IGNORED

Grass Looking Good, Shame About The Flag.

Rich

A few mates kicking a pigs bladder about at the pithead in dean lane then, Circa 1867.BCFC 1867. official

Now that'd be a BBC4 documantary worth paying the license fee for.

In all seriousness, it might be worth asking the club why they went with 94 and 97.

Ok, to be a bit pedantic, that refers to Bristol South end, not Bristol City. Bristol City started as a club in 1897 that's why it states it on the crest. Southville were a competitor, so hardly classed as part of the formation as they didn't exist at the time of the amalgamation with Bedminster Fc.

For my second tupence worth Rich, I would say this. Many organizations change their name, however the founding date on the articles of incorporation (I have to say at this point I know much more about US law so any UK scholars please pop up with anything applicable) stay the same unless the organization is newly incorporated!

Thus it would be a matter (probably) of calling the lawyers and checking the paperwork on file. So put another way the Sags have a point with 1982, nevertheless that was duly celebrated by the club and players involved and many of us will never forget.

I would look to the original articles if they are available and that should supply an answer. Although I will still be for 1894 on a point of principle whatever they say :laugh:!!!

For my second tupence worth Rich, I would say this. Many organizations change their name, however the founding date on the articles of incorporation (I have to say at this point I know much more about US law so any UK scholars please pop up with anything applicable) stay the same unless the organization is newly incorporated!

Thus it would be a matter (probably) of calling the lawyers and checking the paperwork on file. So put another way the Sags have a point with 1982, nevertheless that was duly celebrated by the club and players involved and many of us will never forget.

I would look to the original articles if they are available and that should supply an answer. Although I will still be for 1894 on a point of principle whatever they say :laugh:!!!

I know it's a contentious issue and I'm not trying to extend it, Sometimes I wish I'd never said anything, anyway, Prince became the artist formerly known as Prince, he was still prince though.

We are getting away from the point though, the flag has two date references but only one reference to a club and that's Bristol City, not Bristol South End. Perhaps a flag with Bristol South End 1894, then Bristol City 1897, then BCFC 1982 in order would cover all angles but be a bit messy. You can't mix them up in my opinion.

As for the 1982 reference, I would argue that the club stayed the same, in the same stadium, with the same offices, the same staff and more importantly, the same registration with the Football League, so merely a company logo change and share transfer.

I know it's a contentious issue and I'm not trying to extend it, Sometimes I wish I'd never said anything, anyway, Prince became the artist formerly known as Prince, he was still prince though.We are getting away from the point though, the flag has two date references but only one reference to a club and that's Bristol City, not Bristol South End. Perhaps a flag with Bristol South End 1894, then Bristol City 1897, then BCFC 1982 in order would cover all angles but be a bit messy. You can't mix them up in my opinion.As for the 1982 reference, I would argue that the club stayed the same, in the same stadium, with the same offices, the same staff and more importantly, the same registration with the Football League, so merely a company logo change and share transfer.

Share transfer? Was there? I think it was a complete re-incorporation and there was a name change we just don't acknowledge it!

So I would argue ignore the 1982 like everyone else and go back to the original date of 1894 like I was taught growing up!

Bloody 97ers! :laugh:!

BTW Man Utd founded 1878. Changed their name from Newton Heath in1902. Man Utd founding date 1878.

Share transfer? Was there? I think it was a complete re-incorporation and there was a name change we just don't acknowledge it!

So I would argue ignore the 1982 like everyone else and go back to the original date of 1894 like I was taught growing up!

Bloody 97ers! :laugh:!

BTW Man Utd founded 1878. Changed their name from Newton Heath in1902. Man Utd founding date 1878.

Ok share transfer was the wrong wording, transfer of business with new share issue, everything else stayed the same. The old company stayed until the winding up, which as we know, was after BCFC 1982 had taken over. With the league registration continuation, it was effectively a change of administration only.

Archived