IGNORED

Our Biggest Weakness...

spudski

The problem is if the keeper doesn't have full confidence in his defence or vice versa, the confidence issue spreads and is usually exposed at set pieces.

Chicken and egg perhaps, what came first dodgy defence or dodgy keeper?.

Honestly think FF causes wide spread panic in the back 3-4, his rashness has caused many problems in the past. When we had our supposedly best back 4 last year, Williams-Osbourne- Nosworthy- Moore everything seemed under control at all times.

The problem is if the keeper doesn't have full confidence in his defence or vice versa, the confidence issue spreads and is usually exposed at set pieces.

Chicken and egg perhaps, what came first dodgy defence or dodgy keeper?.

I'd lean towards the keeper at the moment myself, I don;t think we defended that badly in the last 2 games overall

New keeper must be top of the list for Cotteril. Fielding whilst capable of making stunning saves is not the all-round keeper we need.

If we had someone who could come up and take crosses etc then if would take some of the pressure off the defence at set pieces.

His kicking out is possibly the worst I've seen a keeper we have had.

2 games played, 3 goals conceded 2 from set pieces, it seems like groundhog day.

the set peice sheffield did was just a good goal, don't think you can attached a blame to anyone there, that goal would of gone in at any ground in the world,

the one against us last night I do put down to fielding not controling his box, thats whats frustraiting me he may grow in stature as confidance comes, we seen that with basso,

but he isn't cotts first choice due to the fact he's made it public that he wants a keeper but we're stuck with him so we need to try and not get on his back during the game (which hasn't happened yet but will)

the set peice sheffield did was just a good goal, don't think you can attached a blame to anyone there, that goal would of gone in at any ground in the world,

the one against us last night I do put down to fielding not controling his box, thats whats frustraiting me he may grow in stature as confidance comes, we seen that with basso,

but he isn't cotts first choice due to the fact he's made it public that he wants a keeper but we're stuck with him so we need to try and not get on his back during the game (which hasn't happened yet but will)

I think our manager would beg to differ, when asked he said something along the lines of 'we had our line right, but they forgot to jump, it's something we will have to look at, but you have to get off of the ground to defend properly'.

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion. Ayling got out muscled and allowed the attacker to get in front of him. I agree that Fielding looks dodgy from set-pieces but you can't blame that one on him. 

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion. Ayling got out muscled and allowed the attacker to get in front of him. I agree that Fielding looks dodgy from set-pieces but you can't blame that one on him. 

because the corss came close to the edge of the 6 yard box, he should be coming to meet those

2 yards outside of the 6 yard box, Ayling got the wrong side of his man that's what caused that goal, appalling marking and he knew it and for the 2nd Osbourne caught out for pace and 3 defenders failed to pick up the runner who scored again appalling marking.

Osbourne at fault for number two as well. Ayling should have been with his man but wasn't. Osborne pushed up to the ball leaving a huge amount of space behind him for the ball. He should have stood off and risked the long range shot there. 

My opinion, is that we either need a new GK coach or a much older goalkeeper (31+) for the remainder of this season. Goalkeepers get better with age and gradually iron out mistakes from their game through gained experience. I know its against the 5 pillars, but I'd like to see us snap up a more mature keeper. If we don't I'll be extremely dissapointed to be stuck with FF.

My opinion, is that we either need a new GK coach or a much older goalkeeper (31+) for the remainder of this season. Goalkeepers get better with age and gradually iron out mistakes from their game through gained experience. I know its against the 5 pillars, but I'd like to see us snap up a more mature keeper. If we don't I'll be extremely dissapointed to be stuck with FF.

I have to agree with you on this OBJ.

Why on earth do teams not put players on both posts these days from corners? I would blame Ayling not Fielding for both goals.

We are being done on a regular basis for not having anyone on the back post. I can understand not having a near post cover, as the keeper should be able to see the flight of the ball and a man there might obstruct his view but, we keep getting done at the back post and the keeper can't see that area.

I've never seen a consistent defence that successfully employs zonal marking and certainly not at this level.  It just seems to be an exercise in futility.  Defending at this level is about knowing your role, concentration and winning battles, not theory.

I've never seen a consistent defence that successfully employs zonal marking and certainly not at this level.  It just seems to be an exercise in futility.  Defending at this level is about knowing your role, concentration and winning battles, not theory.

I agree but given that most of our defenders were here last season and last season we employed a man marking system and were still suspect at the back and susceptible at set pieces, what is the answer?, a commanding keeper and better organiser central defender?, coaching doesn't seem to have worked with this set of defenders so far.

... well so from the last two games watched, it has become apparent that we have two big weaknesses.

1. We struggle to defend at set pieces.

How a manager of SC's experience, thinks lining up a long straight static row of players, across the box, is going to stop the opposition from running in and getting above the defence beggars belief.

Where has this stupid idea come from?

Zonal mark if you wish...but you don't do it like that...it's amateurish beyond belief.

All managers will notice this and use it against us.

2. Frank Fielding... enough has been said about him...last night he was awful again.

Even Cotts was having a right go at him about his distribution and not coming off his line when necessary.

I cannot understand how SC has ended up with him as our number 1 keeper.As for his distribution I cannot remember a keeper who always kicks it.He is going to cost us. 

Been going on for a couple of months trying to get a keeper in and we've put all our hopes on getting Moore which has fallen flat and were left with no alternative option. Should have got mark bunn before he signed new contract with Norwich.

Declan Rudd still not gone anywhere from Norwich as far as i am aware. 3rd choice at Norwich and was on loan at PNE last season. Weren't we linked with him earlier in the window?

I agree but given that most of our defenders were here last season and last season we employed a man marking system and were still suspect at the back and susceptible at set pieces, what is the answer?, a commanding keeper and better organiser central defender?, coaching doesn't seem to have worked with this set of defenders so far.

I'd say having the right mix of players, consistency of selection, system and then coaching in that order.  We didn't manage the first three for most of last season so it didn't give the latter much chance.  The back three with two from Osbourne, Ayling and Williams and one of Flint or El Abd is probably a good balance and the rest could follow.  I think zonal systems are over complicated particularly with a back three where it ought to be fairly obvious who should pick up which opponent.  Set pieces are not that hard to defend well if you have no confusion and concentrate.

Archived