IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Monkeh

I'm sorry I can't agree, Gerard is one player, if everyone put in the effort he has we would be talking about a different england team at the moment, a constant pro and will be missed at international level,

who would have done his job in the last 50 or so games? because I can't think of 1 single player

He won't be missed at International level,why, because he doesn't keep the ball.

Compare him with the likes of Pirlo who over the years has shown how International midfield play is played.

Gerrard was captain of an England team that went out after 2 games and also had the worst record of any European team in Brazil.

My favourite ever player. 

Gerrard may not have carried his club form over to international football but who else did in the last decade or so?

One thing is for sure if we had 10 other Gerrards with his ability, passion, leadership and character we would of been far more successful at international football.

Right decision for stevie to retire from England.

He won't be missed at International level,why, because he doesn't keep the ball.

Compare him with the likes of Pirlo who over the years has shown how International midfield play is played.

Spot on for me. Gerrard is another case of an Englishman who would have greatly improved himself with a move abroad. Italy or Spain would of been ideal for him and im sure he would have had plenty of suitors in his mid 20's. Would have massively improved his dire ball retention playing in La liga or the Seria A.

Shame he is such a homeboy like many english players and cant live less then spitting distance from there home patch.

Gerrard was captain of an England team that went out after 2 games and also had the worst record of any European team in Brazil.

Absolute rubbish. Of course he will be missed by an average England team. Gerrard has been a top player, Scholes was a top player yet both never produced their club form for England. You might want to ask why that is.

Absolute rubbish. Of course he will be missed by an average England team. Gerrard has been a top player, Scholes was a top player yet both never produced their club form for England. You might want to ask why that is.

Gerrard isnt good enough at international level, we have seen it time and time again. He cant produce in a world cup because its levels above playing againsy Stoke at anfield. Why has Pirlo pulled his pants down in not just one but two tourneys in a row?

Scholes did produce for England a lot more than Gerrard did though. Scholes pretty much retired because he wasn't utilised in the right way.

Gerrard isnt good enough at international level, we have seen it time and time again. He cant produce in a world cup because its levels above playing againsy Stoke at anfield. Why has Pirlo pulled his pants down in not just one but two tourneys in a row?

Pirlo is a class act and has run the show against far better tams than England. Just out of interest if Gerrard isn't good enough at international level who do we have that is?

Scholes did produce for England a lot more than Gerrard did though. Scholes pretty much retired because he wasn't utilised in the right way.

Gerrard and Scholes got shafted onto the left plenty of times. Scholes never produced anything like his club form he said so himself.

Pirlo is a class act and has run the show against far better tams than England. Just out of interest if Gerrard isn't good enough at international level who do we have that is?

There lies the problem, we don't have enough English talent to really push Gerrard in that centre midfield position, no one is better than Gerrard, but that says more about the fact we can't produce talent more than Gerrards ability.

My favourite ever player. 

Gerrard may not have carried his club form over to international football but who else did in the last decade or so?

One thing is for sure if we had 10 other Gerrards with his ability, passion, leadership and character we would of been far more successful at international football.

Right decision for stevie to retire from England.

For all the criticism he has taken (more for his off the field antics than anything else), Ashley Cole was generally excellent for England. Aside from his mistake in the 5-1 against Kazakhstan at Wembley, he was generally very consistent.

Add John Terry, Gary Neville, Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell and Michael Owen to the list of players who have (generally) performed at a similar level for England as they did for their clubs.

As for Scholes, fantastic player for Man Utd and arguably the best English player since Gascoigne - the fact that Iniesta and Xavi were racing to swap shirts with Scholes after the Champions League final speaks volumes - but again, for whatever reason, England didn't get the best out of him, which is a crying shame. 2004 (Scholes's last tournament) was probably our one realistic shot at winning a tournament in recent years - Germany and Italy were knocked out in the group stages and our team included all the players mentioned above (bar Ferdinand who was suspended) plus Rooney who, for once, was on fire in a tournament - but sadly it wasn't to be.

At the last World Cup Bosnia had a lad in midfield who played for Ferencvaros in Hungary yet who looked twice the player "world class" Gerard did.

Like so many of the "golden generation" he consistently flattered to deceive, though apparently "trying really hard" was good enough.

What we need to realise is that a better team, with far less trumpeted individuals is our only chance.

Wish he'd done this a couple of years ago.

At the last World Cup Bosnia had a lad in midfield who played for Ferencvaros in Hungary yet who looked twice the player "world class" Gerard did.

Like so many of the "golden generation" he consistently flattered to deceive, though apparently "trying really hard" was good enough.

What we need to realise is that a better team, with far less trumpeted individuals is our only chance.

Have to agree Graham. Always seed to escape critiscim for average displays. Not going to lose sleep over this one personally

So, so true.

There was an interesting post recently on the England fans forum about the Opta stats for the second half of last season in the premier league. Apparently the best English right back in that period (based on the stats, for what they're worth) was Joel Ward, and the best English midfielder was Jason Puncheon - yet neither would get picked for England as they are both playing for the 'wrong' club.

(I should add that I didn't see the actual stats but am just going off what was posted on the forum).

Gerrard and Scholes got shafted onto the left plenty of times. Scholes never produced anything like his club form he said so himself.

Granted Scholes rarely produced anything like his club form but in a lot less caps turned up in a lot more of the bigger games than Gerrard did for me. Neither have had glorious England careers but I don't think we will miss Gerrard. Even though there isn't anyone else as such he's had more than enough chances.

Have to agree Graham. Always seed to escape critiscim for average displays. Not going to lose sleep over this one personally

Because the media is packed with Liverpool old boys like Lawrenson and Hansen, who see him and fellow scouser Rooney as Demi gods, but will happily put the boot in elsewhere (mainly with Arsenal and Spurs players).

Overhyped and found out at international level. There's a reason England have been piss poor for the last ten years - we keep producing players who aren't actually that good. The best of a poor bunch still get their asses kissed, though.

Thank him for his effort but surely even he must know his England career was largly dire.

Depends how you define 'good enough'. We are England a big football nation that over the years should have expected at LEAST one semi final. The likes of Gerrard have had plenty of bites at the apple, that cant KEEP on being unlucky. They arnt good enough in comparison to the top nations players end of discussion, facts speak for themselves.. No semi final since 1996 dire..

Overhyped and found out at international level. There's a reason England have been piss poor for the last ten years - we keep producing players who aren't actually that good. The best of a poor bunch still get their asses kissed, though.

Thank him for his effort but surely even he must know his England career was largly dire.

But plenty of them have done very well at club level. Take the 2008 Champions League final, which was between two premier league teams - people are often surprised to learn there were 10 English outfield players who started that match. In this year's all-Spanish final, only 8 outfield Spaniards started (one of whom is really Brazilian), and in the all-Bundesliga final in 2013, ten outfield Germans started the match.

Yet that same year (2008), England failed to qualify for the Euros despite being able to name a squad containing ten players good enough to start in a champions league final. Something is obviously going wrong at national level - as I mentioned above we don't seem to get the best out of our players.

Depends how you define 'good enough'. We are England a big football nation that over the years should have expected at LEAST one semi final. The likes of Gerrard have had plenty of bites at the apple, that cant KEEP on being unlucky. They arnt good enough in comparison to the top nations players end of discussion, facts speak for themselves.. No semi final since 1996 dire..

But we have underachieved since 1990. We should of won Euro 96 and have failed since. Not just Gerrard that has failed.

A second rate player with a poor first touch and a preponderance to give the ball away with unnecessary Hollywood 60-yd balls.

Worst of all he kept the best England midfielder of his generation either out of the team or subdued due to his presence.

Tellingly, none of the big foreign teams came looking for him.

Still, he ran around a lot and could fist-pump with the best of them.

All of the above is not really Gerrard's fault though (although he could have worked on his technique in the afternoon's off).  What really gets me is his comment that he's retiring from international football because Liverpool are in the Champion's League.  If that doesn't sum up what went wrong at the recent World Cup, I don't know what does.  The FA needs to take a long hard look at that comment.

But plenty of them have done very well at club level. Take the 2008 Champions League final, which was between two premier league teams - people are often surprised to learn there were 10 English outfield players who started that match. In this year's all-Spanish final, only 8 outfield Spaniards started (one of whom is really Brazilian), and in the all-Bundesliga final in 2013, ten outfield Germans started the match.

Yet that same year (2008), England failed to qualify for the Euros despite being able to name a squad containing ten players good enough to start in a champions league final. Something is obviously going wrong at national level - as I mentioned above we don't seem to get the best out of our players.

It is a puzzler, isn't it? Seems 'Chivs' may have hit on a poiniant point.

I still maintain the individual ego's of players, inflated unproportionately for being better than the likes of Norwich etc (no disrespect intended to Norwich) doesn't help. The next generation is going to go the same way as Barkley, Shaw, Lallana are going to get their backsides systematically kissed before actually achieving anything.

An all Spanish final this year and Spain did awfully at the World Cup, incidentally.

Wish people would stop calling him Stevie G. What a nause.

Best midfielder in modern times for England is Beckham in my opinion.

Stevie Me has a better ring to it. Hollywood balls that would occasionally reach it's target and selfish shooting from distance (Chelsea at Anfield last season for instance) that hardly helped his team out. Definitely the best decision for all parties involved. Was clearly finished as an international footballer on his world cup showing. I have to agree I find it bemusing that Rooney gets bashed for not being international quality (rightly so on some occasions) yet Gerrard has been exempt form such criticism for that whole time. Strange. 

Stevie Me has a better ring to it. Hollywood balls that would occasionally reach it's target and selfish shooting from distance (Chelsea at Anfield last season for instance) that hardly helped his team out. Definitely the best decision for all parties involved. Was clearly finished as an international footballer on his world cup showing. I have to agree I find it bemusing that Rooney gets bashed for not being international quality (rightly so on some occasions) yet Gerrard has been exempt form such criticism for that whole time. Strange.

Because Rooney plays for United, Gerrard doesn't. You have to hate anything connected with United, that's the law

Archived