IGNORED

Am I Missing Something?

Bristol_Badger

There's been a lot of crap wrote on here over the last few years about the worth of the squads we've had. Not deliberately picking out names for any reason, but I remember Portland Bill lauding our squad the season we got relegated from the Championship. I couldn't understand it at the time, because to me it was clearly a pretty rank squad.

Then there was that kiddy (was it something like Brizzle Boy?) that came over as McInnes' love child. Embraced his appointment like that of a long lost lover, and still praised his every move right up to when he was sacked.

I don't claim to be a footballing tactician. Far from it, I'm an average observer, but what we have on here are some utterly awful ones that drag the average knowledge down, and I don't actually include Portland Bill in that, as he is normally pretty good. It was his claims that season that just stick in my mind.

As the above poster has correctly noted, the balance of the side looks very good indeed right now, and we have strong cover in most positions.

I've had little positivity about anything around the club the last few years, let alone the team, but for the first time in a long time I am very confident right now. That's no guarantee of success, of course, but I'm sure that if this squad doesn't perform it won't be because of lack of ability.

Have we not made good signings pre season before?

Have we not thought we had the right man for the job before?

Have we not thought this is our year before?

Got to love being a Bristol City fan!

To be fair, the opening games of our last two seasons in the Championship were not boyd with blind confidence.

The most sensible thing any City supporter should do is not spout predictions, pre-season, over the internet. The guy who made a giant hoorah about us definately getting relegated, this time last year (merce?), boldly ruffling feathers, has not emerged to explain himself.

Have we not made good signings pre season before?

Have we not thought we had the right man for the job before?

Have we not thought this is our year before?

Got to love being a Bristol City fan!

One must always try and be enthusiastic and, with what are undoubtedly better signings than last season, a fair dose of hope.

I say better signings because if you look at them and compare to last season I defy anyone, you especially, to place them in a worse light than the new players from a year ago.. and many of them looked more than decent. So, we always temper our enthusiasm with the most important caveat.. 'assuming they all gel on the pitch' because individual talent rarely shines bright enough without a team.

I think we are genuine top 6 contenders, i thought that before any signings were announced. I just feel a wee bit more confident about saying that now so well done to all concerned and have a safe, successful and injury free trip to South Africa and Botswana.

In previous seasons we have been excited by new signings and think this maybe our year however I cant remember such a turn around in playing staff  7 out of the 11 who start the 1st game of the season could be new players so fingers x'd it may just be a great season :)

:facepalm:

Still smarting, eh Rich?

At the risk of doing the mods job for you, shouldn't you be setting an example and keeping threads on topic rather than resorting to cheap emoticons in personal vendettas? Your posting history is littered with them, and as an established member of the site you should certainly be above that.

The squad has been imbalanced for years, now we've managed to clear the decks and the balance of the squad looks much better. It's no guarantee of success of course but after the last 4 years of drivel perhaps we can look up rather than over our shoulders.

One of the first thing McInnes did was to correct an unbalanced squad so it's not true to say the squad has been unbalanced for years.The squad wasn't overly lop sided and unbalanced last season either. The problem early on was the lack of quality players, particularly in defence and midfield.

Cotterill took over and almost immediately strengthened the squad. I got the impression that he was allowed to bring in new players whereas SoD had had his hands tied until then.

This summer Cotterill has been at again. Several players leaving and it looks as if at least 7 others have/are joining City.

While it's exciting to see a new squad being assembled we all know that it doesn't mean immediate success. We have been down the same road in many previous seasons and it's worth remembering that.

One of the first thing McInnes did was to correct an unbalanced squad so it's not true to say the squad has been unbalanced for years.The squad wasn't overly lop sided and unbalanced last season either. The problem early on was the lack of quality players, particularly in defence and midfield.

Cotterill took over and almost immediately strengthened the squad. I got the impression that he was allowed to bring in new players whereas SoD had had his hands tied until then.

This summer Cotterill has been at again. Several players leaving and it looks as if at least 7 others have/are joining City.

While it's exciting to see a new squad being assembled we all know that it doesn't mean immediate success. We have been down the same road in many previous seasons and it's worth remembering that.

pretty much spot on good post robbo

Archived