IGNORED

Grass Looking Good, Shame About The Flag.

Rich

I was at the ground today choosing my new seat and had a peak at the pitch. It's looking quite good already with lush new growth and evidence in places of the Desso.

On another point, I was in the shop and noticed that they have flags for sale and placed in a prominent position in the window. Now unless I've missed something, according to the years on the flags, we were formed in 1897 (on the badge) and 1894 in large letters on the flag. How on earth can this happen and how did the shop/buyers not notice?

Bristol South End were formed in 1894, becoming Bristol City in 1897. 

Guess it depends where you judge the starting point to be...

I know but, it's a Bristol city flag. Sort of sends out wrong information to the uninitiated.

Interesting.....Bristol rovers fans will tell you that they are the oldest club in Bristol however, they weren't 'Bristol rovers' until 1899

So.......

"View from the Dolman" is initiated,

"Rich" is uninitiated.

Simples.

Are you saying that I don't know the history of our club?

I'm pointing out that the flag has the wrong years printed on it, the club was formed in 1897, not 1894. And to make a stupid comment about me being uninitiated after supporting them for nearly fifty years makes the only thing simples, "Redtucks".

Are you saying that I don't know the history of our club?

I'm pointing out that the flag has the wrong years printed on it, the club was formed in 1897, not 1894. And to make a stupid comment about me being uninitiated after supporting them for nearly fifty years makes the only thing simples, "Redtucks".

Calm down.

It was a light hearted comment, following your concern for the uninitiated.

I never said anything about you not knowing the history of our club, and I'm sorry if that's what you thought.

As "View from the Dolman" said, it depends on when you judge the starting point to be.

From the clubs own potted history on the official website:

1894: Bristol South End Football Club are formed.

1897: The club is renamed Bristol City Football Club.

1900: Bristol City FC merge with Bedminster FC.

1982: A new club is formed: Bristol City FC (1982) Limited.

Therefore an argument could be made for any of these dates.

Anyway, as you say, I'm a simple soul and as such I'm not likely to loose any sleep over it.

From the other replies on the thread so far, it would seem that neither is anyone else.

Formed AT 16:53....not IN 1653. As you well know, which makes it a little bit of a futile comment, don't you think?

No... But then again I don;t take this futile petty rivalry serious either, obviously there are some on here who won't let it go with the Gas, that's OK if we really are so superior, but then we lose at Weston, and they crow, and we go quiet, you see all very churlish really.

Sometimes it is best to just to show some class, get on with supporting the City.

Calm down.

It was a light hearted comment, following your concern for the uninitiated.

I never said anything about you not knowing the history of our club, and I'm sorry if that's what you thought.

As "View from the Dolman" said, it depends on when you judge the starting point to be.

From the clubs own potted history on the official website:

1894: Bristol South End Football Club are formed.

1897: The club is renamed Bristol City Football Club.

1900: Bristol City FC merge with Bedminster FC.

1982: A new club is formed: Bristol City FC (1982) Limited.

Therefore an argument could be made for any of these dates.

Anyway, as you say, I'm a simple soul and as such I'm not likely to loose any sleep over it.

From the other replies on the thread so far, it would seem that neither is anyone else.

I'm calm, It's still wrong though. As you've pointed out, there are other dates linked with the formation of the club, why print only two of them. I hope I'm wrong but, I believe someone has cocked up and given the wrong year to the printers along with the existing club crest as artwork. After all why does the club crest state 1897?

I was at the ground today choosing my new seat and had a peak at the pitch. It's looking quite good already with lush new growth and evidence in places of the Desso.On another point, I was in the shop and noticed that they have flags for sale and placed in a prominent position in the window. Now unless I've missed something, according to the years on the flags, we were formed in 1897 (on the badge) and 1894 in large letters on the flag. How on earth can this happen and how did the shop/buyers not notice?

Unfortunately this is the one area I AM at issue with the club and particularly SL

OUR HISTORY was revised in 1997 to take in to account we Bristol City FC forgot to celebrate our centenary of 1894 to 1994. In order to gloss over that fact and for the club to make some centenary scheckles we celebrated the clubs centenary in 1997

Any City fan with my years on the clock will know that we were brought up to believe as a club we were founded in 1894 changing its name in 1897 on amalgamation. Much like The Boston Redsox who changed their name around 1911, however their founding date has never changed as they previously existed as the Boston Something Else's (the name escapes me)

Thus it pisses me off immensely to have the history revised as we were unable to get our shit together significantly in the 90s. So if the club is gently changing the founding date back to the 1894 date I for one am 110 percent behind the move

I'm calm, It's still wrong though. As you've pointed out, there are other dates linked with the formation of the club, why print only two of them. I hope I'm wrong but, I believe someone has cocked up and given the wrong year to the printers along with the existing club crest as artwork. After all why does the club crest state 1897?

Could be the someone along the line is dyscalclia?

Glad the grass is good, though.

Unfortunately this is the one area I AM at issue with the club and particularly SL

OUR HISTORY was revised in 1997 to take in to account we Bristol City FC forgot to celebrate our centenary of 1894 to 1994. In order to gloss over that fact and for the club to make some centenary scheckles we celebrated the clubs centenary in 1997

Any City fan with my years on the clock will know that we were brought up to believe as a club we were founded in 1894 changing its name in 1897 on amalgamation. Much like The Boston Redsox who changed their name around 1911, however their founding date has never changed as they previously existed as the Boston Something Else's (the name escapes me)

Thus it pisses me off immensely to have the history revised as we were unable to get our shit together significantly in the 90s. So if the club is gently changing the founding date back to the 1894 date I for one am 110 percent behind the move

Fair comment and I agree, let's have some clarity though.

I was at the ground today choosing my new seat and had a peak at the pitch. It's looking quite good already with lush new growth and evidence in places of the Desso.On another point, I was in the shop and noticed that they have flags for sale and placed in a prominent position in the window. Now unless I've missed something, according to the years on the flags, we were formed in 1897 (on the badge) and 1894 in large letters on the flag. How on earth can this happen and how did the shop/buyers not notice?

1894 on the flag is not incorrect for the Bristol South End constituent half of BCFC but really the date should be 1887 when Southville was formed that later became Bedmister FC that later merged with BCFC.

1894 on the flag is not incorrect for the Bristol South End constituent half of BCFC but really the date should be 1887 when Southville was formed that later became Bedmister FC that later merged with BCFC.

Ok, to be a bit pedantic, that refers to Bristol South end, not Bristol City. Bristol City started as a club in 1897 that's why it states it on the crest. Southville were a competitor, so hardly classed as part of the formation as they didn't exist at the time of the amalgamation with Bedminster Fc.

Ok, to be a bit pedantic, that refers to Bristol South end, not Bristol City. Bristol City started as a club in 1897 that's why it states it on the crest. Southville were a competitor, so hardly classed as part of the formation as they didn't exist at the time of the amalgamation with Bedminster Fc.

I'm all for taking things back to the source, like Top Gear did with the Nile in the Africa Special.

I'm all for taking things back to the source, like Top Gear did with the Nile in the Africa Special.

A few mates kicking a pigs bladder about at the pithead in dean lane then, Circa 1867.

BCFC 1867. official

Archived