IGNORED

Fire Destroys The Dovecote

Redtucks

• Admin

Was it half hour on a Sunday?

It was half an hour every night, Bristol pubs shut at 22.30, country pubs at 23.00, there was always a convoy of cars and motorbikes heading up Dundry Hill at 22.30 to the Dundry Inn, to get that extra half hour drinking in. ( That was in the days when drink driving was not so severly frowned upon ).

It was half an hour every night, Bristol pubs shut at 22.30, country pubs at 23.00, there was always a convoy of cars and motorbikes heading up Dundry Hill at 22.30 to the Dundry Inn, to get that extra half hour drinking in. ( That was in the days when drink driving was not so severly frowned upon ).

.......those were the days. I would sometimes be amongst a motorcycle pack heading from the Coach and Horses Clifton to the Granary at Welsh Back. The Granary has now been converted to flats and the Coach and Horses ceased being a biker pub on a Friday decades ago. No way do I believe that I'm looking back with rose tinted specs because Bristol was a far better city during the 80s.

Was very sad driving past it this morning. Place looks pretty much destroyed. There has been scaffolding put up already around it, hopefully that's to start work, rather than to be securing it due to the state it's in.

I had heard there was a concern it would all collapse, but seeing as that was gossip in the David Lloyd jacuzzi I am not sure how true it was!  There did seem to be a fair amount of wall still standing although as I was driving I didn't have that close a look.

I think it may be listed, so that may complicate rebuilding.

Why oh why can't they rename it the Smyth Arms again though? 'The Ashton' - must of taken a good 30 seconds to think that one up. It was only called the Smyth arms from 1860 till vintage inns decided it wasn't tradiotnal enough

It should Indeed be The Smyth Arms,especially as I worked there for 6 years and saw many a City player in there - 1973 to 1978.

The old man still bangs on about this boozer and how, when he was a lad, it used to stay open late as it was outside the city limits, thus was always full of Bristolian drunkards til the early hours

The old man still bangs on about this boozer and how, when he was a lad, it used to stay open late as it was outside the city limits, thus was always full of Bristolian drunkards til the early hours

Not quite. It closed half an hour later so all the drunks hammered over there for a last pint.

Archived