IGNORED

Ashton Gate Consultation

cidercity

Has anyone emailed in any views of what they would like to see in the new Eastend and Dolman concourse, I was on the Bristol rugby forum and they are all for naming the new stand after one of their old players.

There is also a fans consultation evening on the 4th September in the Dolman exhibition hall to show the most popular idea's and how they would look in the new Eastend.

Yeh, good one, naming the stand after one of their old players!

And why not? Yes, yes I know, but it sounds like you have not got your head round the new world order.

We think of Ashton Gate as belonging to BCFC, with Bristol Rugby as new tenants. But that's not how it is now. Effectively there are now two sports clubs as tenants of Bristol Sport and we'll have to get used to that.

The days of having all the stands named after City heroes may have to end.

Has anyone emailed in any views of what they would like to see in the new Eastend and Dolman concourse, I was on the Bristol rugby forum and they are all for naming the new stand after one of their old players.

There is also a fans consultation evening on the 4th September in the Dolman exhibition hall to show the most popular idea's and how they would look in the new Eastend.

There will ne no new "end". The South Stands appears to be a series of enclosures.

If the Rugby go up (which is a big if) their attendances will rival ours.

And if we go up to the Prem one day? It's all ifs, buts and maybes. I would guess that the potential revenue of the football club outweighs that of the rugby club no matter what divisions we are in.

I don't want to come across as bitter towards Bristol Rugby (I actually really like union and follow Bristol Rugby as best I can with little to no coverage in this part of the world) but I will be disappointed if a stand at our spiritual home was named after one of their players and I imagine a lot of others would be too. In contrast I can't see there being too many complaints by the rugby club if a stand isn't named after one of their players. Why rock the boat?

(I do realise this is a hypothetical conversation based on comments on their forum) 

• Admin

Ashton Gate has been BCFC's home for more than 100 years, Bristol Rugby hasn't even really moved in yet.. how can we name a stand after one of their players?

Would be a joke if they did!

But it is not Bristol City's ground anymore - this is the point many have been trying to make all summer!

Guess as they have as much right to naming rights as we do - would expect it to be more likely that the two new stands will have different names so not to alienate either supporter

And if we go up to the Prem one day? It's all ifs, buts and maybes. I would guess that the potential revenue of the football club outweighs that of the rugby club no matter what divisions we are in.

I don't want to come across as bitter towards Bristol Rugby (I actually really like union and follow Bristol Rugby as best I can with little to no coverage in this part of the world) but I will be disappointed if a stand at our spiritual home was named after one of their players and I imagine a lot of others would be too. In contrast I can't see there being too many complaints by the rugby club if a stand isn't named after one of their players. Why rock the boat?

(I do realise this is a hypothetical conversation based on comments on their forum) 

Why not appease both sets of fans and simply name it the South stand? (or East End for traditionalists).

I know that seems a cop out, but I can see this issue escalating over something that really is very trivial.

Why not appease both sets of fans and simply name it the North stand? (or East End for traditionalists).

I know that seems a cop out, but I can see this issue escalating over something that really is very trivial.

There will be no new "End". The club are now referring to the South Stand instead of Wedlock.

But it is not Bristol City's ground anymore - this is the point many have been trying to make all summer!

Guess as they have as much right to naming rights as we do - would expect it to be more likely that the two new stands will have different names so not to alienate either supporter

Sure, but it just feels a bit like when you move your missus into your place and she instantly puts pink fluffy cushions all over your sofa and then fills the toilet cupboard with bathroom items youve never heard of... Too much too soon. Theyve got to accept that its our spiritual home, and we will be the primary source of revenue. So things have to be done our way for now.

• Admin

Theyve got to accept that its our spiritual home, and we will be the primary source of revenue. So things have to be done our way for now.

Really would like to agree with you, but expect Bristol Sport etc to have a bigger say in this

I would think they would avoid upsetting anyone by naming a stand after a player , I would expect it to be something along the lines of  "sponsorname" South stand .

The bars or lounges could be named jointly , velcro signs with Egg chaser lounge one week and the John Bailey drinking mans club the next. 

Just a thought.

And why not? Yes, yes I know, but it sounds like you have not got your head round the new world order.

We think of Ashton Gate as belonging to BCFC, with Bristol Rugby as new tenants. But that's not how it is now. Effectively there are now two sports clubs as tenants of Bristol Sport and we'll have to get used to that.

The days of having all the stands named after City heroes may have to end.

Thats not true.

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/163723-bristol-sport-shirts-brand-theft-merged/page-4?hl=%20brand%20%20theft

post #166

their fans can call it what they like,what difference does a name make? known to us as the east end,will probably still get called the eastend by those that have been there for eons. 

quick question tho,without changing the trajection of the ground,how can the east end become the south stand?

has the east end always been at the south end of the pitch?

their fans can call it what they like,what difference does a name make? known to us as the east end,will probably still get called the eastend by those that have been there for eons. 

quick question tho,without changing the trajection of the ground,how can the east end become the south stand?

has the east end always been at the south end of the pitch?

I believe it's South-Easterly, though more south than east.

The story goes that the East End name came from people arranging to meet at the 'east end' of the terrace back in the day.

There is another thread somewhere where it was pointed out that was slightly wrong

But AG8 is not the home of just Bristol City anymore it is a SHARED ground

It is shared in the same way as while im away from my house on holiday I have a house sitter that rents the house and gives me money.

BRISTOL SPORT DOES NOT OWN BRISTOL CITY

ASHTON GATE IS OWNED BY BRISTOL CITY - IT IS NOT OWNED BY BRISTOL SPORT.

ASHTON GATE IS RENTED BY BRISTOL CITY TO BRISTOL RUGBY.

It is shared in the same way as while im away from my house on holiday I have a house sitter that rents the house and gives me money.

BRISTOL SPORT DOES NOT OWN BRISTOL CITY

ASHTON GATE IS OWNED BY BRISTOL CITY - IT IS NOT OWNED BY BRISTOL SPORT.

ASHTON GATE IS RENTED BY BRISTOL CITY TO BRISTOL RUGBY.

To be precise...Bristol City Holdings Limited owns a) Bristol City Footall Club Limited and b) Ashton Gate Limited.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/documents/bristol-city-holdings-1213213-1283287.pdf

Archived