traffic, I haven't gone on the motorway, I don't have air conditioning, other than my windows.

As that's usually the cause of the predictive miles remaining dropping as it works off an average recent mpg.

Assuming it's petrol-engined have a crawl under the car after it's been running and smell for petrol under the tank, fuel pipes, engine.

If there is a smell then I you have a leak and need to get it to the garage asap as it's a fire risk.

If not then I'd be popping down the garage and asking them to run a diagnostic check on it, it could just be one of the sensors that controls the fuel mixture is on the blink.

I have absolutely no sense of smell, so I can't tell if there is one.

When I've been driving on/off my driveway this weekend, I've been getting out and checking for any patches of wet on the driveway, and there don't appear to be any. Would it be dripping out even when stationary?

It had a free diagnostic check when it had it's MOT, but that was the end of April.

When I've been driving on/off my driveway this weekend, I've been getting out and checking for any patches of wet on the driveway, and there don't appear to be any. Would it be dripping out even when stationary?

It had a free diagnostic check when it had it's MOT, but that was the end of April.

Not necessarily (and well done on the correct spelling of stationary!).  If it's in the pipes or fuel pump it will only leak when the engine's running, and as petrol's very volatile it doesn't need to be forming obvious drips to be losing a fair old chunk.

Ask your neighbour or somebody else with a sense of smell to check it for you, people are surprisingly happy to help, I spent two evenings last week helping a friend move house for a few pints and I was happy to help out, better than watching the telly all night.

How soon after it got parked would the smell still be there?

I could get someone in work to check tomorrow, but I'm usually in for about an hour before anyone else arrives.

Is there likely to be a leak given it's a youngish car, or does it not work like that?

I just worry about taking it to a garage, see a woman coming and think pound signs.

How soon after it got parked would the smell still be there?

I could get someone in work to check tomorrow, but I'm usually in for about an hour before anyone else arrives.

Is there likely to be a leak given it's a youngish car, or does it not work like that?

I just worry about taking it to a garage, see a woman coming and think pound signs.

It's volatile so the smell will go, ideally you wnat somebody to have a check when it's running.

This is really for elimination, as it's such a new car there's no reason for any of the pipework to have perished or rusted so I would expect it's the fuel sensor which can fail at any time on any age of car.

If you go into the garage saying you think it's running rich because of the fuel sensor and can they check it then they'll do just that.

My bet would be on the recently "fixed" brakes.

Fixed two months ago, problem this week.

So I die on the aeroplane because of the cheese I buy you and you can't smell it !!

Seriously I expect you may have a problem with the Oristoculator which may have come loose from the Discabooberator hence the problem you describe

Mine does it. I think it is more than likely stuffed up its calculations. What you will probably find is that the numbers will start dropping really slowly. What does your fuel gauge tell you?

Mine does it. I think it is more than likely stuffed up its calculations. What you will probably find is that the numbers will start dropping really slowly. What does your fuel gauge tell you?

My fuel gauge I would say has dropped more than it normally would considering I only filled I it up two days ago, it said I had 290 miles left then. I drove home from asda Bedminster to Bishopsworth, then drove from Bishopsworth to Easton, then from there to Nailsea, back to Bishopsworth, then today drove from here to Easton and back again. It's now reading I have 214 miles left, but I haven't done anywhere near that. Didn't get stuck in traffic in any of that travelling bar maybe a few minutes home on Friday afternoon.

My fuel gauge I would say has dropped more than it normally would considering I only filled I it up two days ago, it said I had 290 miles left then. I drove home from asda Bedminster to Bishopsworth, then drove from Bishopsworth to Easton, then from there to Nailsea, back to Bishopsworth, then today drove from here to Easton and back again. It's now reading I have 214 miles left, but I haven't done anywhere near that. Didn't get stuck in traffic in any of that travelling bar maybe a few minutes home on Friday afternoon.

I would think it was more likely fuel sensor. Is it still under warranty? Trouble is they charge for diagnostics even under warranty.

Personally I would fill the car up fully and do the calculations yourself from full to empty so you have some ammo to go to the garage with. I always find it better doing it that way instead of relying on the tech.

I would think it was more likely fuel sensor. Is it still under warranty? Trouble is they charge for diagnostics even under warranty.

Personally I would fill the car up fully and do the calculations yourself from full to empty so you have some ammo to go to the garage with. I always find it better doing it that way instead of relying on the tech.

Warranty for everything ends after 3 years doesn't it?

Warranty for everything ends after 3 years doesn't it?

I thought Vauxhall were doing 5 years 100k miles now? I am guessing that may have been bought in later than 2011. Don't think you transfer the warranty to a new owner either.. Which is really shit on Vauxhalls part.

I thought Vauxhall were doing 5 years 100k miles now? I am guessing that may have been bought in later than 2011. Don't think you transfer the warranty to a new owner either.. Which is really shit on Vauxhalls part.

Yeah I didn't have it from new. Got it from a dealer just over a year ago now.

If you are judging from the range/miles left in the tank figure then that will usually vary dependent on your past driving. Not sure how Vauxhall's instrumentation work but normally it will judge miles left based on your recent trips consumption figures. If that's high consumption urban driving it'll reduce your range significantly if, previously, you've been mixed or distance driving.

As others have suggested, also be worth checking your brakes. After a run, place your hand by the wheel to see if there is abnormal heat from one or more of the wheels. Could be a binding brake(s).

Think there are some expert mechanics on the forum who'll no doubt have a view.

I'd suggest filling the tank and then manually recording the number of miles you can do before the tank needs refilling. You can then work out your MPG manually and that should give you an idea of whether it's within normal range for the engine etc.

Take your fuel tank capacity in litres, divide by 4.55 and then take the number of miles you can do on a full tank and divide by that number.

So if you have a 40L fuel tank and you can do 250 miles on the tank, it's (250 / (40 / 4.55)) = 28mpg

Obviously if you're only getting 100miles out of a tank you know something's wrong before you crunch the numbers!

I suggest going to a garage for one of those free brake tests to rule the brakes out. If a brake is sticking that could be why you are using more fuel. Also I remember watching something once that said for the first year or so the car likes to make you believe the fuel consumption is amazing, any truth in this? Like a full tank the first half on the gauge will always last longer than the 2nd half therefor half not being half.

Thanks all, would the brakes have suddenly caused this after 2 months? As in would the fault not have developed soon after they were changed.

And can someone tell me what brakes binding means, in simple terms.

The car isn't feeling any different to drive.

Binding means the breaks are stuck on, maybe only very slightly so you hardly notice it but obviously the car is working harder to move.

Have you been carrying lots of extra loads, more passengers, shopping etc. Using a roof rack?

Also driving with the windows down during hot weather isn't very fuel efficient either, creates extra drag apparently.

Evaporation?

Even taken into account all of the above the use of fuel shouldn't be as much as you are experiencing I don't think, so in other word I am clueless too, sorry!

I have no sense of smell sadly, so can't tell a lot of the issues that come up with cars.

Drove to work this morning with the windows shut, still did it. Didn't put the fan on either and I have no air conditioning. I drove 5 miles to work, miles left went down by over twice that.

Have kindly had a forum member offer to plug it into a computer this afternoon so will come back and update. Hopefully they can check the brakes too.

When your car is 'cold' and warming up to temperature, the fuel remaining indicator will be higher on many cars. It will then drop as you drive it more - then steady and be fairly accurate.

It's quite common for a full tank to say 514 miles for example, then after a 15/20 mile journey it'll say 470. From there, it will steadilly go down as per your mileage.

Your mileage estimation is also sporadic (initially) if you've reset your MPG average on the cluster.

My guess would be to drive it a bit more and see if it sorts itself out. It normally does.

If the brakes are binding they will stink. Sniff around each wheel

More to the point, it would cause a drop in braking sesnsitivity as the heat will affect the condition of the brake fluid. Your brakes would feel weaker and most likely generate a squeel or a whir.

Archived