IGNORED

Corey Smith Signs

class not gas

How many assists did Kelly get for us in his time here..?

Think you can mark his time with us as void - but no doubting his ability before his signing at AG and subsequent injury.

Don't make me get the Xavi stats out and his poor goalscoring/assists records despite being one of the best creative footballers in history!!! ;) ;) ;)

It's been said he runs and runs and we have been wanting some energy in the centre for ages who will provide some bite ad actually close down opposition runs. That will be his role and I'm sure he will do very well. He will also give Elliot and pack licence to play and spray the ball about.

I'm very excited for this season. Keeper, striker and back up cb and were sorted and hopefully well be rid of el abd as I don't think he fits in with us

Maybe it's a case of Norwich naturally being on the attacking front foot giving him more freedom to venture forward compared to being at Oldham.

Sure with the way Cotts sets sides out, and the fact he's come in for Kelly who is arguably much more creative, that his plan is to utilise his holding strengths.

You're having a 'mare here mate!

Why has SC said he wants to get goals out of Smith if he is planning on playing him solely in front of the back 4? Makes no sense whatsoever!

You're having a 'mare here mate!

Why has SC said he wants to get goals out of Smith if he is planning on playing him solely in front of the back 4? Makes no sense whatsoever!

This isn't FIFA or FM - the real life game allows for flexibility in player movements and actions. Just because he's a holding midfielder, doesn't mean we can't expect him to pop up with the odd goal.

This isn't FIFA or FM - the real life game allows for flexibility in player movements and actions. Just because he's a holding midfielder, doesn't mean we can't expect him to pop up with the odd goal.

I'm well aware of that, and if you are then it makes your comment about him not passing the halfway line all the more baffling... You said "he wins the ball and stops". That is not true and I should bloody hope that's not all he does to be honest!

This video of his time at Norwich shows what we are getting with Korey Smith. He seems more interested with setting up his colleagues and keeping things neat and simple. At the end of the video he chips in with a few goals. But his signing excites me, I think this may prove good business long term.

Norwich city supportin mate of mine says korey is full of energy, puts himself about and has a few goals in him. He has plenty of championship and league one experience behind him too and given he was oldhams captain shows he can be influential on the pitch. May make a good vice captain for sammy b. I'm quite pleased with this signing

How did he become a regular at Norwich challenging in the championship to playing for Oldham, with all due respect that's quite a big drop

I think I saw a Norwich fan say that he lost his place when Norwich spent a bit of money following their Premier League promotion, and after Lambert left for Villa, Hughton never had him in his plans. Apparently he was a key figure in their back to back promotions.

I think I saw a Norwich fan say that he lost his place when Norwich spent a bit of money following their Premier League promotion, and after Lambert left for Villa, Hughton never had him in his plans. Apparently he was a key figure in their back to back promotions.

So how did he end up at Oldham?! Surely he could of at least obtained a championship club with his successful seasons with Norwich.

I'm not questioning his signing by the way, just makes me curious

Exactly what jordan says. He was pivotal in their climb up the leagues but once they reached the big time, so they began spending and smith lost out. Their loss, oldhams gain and it speaks volumes that he was their captain.

Vast experience at a good age with a good attitude and leadership qualities. Good little signing we have there.

Some thoughts from a Norwich blogger before his last season at Norwich.... http://holtamaniablog.wordpress.com/2011/05/26/season-review-18-korey-smith/

In short he was the victim of a horror tackle and then didn't get a look in as they started bringing better players in to fit with their Premier league status. At the time they expected him to be loaned out to a Championship side, but if you're out of the first team reckoning for a while I suppose the interest is not the same. He clearly dropped down a division to get football. Seems like the logical thing for a serious professional to do.

I have tried to compile a breakdown of his career stats.

NORWICH:-
Season,      Apps, (+ sub), Goals, Yellows, Reds.
2008/2009      1        (1)         0             0         0         -   Championship
2009/2010    38       (2)         4             1         0         -   League 1 (Promotion)
2010/2011    21       (9)         0             0         0         -   Championship (Promotion)

BARNSLEY (LOAN):-
2011/2012     11       (2)         0             1         0         -   Championship

YEOVIL (LOAN):-
2012/2013     18       (1)         0              1        0         -   League 1 (Promotion)

OLDHAM (LOAN):-
2012/2013     8         (1)         0              2        0         -   League 1

OLDHAM:-
2013/2014     42      (0)         1              1        0         -   League 1

Yeah seems a bit odd if he was so influential. 

He's young and he went out on loan to several clubs, perhaps Oldham made him feel wanted, sometimes in the short term that's a good way to get your career back on track 'big fish small pond', it seems to have gotten him noticed again and it seems that nobody knew that he might be available, also seems that SC went for the don't ask don't get philosophy.

I have tried to compile a breakdown of his career stats.

NORWICH:-
2008/2009      1        (1)         0             0         0         -   Championship
2009/2010    38       (2)         4             1         0         -   League 1 (Promotion)
2010/2011    21       (9)         0             0         0         -   Championship (Promotion)

BARNSLEY (LOAN):-
2011/2012     11       (2)         0             1         0         -   Championship

YEOVIL (LOAN):-
2012/2013     18       (1)         0              1        0         -   League 1 (Promotion)

OLDHAM (LOAN):-
2012/2013     8         (1)         0              2        0         -   League 1

OLDHAM:-
2013/2014     42      (0)         1              1        0         -   League 1

Great disciplinary record

Great disciplinary record

aye, looking at the youtube snippets, he stays on his feet a lot when making challenges, no diving in.  Something I like in a player who can break up play.  Looks promising

Archived