IGNORED

Car Suddenly Using More Petrol

Dollymarie

Well it got plugged in to the computer, no faults detected. He said it didn't smell of a fuel leak, and also that the brakes aren't binding.

No idea what it is then! Gonna go get the tyre pressures checked, but it's not ages since I did them.

Also discovered I actually do have air con, I've just never used it. It was a button I thought was for defrosting the car.

Well it got plugged in to the computer, no faults detected. He said it didn't smell of a fuel leak, and also that the brakes aren't binding.

No idea what it is then! Gonna go get the tyre pressures checked, but it's not ages since I did them.

Also discovered I actually do have air con, I've just never used it. It was a button I thought was for defrosting the car.

I already gave you an idea, post #29.

It has several models in the same book. Plus the button is only mentioned in terms of defrosting as I wondered what it was when I got the car.

You're not alone. On the Simon Mayo Confession slot they had somebody who'd convinced his kids that the TA button (traffic alerts) in fact stood for teacher alert, and if they misbehaved he would threaten to push it. They were now buying their own cars and he was asking if he should break it to them.

No more ideas from me. Whoever that kind forum member was (name and credit!) they've done my checks.

Dolly - you should definitely do what I said above - brim the car and then note the miles you get out of a full tank.

You can then use that to calculate your exact MPG which will give you an indication of whether it's normal or not.

I'm guessing it's a 1.2 or 1.4 petrol?

Assuming 'normal' round town driving I'd expect around 28-30mpg depending on how heavy your foot is.

I think they have a 45L tank so that should equate to roughly 270-290 miles or so out of a full tank based on the above, but obviously depends on how and where you drive, air con usage, windows open, load etc.

Obviously if you're getting 150 miles from a tank then something's up.

Will do next time I fill up. Although I've been only putting like 25 quid a time in recently because I learnt at speed school ages ago that having a full tank makes the car heavier so you use more petrol.

That and things are a bit tough financially at the moment.

Yes it's a 1.2 petrol

There's some truth in the car being slightly less fuel efficient when full up but the difference between a full tank and half tank is negligible - bear in mind the car weighs about 900kg empty anyway!

My old 1.25 fiesta was less economical than my 1.6 Focus because it's a very heavy car powered by a very small engine, same applies to the corsa to a point, it's never going to be super economical with such a low power to weight ratio.

I'd say if you're getting 250 miles or more from a full tank you're doing ok, much less than that and I'd be suspecting something's up or you have a very heavy right foot!

I think my fiesta was a 45L tank too and even when I was ragging it id get 260-280 miles from a tank

It's an odd thing to happen.

I would try some Redex (make sure you get the petrol one!) in your fuel tank as this will unclog the injectors if they're clogged and basically clean up your engine a bit. This may be all it is given that you've checked the rest.

It cleared my EGR warning light on a previous petrol Astra and I was fortunately able to impress somebody shortly after that when they had the same problem and I advised them to do the same; it worked.

It's an odd thing to happen.

I would try some Redex (make sure you get the petrol one!) in your fuel tank as this will unclog the injectors if they're clogged and basically clean up your engine a bit. This may be all it is given that you've checked the rest.

It cleared my EGR warning light on a previous petrol Astra and I was fortunately able to impress somebody shortly after that when they had the same problem and I advised them to do the same; it worked.

I keep hearing from mechanics you shouldn't put redex in new cars. Not being a mechanic I don't know if this is the correct info or not

I keep hearing from mechanics you shouldn't put redex in new cars. Not being a mechanic I don't know if this is the correct info or not

I don't disagree, it's there to strip off surface deposits so if it's new you don't put it in as there aren't any deposits. 

My Astra was about five years old when the EGR came up so that was the first time I used it.  Dolly's car is three years old so would have some deposits already, and sometimes you get bad batches of fuel which will have an immediate adverse effect. There were a lot of car problems one week in an area I was working with the only common factor being that they had filed up with petrol at the same local supermarket.

I don't disagree, it's there to strip off surface deposits so if it's new you don't put it in as there aren't any deposits.

My Astra was about five years old when the EGR came up so that was the first time I used it. Dolly's car is three years old so would have some deposits already, and sometimes you get bad batches of fuel which will have an immediate adverse effect. There were a lot of car problems one week in an area I was working with the only common factor being that they had filed up with petrol at the same local supermarket.

Thanks for the info

• Admin

Will do next time I fill up. Although I've been only putting like 25 quid a time in recently because I learnt at speed school ages ago that having a full tank makes the car heavier so you use more petrol.

That and things are a bit tough financially at the moment.

Yes it's a 1.2 petrol

No need to use a whole tank to work it out, fill up and then when its 3/4 or so used top up and work the MPG out from that, so only one big money fill up.

Its a good habit to get into to keep the fuel tank full, more so with diesels than petrol, as it stops condensation forming in the tank and then contaminating the fuel and rusting the inside of the tank, causing particles to enter the fuel system. They should get filtered out, but with the cost of fuel injection systems, why run the risk.

Archived