IGNORED

Csf & Ghs

sglosbcfc

I watched a programme on one of the cable channels about UK hooligan firms last night. They met up with lads from Dundee Utility, a joint firm of Dundee and Dundee United fans that unite when the big teams Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen are in town to have sufficient numbers to take them on.

Although this seems really unusual, I thought I read that in the 70s some City and Rovers lads united on a couple of occasions to take on the likes of Spurs and Chelsea. Anyone remember if this actually happened? Certainly couldn't imagine it happening now.

Get over it, more often than not it was handbags, sometimes very violent, but whatever it was the camaraderie generated in those days between mates and the club that makes football support at all levels of football in this country the envy of the rest of the world.

Couldn't be more wrongl It was those people that have ruined the football experience for supporters now. It was due to the idiots that football has had all the fun legislated out of it.

Couldn't be more wrongl It was those people that have ruined the football experience for supporters now. It was due to the idiots that football has had all the fun legislated out of it.

There has always been camaraderie at football and very often scuffles going back even to the thirties. What happened during the sixties and seventies was TV coverage of games. The choirs as they were known by the educated toffs in the media, were often highlighted during televised games. And then there was easy relatively cheap travel for the masses, this culminated in the masses meeting. Anyone who attended football through those years saw it develop and if you were young enough and got a buzz, just like Teds, Mods, Rockers, greebos, skins did, then you were a part of that development. The people that poor scorn on it have never understood why it happened and just called anyone that took part, a hooligan or thug. The whole thing about football is supporting your team and if there weren't segregation nowadays then it would be just the same. Then we had the authorities who knew even less about real life working class people, trying to impose their interpretation of reality with poorly thought out legislation.

Come back with your ill informed comments but that's about the strength of it.

There has always been camaraderie at football and very often scuffles going back even to the thirties. What happened during the sixties and seventies was TV coverage of games. The choirs as they were known by the educated toffs in the media, were often highlighted during televised games. And then there was easy relatively cheap travel for the masses, this culminated in the masses meeting. Anyone who attended football through those years saw it develop and if you were young enough and got a buzz, just like Teds, Mods, Rockers, greebos, skins did, then you were a part of that development. The people that poor scorn on it have never understood why it happened and just called anyone that took part, a hooligan or thug. The whole thing about football is supporting your team and if there weren't segregation nowadays then it would be just the same. Then we had the authorities who knew even less about real life working class people, trying to impose their interpretation of reality with poorly thought out legislation.

Well said.

Of course there were always scuffles at football and, as you say, the Teds, Mods Rockers etc really was just kids letting off steam more than anything else.

The trouble was, in the eighties the thugs took over and it ceased to be a bit of fun. People were getting hurt, sometimes seriously, and it ended with the deaths of 39 people at Heysel when Liverpool fans did what they always did at football, but did it to fans that didn't play by the same rules who panicked with disastrous results.

It was this period that meant the fences went up, meaning that as far as I am concerned, the thugs were also indirectly responsible for Hillsborough, as well as the appalling policing on the day.

This is what caused the regulations that now cause football to be an altogether more sterile experience. It wasn't the terrace 'games' of the sixties and seventies. It was the people that took things too far after that.

P.S. Do you know what camaraderie means?

Really? Camaraderie? I'm sure the families of those killed and injured in these hand bag situations now understand the reasoning behind it and are now fully on board. :facepalm:   

Its the wanna be boys who ruin it,im only talking 3 or 4 years ago and it was mini buses for a row with fellow like minded people away from the ground,and yes we are bristol city supporters not just thugs

So you admit that you are a thug then? :clapping:

I watched a programme on one of the cable channels about UK hooligan firms last night. They met up with lads from Dundee Utility, a joint firm of Dundee and Dundee United fans that unite when the big teams Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen are in town to have sufficient numbers to take them on.

Although this seems really unusual, I thought I read that in the 70s some City and Rovers lads united on a couple of occasions to take on the likes of Spurs and Chelsea. Anyone remember if this actually happened? Certainly couldn't imagine it happening now.

I'm pretty sure the CSF would have teamed up with the GHS, the DCM's, the UHT's. the DHS along with the B&Q's for a good bust up on the IOW

Of course there were always scuffles at football and, as you say, the Teds, Mods Rockers etc really was just kids letting off steam more than anything else.

The trouble was, in the eighties the thugs took over and it ceased to be a bit of fun. People were getting hurt, sometimes seriously, and it ended with the deaths of 39 people at Heysel when Liverpool fans did what they always did at football, but did it to fans that didn't play by the same rules who panicked with disastrous results.

It was this period that meant the fences went up, meaning that as far as I am concerned, the thugs were also indirectly responsible for Hillsborough, as well as the appalling policing on the day.

This is what caused the regulations that now cause football to be an altogether more sterile experience. It wasn't the terrace 'games' of the sixties and seventies. It was the people that took things too far after that.

He was the Italian boy in Delboy's school football team.

. The people that poor scorn on it have never understood why it happened and just called anyone that took part, a hooligan or thug.

So what would you call them? Hardly the intellectual elite!

And I'm sorry, but being working class does not mean that your main source of enjoyment is fighting people, that's just insane. Class has nothing to do with it. People who get their kicks from kicking ten bales of shit out of others are thugs and nothing more.

The trouble with posting anything with a link to hooliganism is that it turns into the rights and wrongs of terrace violence. I was talking about the Dundee Utility and whether City and Rovers have ever mobbed up against another firm. I am sure I read in a book that we did, of course that is not to say it definitely happened and it doesn't appear that anyone on this site is aware of it.

trouble is now the violence has seem to have moved to politics eg: edl or anti muslim but thank goodness it has moved away from from footie in the main - remember seeing the cardiff fans were really chuffed walking out with city fans in the car park and how refreshing it was for them

And I'm sorry, but being working class does not mean that your main source of enjoyment is fighting people, that's just insane. Class has nothing to do with it. People who get their kicks from kicking ten bales of shit out of others are thugs and nothing more.

I'd call them part of a group of supporters that went a bit further supporting their team.

Football is a sport followed by mainly working class people historically. That they were part of large numbers of like minded people has everything to do with their background but obviously not compulsory behaviour for the working classes. I'm sorry to say you know jack shyte about the subject other than looking in from on high and making snidy comments. Do you know the meaning of snidy?

If the ruling authorities had any idea at all, football violence could have been stopped in no time at all, unfortunately they like others, had no idea what to do and reverted to calling them thugs.

Pretty much wrong on that front, watching a programme once and there was guys who were stockbrokers, teachers and people in well paid positions who were involved with hooliganism... their explanation was that they had to vent out the frustrations after a stressful week of work, crazy I know but it isn't just the 'working class' who enjoy a dust up it seems.

I know Liverpool fans have a bad reputation but, I watched those scenes develop in Heysel. They were caused by Juventus fans attacking Liverpool supporters in a mixed terrace (which should not have happened) and when the Liverpool fans retaliated, the Juventus fans ran into their own supporters who themselves edged further away and the decrepit stadium collapsed. As a postscript, Liverpool fans arriving by ferry were met by the Juventus fans stoning them as they disembarked, the question has to be asked, why were juve fans at the ferry terminals, if not to cause trouble?

By the way, I have no inclination to support Liverpool or their fans, other than painting the correct picture, which has always been distorted by the football hating media.

Archived