IGNORED

Final Pieces Of Jigsaw ?

westonred

I think the squad is coming along nicely with the 4 new signings adding quality and experience to the squad

However I still think there will be lots more ins and outs before the season starts

We obviously need a Keeper, Centre Half, Midfielder and Striker to come in to make the squad complete

I also think that El Abd, Moloney and Wynter will possibly all leave

I would like to see Gillett return to cover for our midfield, if we get any injury to Elliott or Smith it just leaves Pack and Reid who were too lightweight playing alongside each other last season

It sounds as if El Abd has fallen out with the club and may be leaving (Rumours on here before you ask for a source) so I would like Nosworthy or Elokobi to come in with Flint used as back up

A Brooker like striker is needed, someone to take the pressure off of Baldock  and give us a new dimension up front  

I cant see Moloney wanting to stick around now, hardly used last season under Cotts and now Little brought in, I think we could always use Wagstaff in the RB/RWB roll as a stop gap if little did get injured or move Osbourbe across and bring Flint into the Centre  

Anyway I can't wait for the season to start now COYR's Good Luck for this Season

Not sure we'll go for another midfielder, with centra options as JET, Pack, Reid, Wagstaff, Freeman, Elliott, and Smith, we are adequately covered. Waggy and Freeman have both said they can play central so with Smith & Elliott first choice, I think in JET who can drop back to central midfield, Pack, Reid and then the two wingers who can play in the middle, I think we have enough to suggest we don't need to purchase anyone. Cotts let Kelly go as he wanted first team football and he couldn't promise him that, so it would state anyone who brought in for central midfield would basically be a bench warmer and not sure anyone would want to sign for that. Simon Gillet will want first team football, so can;t imagine him wanting to come here to warm the bench.

Agree re a keeper, and also think that a central defender as cover for Williams, Flint, El-Abd and Osborne is probably needed, if El-Abd does leave, but I do feel Cotts will give El-Abd the pre season to prove he can still do a job for us, but imagine he'll be tracking Elekobi and or Nosworthy if he feels he needs to bring them in and try and move El-Abd out.

A holding striker / Target man is needed, and personally think Alex Ravell would be a good shout. Done well for Rotherham and although he is 30, Rotherham have been buying several striking options and he might find his position under pressure and he has already proven himself in this league, so he would be worth a look and would probably only cost 400-500k, and given he knows how to score and at 6ft 6 is strong in the air and good at holding the ball up he could do a job. Him being 30 may put Cotts off, but he still has a good couple of years in him, and he is out of contract at the end of next season so Rotherham may be willing to sell.

I think Keeper, Central Defender and Striker will be all we look at now, but also expect Parish, Wynter and possibly El-Abd to leave.

Don't think he'll sell Moloney and think he'll be content to be in a rotation team.

If there is another area in midfield , I imagine we'll look at cover on the wings as we only have Freeman, Wagstaff, Burns & Possibly Baldock for those positions. 

Not sure we'll go for another midfielder, with centra options as JET, Pack, Reid, Wagstaff, Freeman, Elliott, and Smith, we are adequately covered. Waggy and Freeman have both said they can play central so with Smith & Elliott first choice, I think in JET who can drop back to central midfield, Pack, Reid and then the two wingers who can play in the middle, I think we have enough to suggest we don't need to purchase anyone. Cotts let Kelly go as he wanted first team football and he couldn't promise him that, so it would state anyone who brought in for central midfield would basically be a bench warmer and not sure anyone would want to sign for that. Simon Gillet will want first team football, so can;t imagine him wanting to come here to warm the bench.

Agree re a keeper, and also think that a central defender as cover for Williams, Flint, El-Abd and Osborne is probably needed, if El-Abd does leave, but I do feel Cotts will give El-Abd the pre season to prove he can still do a job for us, but imagine he'll be tracking Elekobi and or Nosworthy if he feels he needs to bring them in and try and move El-Abd out.

A holding striker / Target man is needed, and personally think Alex Ravell would be a good shout. Done well for Rotherham and although he is 30, Rotherham have been buying several striking options and he might find his position under pressure and he has already proven himself in this league, so he would be worth a look and would probably only cost 400-500k, and given he knows how to score and at 6ft 6 is strong in the air and good at holding the ball up he could do a job. Him being 30 may put Cotts off, but he still has a good couple of years in him, and he is out of contract at the end of next season so Rotherham may be willing to sell.

I think Keeper, Central Defender and Striker will be all we look at now, but also expect Parish, Wynter and possibly El-Abd to leave.

Don't think he'll sell Moloney and think he'll be content to be in a rotation team.

If there is another area in midfield , I imagine we'll look at cover on the wings as we only have Freeman, Wagstaff, Burns & Possibly Baldock for those positions.

only 400-500k for a 30 year old striker with only a year left on his contract! Do you live in cloud cuckoo land?

only 400-500k for a 30 year old striker with only a year left on his contract! Do you live in cloud cuckoo land?

Why do you say that ? 400-500k is not a huge amount of money for a proven striker in the division who has just won his team promotion to the Championship, He knows how to score. We signed Trundle at 1m when he was 30 !!

I would say 400-500K is not a big price to pay for a player who could help achieve promotion. 

People who see these youngsters sign for 300-500k  also forget that most of these come with further costs should we get promoted or play x amount of games, and normally have a sell on fee.

When you buy someone older it's generally just a fee.

Why do you say that ? 400-500k is not a huge amount of money for a proven striker in the division who has just won his team promotion to the Championship, He knows how to score. We signed Trundle at 1m when he was 30 !!

I would say 400-500K is not a big price to pay for a player who could help achieve promotion.

People who see these youngsters sign for 300-500k also forget that most of these come with further costs should we get promoted or play x amount of games, and normally have a sell on fee.

When you buy someone older it's generally just a fee.

because we got into financial trouble by spunking money like that on players with no sell on value!

For me the following are a must if we are serious about promotion:

- Centre back

- Ball winning defensive midfielder

Defensive frailty was the issue last season. Look at our goals scored versus against. We scored more goals than anyone not in the top 6 (aside from Coventry whose league placing is a lie due to the points deduction)

Sheffield United finished 7th having scored 48 goals, we scored 70! The difference being that they conceded just 46 and we conceded 67!

An inability to keep goals out cost us last season, as it has in previous years.

Assuming we want to play with 3 centre backs again this year, we have:

Flint

Williams

El Abd

Osborne

So at least one other is needed. You can't rely on 4 people for 3 spots over a long season, and let's face it, El Abd and Flint were less than convincing (though I think there is much more to come from Flint at least)

But for me the difference between an average season and a good one will be a ball winning, dominating defensive midfielder.

Someone who can sit in front of the centre backs and break up the play.

Far too often last season we saw teams literally waltz through our lightweight midfield. I gather Korey Smith is more of a traditional centre midfielder rather than someone who will sit deep in front of the defence, so I'd expect him to have more of an attacking remit than a defensive one.

I'd be more than happy if the only additional player now is a striker to cover for Baldock and/or compete with JET.

Otherwise we can only afford to bring in a new keeper if Parrish goes, otherwise we'll have 4 (and we're not Man U) and we have 4 centre backs on our books already, so unless El-Abd goes SC has to find a solution, either he plays him or he is a squad player or he leaves. If he stays then he is a big part of the wage bill and so we cannot afford another.

With Smith, Elliott, Pack and Reid we are well stocked in central midfield and now have Freeman, Wagstaff and Bryan for the flanks.

I see smith as that ball winning midfielder who has the ability to come forward if needed. He will play behind Elliot and pack/Reid allowing them the freedom to play ball out wide etc.

I think what cotts wants is more energy and determination in the team. We haven't had that bite or urge to close down until gillett arrived which is why we have allowed opposition to walk right through us.

I now can't see a place for wynter so I think he will go out on loan and el abd will be irrelevant should we sign a new cb so think he may go.

Undecided on who should be our no.1 but partly hope fielding is given the opportunity unless we sign Moore

• Admin

For me the following are a must if we are serious about promotion:

- Centre back

- Ball winning defensive midfielder

Defensive frailty was the issue last season. Look at our goals scored versus against. We scored more goals than anyone not in the top 6 (aside from Coventry whose league placing is a lie due to the points deduction)

Sheffield United finished 7th having scored 48 goals, we scored 70! The difference being that they conceded just 46 and we conceded 67!

An inability to keep goals out cost us last season, as it has in previous years.

Assuming we want to play with 3 centre backs again this year, we have:

Flint

Williams

El Abd

Osborne

So at least one other is needed. You can't rely on 4 people for 3 spots over a long season, and let's face it, El Abd and Flint were less than convincing (though I think there is much more to come from Flint at least)

But for me the difference between an average season and a good one will be a ball winning, dominating defensive midfielder.

Someone who can sit in front of the centre backs and break up the play.

Far too often last season we saw teams literally waltz through our lightweight midfield. I gather Korey Smith is more of a traditional centre midfielder rather than someone who will sit deep in front of the defence, so I'd expect him to have more of an attacking remit than a defensive one.

We actually tightened up quite considerably from February onwards, conceding 22 goals in the 19 remaining fixtures & displaying top 5 form throughout.

The likes of Pack & Williams will be better from having a full season at this level under their belts & the signings we've made so far should make us stronger going forward.

The good thing for me is that it is still a fairly young team overall that with the right coaching should only improve as time passes. If we do manage to go up this season they are the right sort of ages and talents to step up the following season in the Championship - although I hope we spend this season targetting a top midfielder to replace Wade if we do get there. In the Championship the FFP rules change and we won't have the ability to make big fee signings.

I don't really enjoy pre-seasons of "In _______ we trust" followed by nothing until training resumes and then a few signings that almost feel like recruiting to keep the fans happy whilst failing to fill the voids that we discuss all summer regarding key positions.

I think this time though we have shown some real intent and I am actually feeling some trust that we will strengthen where needed. The fact that other clubs have noticed the quality of our signings shows our ambition and that could also help in the recruitment of further players.

I am certain we will see another 4 signings. 2 strikers, centre back and another midfielder. Another goalie would be nice but not essential.

I have to agree with this. We only have Baldock and Jet, plus Burns, so it Baldock or Jet (or both) got injured we'd be right in the brown stuff. I'd like to see a fox in the box type as with Freeman now on board I think we will have lots of chances setup, and a big ugly lump who is good in the air as we never look like we are going to score from Corners/set plays.

I like Waggy too - definitely one of our most consistent performers last season. But we have cover on the right (Burns, Little, etc.) and fear he will be sacrificed.

Waggy is a Cotterill type player ,gives his all and does n't stop running.He has the potential to weigh in with a few more goals this year.

I hope we keep him .

Archived