IGNORED

Favourite Opening Day Games

Super

Portsmouth 92/93? 3-3 draw, Whittingham Hatrick versus Cole & Jacki running riot.

All kicked off with chairs being chucked from Dolman stand onto the open end?

That's the first one I remember, and the first time I'd seen trouble at football.

Did they delay the kick off because of it or am I imagining that?

Preston away was a hard one to take, back in 09/10 season. They Scored a last minute pen, which wasn't even a pen to make it 2-2 when we were 2-0 up

Remember listening to that on the wireless, whilst drinking outside and (I think) it being the Balloon Fiesta. Gutted didn't really cover it. 

Apart from the truly horrendous weather our 1-0 win away at Blackpool a few years ago with a last minute Brooker goal was an excellent day out.

Slightly poor that we're still waiting for our next opening day win though..

Made my way onto the Bloomfield Road pitch for a second time that day. Was a good one.

Apart from the truly horrendous weather our 1-0 win away at Blackpool a few years ago with a last minute Brooker goal was an excellent day out.

Slightly poor that we're still waiting for our next opening day win though..

:laugh: my mate got arrested for running on the pitch after that goal by a female copper then pulled her in town on the night good times

Both of my choices here - Blackburn and Pompey

Great days, the pair of them

Same here.

Another good game was the 2-0 win against Sunderland at AG. It was the first match of the season after John Atyeo passed away.

Worst one for me is a choice between Millwall at home (0-3 disappointing) Ipswich (0-3 dire)

I seem to remember a pretty sh1t match on the first day of the 00/01 season at home to Rotherham iirc.

The Portsmouth game which finished 3 each was a cracker as previously mentioned - Cole and Dziekanowski on fire that day.

Also remember fondly the opener to the 83/84 season in the old 4th Division - a 4-0 win over Mansfield (Crawford 2, Riley 2).

Cooper was the manager and we got promoted that year - the start of our meteoric rise back up the divisions.

Same here.

Another good game was the 2-0 win against Sunderland at AG. It was the first match of the season after John Atyeo passed away.

Worst one for me is a choice between Millwall at home (0-3 disappointing) Ipswich (0-3 dire)

I seem to remember a pretty sh1t match on the first day of the 00/01 season at home to Rotherham iirc.

Wasn't it against Ipswich that Damian received his red card?

Agree with the Blackpool 2008-09, it was a quality day, soaked to the skin, Maynard missed an absolute sitter and then right at the death, Brooker shanked the winner!

Didn't it ever rain, Blackpool in August was grim! Sitting in that temporary stand with the ground still being developed I didn't think it would be them on their way to the Prem. Wouldn't swop places with them now though.

Hopefully playing the favourites for the title on the opening day is a good omen. In each of our last 2 promotion seasons, the team we played on the opening day were also promoted (Grimsby in August 1997, S****horpe in August 2006).

Edit: at the risk of going off topic, the 97-98 play offs (which Grimsby won, as noted above) featured one of my favourite ever Rovers defeats - they let a 3-1 first leg lead slip at Northampton (at one point they were 3-0 up). I remember Holloway was spitting feathers after that one.  

Anyone remember the away game at Southend in the early 90's- pretty sure it was an opening fixture.

Was a boiling hot august day and city everywhere along sarfend front. Get to the ground, onto the terrace( which was already cramped) and if my memory serves me right the turnstile/gates were forced open by the mass of city still trying to get in.

I remember thinking that a hill borough situation could well happen.

Anyone remember the away game at Southend in the early 90's- pretty sure it was an opening fixture.

Was a boiling hot august day and city everywhere along sarfend front. Get to the ground, onto the terrace( which was already cramped) and if my memory serves me right the turnstile/gates were forced open by the mass of city still trying to get in.

Yes I can remember that game,the gates did go in,as you say City were everywhere.

Like sardines on the terraces that day.

Yes I can remember that game,the gates did go in that day. Like sardines on the terraces that day.

Archived