IGNORED

Players Who Smoke

Super

I see the press are picturing Wilshere smoking on his holidays again, is it really that big a deal players who have the occasional cigarette? I have never smoked so don't see what the appeal is myself.

Don't understand why the clubs allow it, they must have diet plans to keep them at peak fitness, and surely smoking hinders that. It baffles me how such a prominent sports person, who must be in tune with personal health and fitness would even consider picking up a cigarette.

Don't understand why the clubs allow it, they must have diet plans to keep them at peak fitness, and surely smoking hinders that. It baffles me how such a prominent sports person, who must be in tune with personal health and fitness would even consider picking up a cigarette.

But is it any worse than drinking beer which most players do?

It something that needs to be tackled at a young age for footballers (or anyone) because when people hit their 20's it becomes an extremely difficult thing to kick and I've spoke to many wishing they never started it. A pro athlete shouldn't be anywhere near a cigarette but if its not tackled early this happens unforunately.

To be fair Wilshere does nothing on the pitch worthy of column inches so at least he's giving them something.

EDIT : that's a bit tongue in cheek by the way.

On a serious note it's a very unprofessional thing to do for a professional athlete but context is necessary. It is 20 a year or 20 a day? Big difference.

Conidering the effect on your lungs and its capacity, in my opinion yes, although that more effects the heavier smoker. Kinda baffles me why these people put themselves through alot getting extremely fit yet drink alot or smoke (which can be hard to kick) seems odd to me.

as long as it doesn't effect the players performance then I don't see it as an issue, Doesn't scotty smoke and it never did him any harm for us,

But it's certain that it will affect the performance. It's not like the jury's still out on whether smoking is good or bad for your lungs!

as long as it doesn't effect the players performance then I don't see it as an issue, Doesn't scotty smoke and it never did him any harm for us,

At top level where tiny tiny percentages make the differences, surely you'd give yourself every possible advantage. Things like smoking would affect this.

At top level where tiny tiny percentages make the differences, surely you'd give yourself every possible advantage. Things like smoking would affect this.

Rooney smokes doesn't he? he performs well in the prem (international is a different thing but theres more to it then just players smoking)

Anyway these guys are adults and they should be treated as such, if they weren't wrapped in cotton wool all the time maybe they would stop living in cloud coocoo land,

Nah, emulating our very own home-grown International. OhTommy! Tommy, Tommy, Tommy, Tommy Doherty!

Given the lack of progress Wilshere's made since he was 16, I think Tommy Doc is a more realistic aim for him!

In all seriousness, while smoking reduces lung capacity in the short term, it's less of an issue to someone who is a professional athlete than the man on the street; it can be compensated for by training. The question is though, is it really worth the extra training for a few cigarettes?

Years ago my brother used to own The Wye Knott Inn pub in Symonds Yat  and Terry Cooper and the City players always used to have lunch there before playing at nearby Hereford Utd.  After their meal the players would go upstairs into my brothers living accommodation to watch the luchtime football programmes Grandstand etc. I went into Petes front room and at least 6 of the playing squad were smoking and like naughty school boys quickly trying to put out their Fags . John Shaw looked at me and said "F*ckin hell Rog we all thought that was Coops"  :laugh: Happy Days    

The great French rugby team of the mid to late 80s had several heavy smokers in their team, didn't seem to affect them too much!

As others have said, if it's something he does occasionally then I don't see a problem, but he should be smart enough to do it away from people so it doesn't end up being news

On a side note.....does anyone actually rate Wilshere? I hear pundits waxing lyrically about him, I really don't see what the fuss is all about

When I started playing football for Sunday and Saturday league sides as a striker in my mid teens I was considered very 'pacey'. Started smoking at 17 and within 5 years I could barely outrun the fattest of beer bellied thug defenders which meant it was easier to kick the sh1t out of me every Sunday morning. Getting back to any kind of reasonable fitness after the summer break was a nightmare. I know professional players have access to the best training facilities but smoking will definately effect performance over the years.

Edit: In fairness though, I was smoking 15-20 a day which is probably far more than Wilshire.

As a training athlete, the stimulation the chemicals gives his brain may help him concentrate and he may put in extra work to make up for any fitness he looses by smoking.

He's not advertising the brand of fags, he barely advertises the fact he smokes - a tiny window into his private life inflated bcause we live in a media driven bullsh** society and fans feel the need to jump on his back.

Is this really the pinnacle of the downfall of modern football? I think not

As a training athlete, the stimulation the chemicals gives his brain may help him concentrate and he may put in extra work to make up for any fitness he looses by smoking.

He's not advertising the brand of fags, he barely advertises the fact he smokes - a tiny window into his private life inflated bcause we live in a media driven bullsh** society and fans feel the need to jump on his back.

Is this really the pinnacle of the downfall of modern football? I think not

I dont think its a case of everyone jumping on his back as such, what he does is up to him...it's his body and it's a free country.

Smoking does **** up your lungs though, that is a fact. If its the odd fag I doubt it's a problem but if its a regular thing then it will almost certainly effect his fitness.

Archived