IGNORED

Time To Shine Like A Diamond

Milo

Nice chart

I look at it and see that we finish 2nd once in every decade (roughly, if you count 1990 as 89/90. We have not finished 2nd in this decade yet.....

Our second place finishes are also evenly spaced and we will not have had one for 8 years come May 2015.....

Just to inform you. Diamonds don't shine, they refract light.  :whistle:  :innocent06:

Someone had better tell Rihanna then! So after the 'champagne shirt for champagne football' we are going to try Diamonds are we, hope we have more success with diamonds than champagne.

Hats off to the effort you put into that Milo. Very interesting. In particular the fact that 12th and 1st were the only 2 unfinished places before Cotts. Genuinely excited and trying to refrain from getting carried away this pre-season. Come on class of 2015!

Oh and also you can't beat that rift in the Floyd classic!

:bonkers: Where were we at Christmas in 54-55? 

After eight games we were top and stayed there until 18th December when a 4-1 home defeat to Gillingham put us into 2nd. We regained the top spot on Christmas Day, beating Reading 2-1 at home.

And did we stay top for the rest of the season? 

Nope. We stayed top for three games after that and then spent most of January and February in second. A home win against Southend on 26th Feb saw us go top again where we stayed for the rest of the season. In the days of two points for a win we finished nine points clear of second with 70 points; 30 wins, 10 draws and six defeats. In today's money that would have been 100 points with Leyton Orient finishing second on 87.

Nope. We stayed top for three games after that and then spent most of January and February in second. A home win against Southend on 26th Feb saw us go top again where we stayed for the rest of the season. In the days of two points for a win we finished nine points clear of second with 70 points; 30 wins, 10 draws and six defeats. In today's money that would have been 100 points with Leyton Orient finishing second on 87.

Cheers. Just had a quick look at our December fixture list, and we have Gillingham on the 28th  :xmas:

Did we actually play on Christmas Day?

In 1954 December 25th was a Saturday and 26th was a Sunday. Therefore Monday 27th was deemed Christmas Day Bank Holiday and 28th was Boxing Day Bank Holiday.

I know because on Monday 27th Dad took Mum to the Maternity Hospital and as there was nothing else to do, went to the Gate to cheer on City. I was born in the early hours of Tuesday 28th as the Doctor told my Mum "I don't want to miss Boxing Day lunch". That afternoon City won away at Reading I think as clubs played each other home and away on consecutive days at holiday periods.

One Easter City lost 4-1 at Plymouth and 24 hours later beat them by the same score at AG. 1958 was the last time City played on December 25th, a 2-1 defeat at Derby.

Archived