IGNORED

Cotts We Love You

Bourne End Red

I guarantee if we lose the next two or three there will be people on here calling for him to be sacked! I always worry when people start saying how wonderful things/people are.

We know very well there are up to a dozen posters (very quiet at the moment) who made their personal dislike of Cotterill, as well as their strong opposition to his appointment, all too clear. A truly nasty reception for Cotterill from them.

A few have had the good grace to eat their words and  publicly regret their outbursts but no doubt others are still biding their time, waiting for any opportunity to stick the knife in. Cotterill's done enough overall now though for the vast majority to accept the inevitable defeat or two and counter them very quickly.

It seems to me Bristol City F.C. are on the rise at last, we've somehow or other managed to get the ideal man for this club at the helm, most City fans know that, and are very eagerly anticipating the season ahead.

When was the last time we could say that?

• Admin

I'll put my hand up as a big supporter of SOD, probably more because I wanted to believe what he was saying would work rather than actually believing it would.

I wasn't enamoured by the appointment of Cotterell but I can't remember any other candidates particularly taking my fancy at the time either. I think that annoyed me as much as anything, that we had sacked SOD when there wasn't even an outstanding manager available. I was wrong.

To me SC appears the perfect fit for BCFC & he has rekindled my excitement for the future at Ashton Gate.

I was also a big supporter of SOD, and still believe we were staring to turn things around and would have stayed up, but that arguments been done to death already.

With SC's appointment i was underwhelmed but i refuse to write a player or manager off before they've had a chance to show what they can do and SC has shown that he is the right man for the job at the current time and i think that things are better under SC than they were under SOD (surely no arguments with that).

But what I'd really like to see here is a manager who can do the job here for a long time, like fergie at united and Wenger at arsenal and I'm not 100% that SC would be that person but i do believe he can take us out of league 1

Edit- the last bit isnt doubting SC at all, i think he has so far proven that there is no reason to doubt him, I'm just not sure whether he would stay here for such a lengthy time

Again, a fan of SOD here, and I firmly believe the one loss in eight games demonstrated the fact that he had started to turn things around - so I was a big critic of the club's decision to sack him. I also disapproved with the appointment of Cotterill but he's proven me wrong so far.

Still far too early to make a judgement - we're only one game in to the season after all. Everybody was raving about Del, three games into the season we got relegated - things can change very quickly in football.

The business we've made in the summer has been really impressive, the squad seems to be much better balanced than it has for a long, long time. Whilst it's too early to make a judgement on Cotts, I will say that I do like him as a personality, going by his interviews. Many fans of hix ex-clubs said he was arrogant and unlikeable, which hasn't been the case for us. He's prone to going completely off topic in his interviews, but I find it kind of amusing most of the time! It might be me, but I also like having a manager with a West Country accent.

As a summary, the months he has been here he's proved me wrong, nonetheless, there's still a fair way to go yet before a full judgement can be made on him as a manager.

On a side note how disappointing is it to be in bristol and see kids wearing liverpool/man utd/arsenal kits. Cant help but imagine how big we could be if more people supported their local clubs.

Thats what impressed me with Leeds when i went up there couple seasons ago to watch city.

The whole place supports leeds, you do not see any other football shirts up there and everywhere you go you see the Leeds badge in shops etc.

This would change if we made it to the Premier League, I live in Cardiff and when they were in the Championship I barely saw any Cardiff City shirts, then when they hit the Premier League I couldn't go out without seeing one and in all fairness even after the relegation I'm still seeing them a lot more. I think the Premiership changes the view of young fans, if they think their local team can play the likes of Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool then they suddenly gain a lot of interest. Football isn't what it was when I was a kid, loyalty is a thing of the past and with that means local support is less and less likely. If we make it to the Premiership I think our support would be superb and in turn it would create a lot more life long fans because once you go to games for a prolonged time you find it hard to lose interest.

he needs to build on what he managed to acheve last season, one win doesn't suddenly make us a promotion winning squad,

lets see where we are after 10 games if we are top 10 then we should be in for a good season,

I like cotts he tells us as it is and doesn't treat us as idiots, if city were crap he would say so, I hope he's the manager for the next 5 years and we go from strength to strength,

This would change if we made it to the Premier League, I live in Cardiff and when they were in the Championship I barely saw any Cardiff City shirts, then when they hit the Premier League I couldn't go out without seeing one and in all fairness even after the relegation I'm still seeing them a lot more. I think the Premier League changes the view of young fans, if they think their local team can play the likes of Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool then they suddenly gain a lot of interest. Football isn't what it was when I was a kid, loyalty is a thing of the past and with that means local support is less and less likely. If we make it to the Premier League I think our support would be superb and in turn it would create a lot more life long fans because once you go to games for a prolonged time you find it hard to lose interest.

This is true.

My dad worked for the club during our brief period in the sun, and I can tell you as a Top Flight club we were picking up supporters from as far away as north Devon, north Dorset and Herefordshire. Even a pop star expressed interest in joining the board!

The club office was deluged with mail from overseas fans, particularly Poles for some reason.

That was then, but there is no reason to believe it couldn't be again.

Getting promoted twice though. That's the tricky bit ;-)

Hear hear about Cotts. What a difference he's made! I don't blame local kids for supporting Man U, Liverpool etc though. I agree it would be nice if they supported their local club, but times have changed. Thanks to Sky TV, it'd possible to watch all of, say, Barcelona's or Man City's games, and I think it's fair to say that those teams have captured young imaginations more than City have in the last few seasons!

if city could put their shirts in other outlets rather than the shop,they might just attract a few.

Archived