IGNORED

Lost Identity - Now Part Of @bristolsport Franchise..

ricardob59

At the Watford club shop when the rugby was based there they would have rotating boards so at a football match it would display football mercindise and at a rugby match the boards would be turned around and display rugby merchindise. This also happens at a few stadiums abroad where the stadium is shared between teams. Have we considered this for our club shop?

Its pretty simple in the week have it as half and half then on match days turn the boards around so you have the full range of club merchindise available for which ever team to maximise profits as thats when the biggest footfall is on a matchday.

That sounds like the footballing equivilant of someone who is not comfortable with their sexuality.

Does seeing a rugby logo at Ashton Gate really concern you that much, now that our owner is funding us both?

How much do you value the Bristol Sport brand at?

How appropriate do you think it is to delete the words "Bristol City" from the club's retail website and replace them with the words "Bristol Sport"?

I sense we could be experiencing our first major marketing cock-up since Richard Gould left.

Red Zepperin

I am with you all the way on this. The Bristol Sport brand is destined to creep up on us, Protecting the identity assets of Bristol City Football Club is something we should all be concerning ourselves with.

Red Zepperin

I am with you all the way on this. The Bristol Sport brand is destined to creep up on us, Protecting the identity assets of Bristol City Football Club is something we should all be concerning ourselves with.

Totally agree...

People moan that the club isn't professional enough.

Bristol Sport hires experienced marketing and commercial people.

Bristol City can benefit from Bristol Sport's staff.

Bristol City (and equally Bristol Rugby/Bristol Academy WFC/Bristol Flyers/Dino Z) probably couldn't accommodate the cost of these experienced recruits from a Premier League club.

Bristol City will benefit from Bristol Sport's financial strength.

People moan.

What.......

Explain.......

Bristol City, Bristol Rugby, Bristol Academy ladies, basketball team and racing driver etc are all bigger together than apart. Figure it out it all makes sense from a buisness point of view. Like Tescos really, they have the food bit then the direct bit then the mobile bit then the banking etc etc, all seperate things but all come under Tesco Ltd. From now on Ashton Gate will be used 40 odd times a season, therefor sponsorship revenue inside the stadium will increase. That's just one benifit of this arrangement.

RrdZepperin - do you still use a Nokia 8210..?

They worked perfectly well, so why would you upgrade to an iPhone or blackberry etc...?

I would upgrade. However, new isn't necessarily better. I'm all in favour of embracing progress. However, if we see a cock-up in the making, I think we should sound the alarm. I suspect that this is the case with this Birstol Sport thing. It's potentially a corporate brand. It has no place on our retail site. Bristol Sport should of course manage the site but it is not the place to promote their brand by cannibalising ours (and that of Bristol Rugby).

A question for you. If you've saved up a load of money for a Rolls Royce and when you pick it up, the logo and the angel are missing, does it bother you? The bloke at the showroom says it's an upgrade...

SL has now employed professionals to make commercial decisions on behalf of our football club. The thing is, they are employed by an umbrella company representing the commercial interests of several sports, not Bristol City Football Club. Agreed that SL owns this entity, we just need to keep reminding the incumbent professionals what Bristol City is all about, its heritage, its passion, it fans.

That sounds like the footballing equivilant of someone who is not comfortable with their sexuality.

Does seeing a rugby logo at Ashton Gate really concern you that much, now that our owner is funding us both?

No infact I embrace it, I feel more should be done to welcome the rugby club to Ashton Gate (Bristol Sport Stadium) however my point is on a match day Bristol Citu fans are not likely to go into the shop to buy a rugby shirt or a rugby branded towell or something. Same when Rugby fans go to watch a game they are not likely to buy City merchindise. So having the rugby stuff on display at a football game anf the same vice versa is a waste of valuable space hense my suggestion for rotating boards.

SL has now employed professionals to make commercial decisions on behalf of our football club. The thing is, they are employed by an umbrella company representing the commercial interests of several sports, not Bristol City Football Club. Agreed that SL owns this entity, we just need to keep reminding the incumbent professionals what Bristol City is all about, its heritage, its passion, it fans.

But without this umbrella company then it's unlikely Bristol City on it's own could afford the services of these professionals. As long as Bristol City remain as Bristol City playing in red and white with an excellent training facility and a Cat 2 academy and the club continues to imvolve fans then I am happy with this arrangement.

Put it this way would you rather have Steve Lansdown a fan of the club and his son a fan of this club and what they are doing with Bristol Sport or would you prefer a Glazer type who isnt a fan and put the club in debt to buy the club? I know which I prefer.

Red Zepperin

Thanks, Thatcham Red.

Here are a couple of thoughts on this:

What the hell is Bristol Sport? Really. Does it have any employees, assets, customers (real ones, I mean)? Its own brand value (from a fan's perspective) is, I believe, zilch.

What's Peugeot's brand value? (a zillion euros). What's Citroen's brand value? (a zillion euros). What's PSA's brand value? (zilch). PSA owns Peugeot and Citroen but its brand value (from an end user's perspective) is zero. However, its brand value with corporate customers is two zillion. The marketing guy from PSA turns up and says he wants to buy some advertising space on your TV channel (for Peugeot and Citroen adverts) and you faint.

So, yes, Bristol Sport should get out there and strut their stuff with corporate customers but what the **** are they doing taking the name off my club's retail website? That's like PSA taking the lion off the Peugeot.

Economies of scale: yes. Cannibalising brands for no reason whatsoever: no.

I think you've hit on the problem. This is not a case of "modern football", "economies of scale" and all that. A few blokes have come in and, probably amongst some very fine work, are cocking one or two things up.

I would upgrade. However, new isn't necessarily better. I'm all in favour of embracing progress. However, if we see a cock-up in the making, I think we should sound the alarm. I suspect that this is the case with this Birstol Sport thing. It's potentially a corporate brand. It has no place on our retail site. Bristol Sport should of course manage the site but it is not the place to promote their brand by cannibalising ours (and that of Bristol Rugby).

A question for you. If you've saved up a load of money for a Rolls Royce and when you pick it up, the logo and the angel are missing, does it bother you? The bloke at the showroom says it's an upgrade...

When I first picked it up, I might be a little doubtful, but if I drove it off and it was faster, more comfortable, higher spec and had better fuel consumption, I would be delighted after first getting my head around it.

Rather like Jaguar divers of the more modern day..!

It's this sort of thread that stops me from posting here that often.

We've got the Eggchasers at the Gate now and we've got to live with it. I'm happy with the arrangement - I'm not going to watch Bristol Rugby every week but I will go when they've got a decent game - but I'm also a realist and as we're both 'owned' by Bristol Sport then the merchandise side is a vital revenue stream for both clubs. I couldn't give a monkeys what the flipping shop is called, I've only been in it twice so far in 2014 and one of those occasions was to ask where the blood donor session was taking place. If they do babygrows I'll get one for my sister in law's kid, but she's not due until October.

I'll be back for the 'we always lose at Bramall Lane' thread in a few weeks time. Happy holidays :-)

Put it this way would you rather have Steve Lansdown a fan of the club and his son a fan of this club and what they are doing with Bristol Sport or would you prefer a Glazer type who isnt a fan and put the club in debt to buy the club? I know which I prefer.

Uncle Steve bought the club and put it in debt then out then ... But Uncle Steve has put the mockers on any take over as the FC is seperated from owning what was its des res.

Take overs good or bad or radio rental will want the asset of the ground. No ground no take over types... That bet is orf.

What are they doing with Bristol Sport? Nobody knows. Lots of guessing mind and some BS geddit.

For many years now many fans, including myself, have accused the club of being run in an unprofessional manner. To me, this looks like the begginings of a professional structure at the club. Obviously it's not that traditional, but it is the 'modern' way and perhaps this is just a modern approach to football? I've been a critic of the clubs ownership and there's every chance this will be badly managed but on the face of it it could also be a positive development to the management of the club and the financial side too.

I'd rather let it play out than needlessly question it before it has had chance to work/fail.

SL is well intentioned and thank goodness he has the best interests of the football club at heart. That is not the point I am trying to make and neither is Red Zepperin I believe.

I get the need to "sweat assets" and maximise revenue across a portfolio of products and services, to use that language. I just don't understand the need to build the Bristol Sport brand so visibly at the expense of traditional football club values. Who will the sponsors be sponsoring? Bristol Sport? 

I would rather see a robin on the shirt

One day we could be scratching our heads and wondering, where did our football club go?

There seems to be one simple fact that many overlook. The club and the ground has not really been owned by the fans since the the late 19th and early 20th century. From the early days of professionalism in the game the club has been owned by the directors.

Nobody complained when Harry Dolman put thousands of pounds (millions in today's money) into the club. He had total control of the club and could have sold the ground for profit if he wished. He didn't because he was a City supporter.

The only thing that had change is that Steve Lansdown is a bit more switched on than previous owners and understands how to maximise income.

I don't care what the ground is called. I'd be quite happy for it to be known as The Right Honourable Les Q Memorial Stadium if it generated more income.

here here...it could be worse .....ask the sags

This worries me. Just like SL asking weather a blue away kit was acceptable or not...

People have said how we will attract more money and therefore have more success and maybe the PL! I'd rather be in League One with our Bristol CITY identity than in the Champions League with a Bristol Sport one. We'll see how far this goes, it's a decent business idea but the team I follow is Bristol City, when I decide Bristol City has died and become Bristol Sport, I will leave with it.

At the moment, sharing a ground is fair, naming the shop as BS is concerning but the rebuild will surely have 2 shops? It's currently unclear what the future holds but if this goes too far I won't be supporting it.

Identity is everything. If success was everything I wouldn't be supporting Bristol City in the first place

I haven't read every post in this thread so apologies if these points have already been covered. My thoughts are that the megastore and the Bristol Sports branding were an inevitable transition. Would people be so upset if we were talking about the outside of the new stadium, or is because we are talking about our traditional home?

Like it or not, we are going to be welcoming the Rugby fraternity to Ashton Gate on what looks like a pretty permanent basis, the branding will help them feel that they belong at the stadium rather being squatters like another entity within this city often are. 

I assume that the savings on amalgamating the various strands in this way has freed more money to invest in the teams as witnessed by the signings made in our team, the rugby and even the womens team. 

It's a brave new world and may take some getting used to, but as they say, if you do what you always do, you get what you always got. Something had to change and I for one am willing to give this new direction the benefit of any doubt.

Archived