IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Monkeh

Ashley Cole was the most consistent world class performer without doubt. But (when at the peak of their powers) you can't say that Ferdinand, Scholes, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Owen and even Terry weren't. You only have to look at the amount of individual accolades and acknowledge they received from both home and abroad.

One thing that people always forget is that German coaches visited England to see how our players were coached after the 5-1 drubbing in Munich- they were amazed at the young talented, technical players we had coming through. They took our model and made it better.

The game evolved and age caught up with them- they were left behind. But for a while they were right at the top. Perhaps not as an international team but as individual players.

The Germans actually took our " planned" model.

We never put it into place ourselves.

Beckham was nowhere near world class, he didn't have the pace, but what he lacked in ability he sure put in the effort

We persisted with Beckham out wide for far too long, after he'd lost what pace he had, because he could cross a ball. We should have done what the Germans did with Schweinsteiger and moved him into a central position where his work rate and passing ability would have been more influential. Another missed opportunity in my opinion.

We persisted with Beckham out wide for far too long, after he'd lost what pace he had, because he could cross a ball. We should have done what the Germans did with Schweinsteiger and moved him into a central position where his work rate and passing ability would have been more influential. Another missed opportunity in my opinion.

Agree to a certain extent but still think Beckham got far too many caps than he should of. To be fair the one thing i did like about Beckham was his ball retention, which only got better with his moves abroad.

Think the talent and career of Joe Cole is worthy of discussion re all this, another one to underachieve.

Very true. Joe Cole was normally comfortable on the ball and (relative to some of his English peers at least) was generally good at retaining possession.

Going back a little further, you could probably throw Steve McManaman's name into the mix too - hugely talented player (he won the Champions League twice), but again England didn't get the best out of him. Interestingly, Zinedine Zidane had a very high opinion of McManaman:

http://www.rediff.com/sports/2002/apr/26wc2.htm

Although this interesting article from 2002 is a bit more damning:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/macca-from-a-floppy-fringed-genius-to-flop-on-the-fringes-535671

Very true. Joe Cole was normally comfortable on the ball and (relative to some of his English peers at least) was generally good at retaining possession.

Going back a little further, you could probably throw Steve McManaman's name into the mix too - hugely talented player (he won the Champions League twice), but again England didn't get the best out of him. Interestingly, Zinedine Zidane had a very high opinion of McManaman:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/macca-from-a-floppy-fringed-genius-to-flop-on-the-fringes-535671

McManaman ? I prefer Totti.

When it comes to football, I think I would trust the opinion of Zidane over that of a Mirror hack.

It's been going on for generations, look at this for a list of under-achieving midfielders:

Tony Currie

Stan Bowles

Alan Hudson

Rodney Marsh

Matt Le Tissier

Was le Tissier ever really given the chances he should have?

He should have left Southampton

Was le Tissier ever really given the chances he should have?

He should have left Southampton

Can't agree, sorry. He loved playing for Southampton and probably did more than anyone to keep the club he loved in the top flight for so long.

The problem is with England managers who can't see beyond the badge on the shirt rather than the player wearing it.

I've got a lot of time for the likes of Le Tiss and Alan Shearer. Both gave up personal glory to play for their clubs.

It's been going on for generations, look at this for a list of under-achieving midfielders:

Tony Currie

Stan Bowles

Alan Hudson

Rodney Marsh

Matt Le Tissier

That list would equal anything Brazil could offer if my view although of course there has to be balance in the team.  We had the talent but it was never given a decent run of games.  One of the most sublimely talented players who had about one cap for England was Duncan McKenzie.  I genuinely believe he would have been talked about as in the top ten of all time greats if the England managers during his time had picked him and given him a chance on the world stage.  A striker rather than midfielder with unique skill and an ability to make defenders look amateurish and quite a prolific goal scorer as well.  I think he smoked like a chimney but the footballing geniuses, or any sporting one-offs are often likeable rogues - take that away and the talent is compromised.  Cloughy would have picked him.

That list would equal anything Brazil could offer if my view although of course there has to be balance in the team.  We had the talent but it was never given a decent run of games.  One of the most sublimely talented players who had about one cap for England was Duncan McKenzie.  I genuinely believe he would have been talked about as in the top ten of all time greats if the England managers during his time had picked him and given him a chance on the world stage.  A striker rather than midfielder with unique skill and an ability to make defenders look amateurish and quite a prolific goal scorer as well.  I think he smoked like a chimney but the footballing geniuses, or any sporting one-offs are often likeable rogues - take that away and the talent is compromised.  Cloughy would have picked him.

Cloughie only got 2 caps for England, incredible when you consider his scoring record at club level.

Steve Bruce and Jimmy Case are another 2 who never played for England that probably should have.

Cloughie only got 2 caps for England, incredible when you consider his scoring record at club level.

Steve Bruce and Jimmy Case are another 2 who never played for England that probably should have.

Cloughie record is incredible but most was in the 2nd tier

Bruce played for Man Utd a still didnt get a cap!! Says it all No way good enough

Case was a good player but England had better at the time

Tony Currie

Stan Bowles

Alan Hudson

Rodney Marsh

Matt Le Tissier

Flair players.

Most other countries build their team around players of that ability although in fairness players like Bowles and Marsh probably lacked enough discipline and could be lose cannons at international level.

In this country we struggle to find where to play this type of player among the 10 hard working robots selected ahead of them.

Archived