IGNORED

Cotts Been Fortunate?

Lew-T

It seems to me that Cotts has been provided with a big budget this summer after bringing Freeman and Ayling ( possible ) but also was given money to spend on Elliot, Nosworthy and Paterson. All very high earners I'd imagine.

Do you think SOD had his hands tied a little? Granted he brought in JET but that was a swap deal for Anderson. He might have brought big players and still been unsuccessful but I still think it's interesting.

SL must have faith in Cotts, that's for sure.

I think Cotteril has been lucky with the timing as much as anything. SOD did a lot of clearing out to get the wage bill under control but didn't have much room to manouvre. Cotts has reaped not only the benefit of a manageable wage bill, but also the contracts of several highly paid players expiring. Timing as much as anything, but he definitely has the backing of the board too

I'm sure that SL had faith in SOD too, otherwise he wouldn't have appointed him

SC has got lucky in as much he was the man who could clear Carey, Elliott, Fontaine, Pearson (think I'm missing another one out there, but can't think who it is!) out. Massive saving in wages, which can be reinvested in cheaper, hopefully hungrier, hopefully better players. He was obviously also backed with some excellent loan signings, which SL would have to have approved. Rich, our resident Swindon fan, summed it up nicely last season when Nosworthy and Paterson signed, believe he said something along the line of 'signings like that is why Bristol City were never going to get relegated'. No matter how worried we all were about the possibility I'm sure most other fans in and around the drop zone were thinking the same

It seems to me that Cotts has been provided with a big budget this summer after bringing Freeman and Ayling ( possible ) but also was given money to spend on Elliot, Nosworthy and Paterson. All very high earners I'd imagine.

Do you think SOD had his hands tied a little? Granted he brought in JET but that was a swap deal for Anderson. He might have brought big players and still been unsuccessful but I still think it's interesting.

It's possible but ,although i liked SOD and his approach,he failed.

If he failed to work with SL ,unfortunately , that was his his biggest mis take .However we shall never know and it serves ill to reopen the wound.

SL has always backed our managers with funding. Nothing new there.

Difference now is that SC has clearly done a lot of planning, scouting and work to identify who he wants and who will improve the team, rather than just add numbers to the squad.

SL clearly likes and trusts him.

SL has always backed our managers with funding. Nothing new there.

Difference now is that SC has clearly done a lot of planning, scouting and work to identify who he wants and who will improve the team, rather than just add numbers to the squad.

SL clearly likes and trusts him.

I'm liking his scouting technique...hanging out in Dubai Gyms and bumping into footballers... ;)  

Nope he failed, neither of the journeymen he signed worked, none of his loan signings worked and he played a system that isolated his best striker and as has been said elsewhere he set his team up to counter our opponents and that is not only not the BCFC way but a morale boost for our opponents before the first ball is kicked.

But to be fair he added to the academy infrastructure that DMC had started and left SC with a few promising signings.

Everyone, especially SOD, knew that last season was going to be tough but that money would be available this summer with senior players leaving. Obviously SOD would have preferred to stay in the job until now, but he knew the situation when he took over.

I still firmly believe that SOD was the right man at the wrong time. He'd be great at building something for the long term but you can't build for the long term when the club's in a death spiral. You need someone positive and inspiring like Cotterill or Johnson to get out of that situation. We just have to hope that this time around the directors can spot the right time to transition to a coach with more long term ideas (or, indeed, that Cotterill can be that man).

I notice that several of the players have said Cotterill's enthusiasm and drive, passion and vision for the club was a factor. Ok maybe not the deciding one as they will look at other things first. SoD may have been a brilliant coach but perhaps to many young players they couldn't relate to him like they would Cotterill. For me it would be like taking tennis lessons from Andy Murray, I might learn a lot but I couldn't stand the tuition.

Not really a huge budget. SCMP isnt about transfer fees it's wages to Turnover and successive cuts since Del was in charge and a much smaller, younger squad means that there is a lot to play about with as wages are less and there are less players being paid 

Only Millen and Delboy were really tied in terms of money for signings, but everyone had some and did with it what they could

SOD didnt have his hands tied, he just wasnt the man for the job. He bought players who should have worked out especially Shorey etc, but like everything else he turned us to rack and ruin.

SC has a vision a vibe and seemingly a plan, rather than moan about it, he's just getting on with it and I think that's where the difference is

How much did Millen spend on Stead and Pitman?

SOD went along with the "5 pillars" mantra just to get the job, Cotts has come in and said "carry on like this and we're screwed".    So no, I don't think Cotts is fortunate, he has just stood up the the suits and said "let me manage my way"

Both had spats with Sexstone in the papers about money and not being able to sign players. Macauley and Billy Jones seem to be the ones from memory. And that's been the only time afaik where hands have been tied. Del also had to cut Wages by half

Wasn't it more the case that West Bromwich Albion are just a hell of a lot more attractive than Bristol City in this case? If we have a limit then we stick to it. What's the point of trying to match a Premiership club?

Heard Del on talksport saying he cut wages in half, I'd love to know how he managed it, because I'm pretty certain he couldn't have got anywhere near doing that. I liked the bloke, and was obviously desperate for him to succeed, but lost a bit of respect for the guy after hearing the interview

Both had spats with Sexstone in the papers about money and not being able to sign players. Macauley and Billy Jones seem to be the ones from memory. And that's been the only time afaik where hands have been tied. Del also had to cut Wages by half

I'm not suggesting they didn't have to deal with their own pressures, but they both made significant signings that would have taken significant financial resources

Wasn't it more the case that West Bromwich Albion are just a hell of a lot more attractive than Bristol City in this case? If we have a limit then we stick to it. What's the point of trying to match a Premier League club?

Heard Del on talksport saying he cut wages in half, I'd love to know how he managed it, because I'm pretty certain he couldn't have got anywhere near doing that. I liked the bloke, and was obviously desperate for him to succeed, but lost a bit of respect for the guy after hearing the interview

I think the wage bill at the time was 18 million (when he came in) and he left it at 12 million (when SoD) came in,

Mciness had funds to spend he just didn't use it wisely.

The reason why we are suddenly signing class players at this level is simply because the Kilkenny, Fontaine, Elliott and Pearson wages have cleared up a huge amount of cash.

It's as simple as that.

Archived