IGNORED

Cheltenham Away (Merged)

Hartcliffe red

Decent performance last night. I thought Korey Smith and Luke Freeman were excellent from start to finish. I felt Bryan and Little were the better of the 4 wing backs we used last night. Flint made the defence more solid as a unit and didn't deserve the stick he got from some fans last night.

Sadly El-Abd was poor, I just don't think he's good enough to be honest, nothing against him but Flint was a drastic improvement which probably says where El-Abd is.

Williams and Ayling looked decent especially the former. Baldock was his usual self, lively, running the channels etc. I was impressed with Wilbraham, he has a very decent touch and is talented in the air and I felt links the play very well. JET wasn't great, it wasn't his night but we all know the ability he has.

Personally I would make 4 changes for the opening day from last night's team:

Little for Wagstaff

Wilbraham for JET

Flint for El-Abd

A quick mention, this is the first I've seen of him for us but Korey Smith was the player I thought Pack was going to be when he signed. He was tenacious without the ballot but skillful and intelligent on it. In a night where Freeman was the obvious choice I'd have given MOTM to KS.

• Admin

Is it safe to say then that El bad has had his chance now? (Not good enough)

Don't mean this to sound an attack, but curious if you went last night?

Not heard that much wrong with his performance last night - maybe he has got his head screwed back on?

At least give him a competitive game.

For me he's got a clean slate until his performances start costing us points, or influencing meaningful games.

He's clearly back in the fold, so give him time.

Don't mean this to sound an attack, but curious if you went last night?

Not heard that much wrong with his performance last night - maybe he has got his head screwed back on?

I went last night, and your right, he didn't make any howlers.

Overall in any pecking order I would still put him behind Osbourne and Ayling (couldn't see the pen properly).

I thought Flint looked determined and solid, and of course chipped in with a goal.

Williams is nailed on to play every game when fit, so SC has to choose 2 from 4, and El Abd would be at the back of the queue for me.

On a more positive note I thought Freeman was outstanding, and when he came on Little played very well.

Difficult to choose a starting 11 when all are fit, but a nice problem to have.

I went last night, and your right, he didn't make any howlers.

Overall in any pecking order I would still put him behind Osbourne and Ayling (couldn't see the pen properly).

I thought Flint looked determined and solid, and of course chipped in with a goal.

Williams is nailed on to play every game when fit, so SC has to choose 2 from 4, and El Abd would be at the back of the queue for me.

On a more positive note I thought Freeman was outstanding, and when he came on Little played very well.

Difficult to choose a starting 11 when all are fit, but a nice problem to have.

In a way, despite most not being that impressed with El Abd yet, it is nice to think we've a selection of players at centre back who can 'do a job', even if we're not all entirely convinced that is our strongest area.

Were we relying only on El Abd and Williams, plus perhaps one other, then that might be worrying.  But having the likes of Osborne and (seemingly) Ayling too; I'm happy that if El Abd (or any other player) drops in form, they've got someone waiting to coming in and prove themselves.  That is how the best, most successful teams operate, through players competing with one another.

And, as you mention, we have that elsewhere too.  The likes of Wagstaff and Little pushing for seemingly one place (though Waggy seems capable in several positions) and Cunningham and Byan facing off for the left hand side; these are selection problems that (as you say) it is good to have.

As for JET; yesterday perhaps shows why he might actually have a BETTER season (perhaps not in terms of return but overall impact), as in Wilbraham we've a totally different option to throw on in games he is struggling to get into.  The visa versa will also be true, and I think that having the likes of Freeman, who it looks like might play inside at time this year, and even Burns, who is different again, I think we will be in a good position to take on all sorts of defensive set ups this year.

I'm not saying we'll be GREAT, but we certainly look more balanced than last year, and the squad depth is a big part of that.

No that would be ridiculous! The guy needs a fair chance this season, let's see where he is after 10 full games. After Coventry away last season and how he performed (missing at least 5 good chances) I would never have predicted Baldock for top scorer. I really hope El Abd comes good.

Ayling looked much better with flint on. Fieldings distribution still massive concern and el abds inability to play in a three. Second half we looked good

Tatally agree with this, flint didn't put a foot wrong in the second half & Ayling looked much more comfortable.

Freeman, Elliott, Sammy & Smith top class as was Little & Wilbs. I also think Bobby Reid has knuckled down this summer & looks like he wants to prove a point.

Want to giove El Abd a chance but don't think he'll get a look in with this team.

JET... I thought he looked better last night. I think he could struugle with Smith, Little & Freeman in the side though as the pace they have will pass him by.

Flint was a drastic improvement which probably says where El-Abd is.

An astute observation. I don't like criticising individual players as a rule, but with all due respect to the lad I thought Flint was a liability at times last season, with a catalogue of sliced clearances, erratic distribution, own goals and catastrophic back-passes. Of course nobody would never wish injury on any player, but it has to be said that when his unfortunate knee damage occurred and enforced changes at the back had to be made, it marked the beginning of a significant improvement in our defending. He may come good yet: he has a commendable attitude and is commanding in the air, and the latter quality in particular is essential at the heart of the defence, but with the ball on the ground he sometimes worries me to death.

So, if his coming on as sub constitutes a major improvement, what does that say about El Abd? I think it just underlines the fact that we still need one more player at the back, in the form of a similar - but better - orthodox centre-half as direct competition for Flint. Overall we currently stand, as I see it, three players short of a potentially promotion-challenging squad, the other two being a GK and a fourth striker. (As has been argued on another thread, Wilbraham, Baldock and JET will not be sufficient cover over a long season.)

It may be rather a lot to ask on top of the promising signings already made, but plug those gaps and we would have a very interesting season in prospect.     

An astute observation. I don't like criticising individual players as a rule, but with all due respect to the lad I thought Flint was a liability at times last season, with a catalogue of sliced clearances, erratic distribution, own goals and catastrophic back-passes. Of course nobody would never wish injury on any player, but it has to be said that when his unfortunate knee damage occurred and enforced changes at the back had to be made, it marked the beginning of a significant improvement in our defending. He may come good yet: he has a commendable attitude and is commanding in the air, and the latter quality in particular is essential at the heart of the defence, but with the ball on the ground he sometimes worries me to death.

So, if his coming on as sub constitutes a major improvement, what does that say about El Abd? I think it just underlines the fact that we still need one more player at the back, in the form of a similar - but better - orthodox centre-half as direct competition for Flint. Overall we currently stand, as I see it, three players short of a potentially promotion-challenging squad, the other two being a GK and a fourth striker. (As has been argued on another thread, Wilbraham, Baldock and JET will not be sufficient cover over a long season.)

It may be rather a lot to ask on top of the promising signings already made, but plug those gaps and we would have a very interesting season in prospect.     

Could not agree with you more and to me that person should be Mr Nyron of Noseworthyshire.

If he wants a 2 year contract let him have it, the guy is the answer to our defence.

Could not agree with you more and to me that person should be Mr Nyron of Noseworthyshire.

If he wants a 2 year contract let him have it, the guy is the answer to our defence.

I wouldn't be unhappy with that at all. Did a sound enough job for us last season and a bit of additional experience back there could prove valuable.

Agree with you CliftonCliff regarding Flint. I think his heart is in the right place, seems to have the desire but for gawds sake don't give him a ball to his feet. He is our Mertesacker.

He must have something, part of a promotion team with Swindon in league two and lost out in the playoffs again before he joined us. I expect it was a bit of a shock to him with what happened last season after that. He needs a good experienced person with him. I certainly don't think it's El-Abd who seems to need as much support himself sadly.

Agree with you CliftonCliff regarding Flint. I think his heart is in the right place, seems to have the desire but for gawds sake don't give him a ball to his feet. He is our Mertesacker.

He must have something, part of a promotion team with Swindon in league two and lost out in the playoffs again before he joined us. I expect it was a bit of a shock to him with what happened last season after that. He needs a good experienced person with him. I certainly don't think it's El-Abd who seems to need as much support himself sadly.

Mertasacker is a great distributer of the ball, if Flint can turn out anything remotely close to Mertasacker I'll be very delighted

As almost everybody else has said Freeman was superb and I was also very impressed by Korey Smith. Second half we managed to control the game and show the gulf in quality between us and Cheltenham.

First half though I thought we were quite poor and at times terrible defensively. Although we improved greatly after half time I would be concerned that we defended how we did in the first half last night in what seems like it is going to be our final friendly before starting the season with what could well be our most difficult game.

Also thought Wilbraham was a handful when he came on and offered us a real target when going forward, almost definitely should have scored in the move that ended with Bryan scoring though.

Would also be handy if Fielding practices keeping the ball within the width of the pitch when he kicks before we start playing competitive football.

From what I've seen of Smith so far he looks like the sort of player who goes about his job quietly and effectively, just sitting and controlling it centrally and barely missing a pass. One of those unsung heroes that every successful team needs. He looks a quality signing who clearly is playing at a level lower than he should be. He's only come here for one thing...promotion.     

I agree with most player assessments from last night but the praise for Smith was a little over the top. He was better in the second half as most were, giving the team more momentum with faster, more accurate passing and better movement, but in the first half he did not impress me. He missed every header by miles, he was significantly slower than the midfielder he was up against and his passing was "safe". I think he is a decent addition to the squad but not a starter (Pack will start as defensive midfielder). My scores for the team are

Fielding  6    One good save early on but distribution was awful. Very little to do.

Ayling 7    Good when getting forward, good positionally but is not quick and caught out twice.

Williams 7  Solid throughout 

El Abd  5  Looked lost   Didn't win a header, caught for pace,  Mostly down to wrong positioning. I think he needs another CB next to him?

Flint  8   A couple a last ditch tackles, decent distribution, a goal. and a great block with his bollocks

Smith   6   See above

Elliot  8   The best midfielder on show.  Always looking to drive forward into the gaps and Accurate passing, including the first half.

Freeman  8  Excellent all night

Cunningham  6  Still not at his best  Did Ok but didn't take players on.

Pack   7  For me he got better last season and is a starter

Bryan   7  Did well when he came on . needs to be direct and have confidence in his pace/skill  Good finish for his goal

Little  8   Impressive 20 minutes.  Fast Strong Direct   Great signing

Wagstaff  6   Helped the defence well but not involved enough going forward 

Wilberham 7  I think we have a very good target man who can win headers and hold the ball

Baldock  6   Lots of work as usual but not given the service in the first half to shine.

JET     5    Lazy  Did not put the effort in off the ball to get involved  I was disappointed with him on the night.

Burns and Reid    6  Not given long enough to make a difference

Have I missed anyone?

Archived