IGNORED

Our Biggest Weakness...

spudski

... well so from the last two games watched, it has become apparent that we have two big weaknesses.

1. We struggle to defend at set pieces.

How a manager of SC's experience, thinks lining up a long straight static row of players, across the box, is going to stop the opposition from running in and getting above the defence beggars belief.

Where has this stupid idea come from?

Zonal mark if you wish...but you don't do it like that...it's amateurish beyond belief.

All managers will notice this and use it against us.

2. Frank Fielding... enough has been said about him...last night he was awful again.

Even Cotts was having a right go at him about his distribution and not coming off his line when necessary.

Re Fielding Basso was awful for a time, maybe he just needs an extended run of games.

Basso was never as bad as FF.

I really don't understand the love in some fans have with FF.

Apart from occasional shot stopping...the rest of his game is way below average.

El Abd and Pack were giving him one hell of a go last night, as well as SC, and I don't blame them...he fills no one with confidence.

I've seen enough of him now to know, that he is a liability and not someone you can rely on for a serious push over a season.

... well so from the last two games watched, it has become apparent that we have two big weaknesses.

How a manager of SC's experience, thinks lining up a long straight static row of players, across the box, is going to stop the opposition from running in and getting above the defence beggars belief.

Zonal mark if you wish...but you don't do it like that...it's amateurish beyond belief.

2. Frank Fielding... enough has been said about him...last night he was awful again.

Even Cotts was having a right go at him about his distribution and not coming off his line when necessary.

we struggle from set pieces because of frank fielding, he doesn't command his area or comes out to catch a cross, the goal against shef u you have to put down to a good cross but against oxford there were at least 5 crosses he should of came out and claimed, he wouldn't which put pressure on the defense and as a result we had to defend deeper then we should have from set plays,

Our defending from corners and free kicks is of concern. Their first half disallowed goal was headed in by their #8 Brown who was by far, the shortest player on the park - he looked around 12 years old. We look vulnerable.

FF is an instinctive keeper who makes smart saves on his line. His handling is generally sound. On the flip side, he seems a bit of a shortass for a keeper and can't command his box; his punching scares me because he only just manages to reach the ball then punches down rather than up and out; his distribution is poor. He needs a challenger.

Basso was never as bad as FF.

I really don't understand the love in some fans have with FF.

Apart from occasional shot stopping...the rest of his game is way below average.

El Abd and Pack were giving him one hell of a go last night, as well as SC, and I don't blame them...he fills no one with confidence.

I've seen enough of him now to know, that he is a liability and not someone you can rely on for a serious push over a season.

You don't remember basso's debut?

I think he was commonly referred to as a clown following that. He was awful, but improved with games.

Fielding is more than good enough for this level.

You don't remember basso's debut?

I think he was commonly referred to as a clown following that. He was awful, but improved with games.

Fielding is more than good enough for this level.

judging on the last two games he isn't good enough for the gas's level, I'm a good shot stopper maybe I should ask for a trial

judging on the last two games he isn't good enough for the gas's level, I'm a good shot stopper maybe I should ask for a trial

Course you are, poppet. Stick you in front of our under 18's and you wouldn't even see the ball as it flies past you.

I love it when people genuinely think they could do what pros do.

He's a fantastic shot stopper and is perfectly adequate in other areas too. It's sad that we always have a scapegoat...

Perhaps our 'biggest weakness' is actually the absurd standards set by our 'knowledgeable' fan base...

Course you are, poppet. Stick you in front of our under 18's and you wouldn't even see the ball as it flies past you.

He's a fantastic shot stopper and is perfectly adequate in other areas too. It's sad that we always have a scapegoat...

Perhaps our 'biggest weakness' is actually the absurd standards set by our 'knowledgeable' fan base...

so you are happy with him and the way he commands his area or takes crosses?

because I'm not, he doesn't come he doesn't command and he is too static on his line, he isn't being made a scapegoat his weakness are being exposed at the moment as there were last season, which is why we brought Moore and is the reason why Cotts is still looking for a new keeper,

If he had a decent defence like basso did infront of him then we could over look his weaknesses but he doesn't,

He needs to actually challenge a striker when a cross comes in and not stay on his line he also needs to be telling the defenders where he wants them not the defenders sorting it out for themselfs,

I actually don;t think his distrabution is too much of a problem

FF is a decent keeper for sure, his record shows that clearly. I wasn't there yesterday but of course saw the game against Sheff' and he did look very shaky I must admit. His distribution isn't that bad either, no worse than Parish or Heaton. I think people need to get off his back and stop making him the scapegoat. We're lucky to have a Championship worthy keeper still on our books.

so you are happy with him and the way he commands his area or takes crosses?

because I'm not, he doesn't come he doesn't command and he is too static on his line, he isn't being made a scapegoat his weakness are being exposed at the moment as there were last season, which is why we brought Moore and is the reason why Cotts is still looking for a new keeper,

If he had a decent defence like basso did infront of him then we could over look his weaknesses but he doesn't,

He needs to actually challenge a striker when a cross comes in and not stay on his line he also needs to be telling the defenders where he wants them not the defenders sorting it out for themselfs,

I actually don;t think his distrabution is too much of a problem

I can only judge on Sheff as I wasn't there last night.

Fielding had a funny 10 minutes in that game but was perfect from then til the finish, claiming several crosses and organising his defence.

Where is it you sit? Because he's the most audible player ive seen/ heard at AG.

Personally think it's a myth that he is that bad. He is erratic, most keepers are. But for every poor decision he makes 3 saves that he doesn't really have a right to.

He's in credit for goals saved and goals given away. What more do you want?

After last night, I fear that this season's scapegoat is the man who scored 21 goals for us last season including a very memorable effort against NLBR in the same round of the League Cup. That JET's substitution last night was greeted by cheers from some quarters was a disgrace in my book. It's the role of opposition supporters to jeer our players.

I can only judge on Sheff as I wasn't there last night.

Fielding had a funny 10 minutes in that game but was perfect from then til the finish, claiming several crosses and organising his defence.

Where is it you sit? Because he's the most audible player ive seen/ heard at AG.

Personally think it's a myth that he is that bad. He is erratic, most keepers are. But for every poor decision he makes 3 saves that he doesn't really have a right to.

He's in credit for goals saved and goals given away. What more do you want?

I was talking about last night performance and I was there, he was static to his line he wasn't claiming anything,

he was shaky against shef utd but made up for it with 2 great saves, he didn't make up for it last night at all and his weakness was badly exposed, he need to be more confident, he needs to orginise his defence he isn't doing that,

After last night, I fear that this season's scapegoat is the man who scored 21 goals for us last season including a very memorable effort against NLBR in the same round of the League Cup. That JET's substitution last night was greeted by cheers from some quarters was a disgrace in my book. It's the role of opposition supporters to jeer our players.

jet awful but he cheer was out of order, reminded me of lee johnson to be honest,

he may of scored 21 goals last season but it counts for nothing this season, he isn't in the team and judging from last night he won't be for quite a while,

I think you can put some of that down to the atmosphere around the place,

Two teams were there but only one wanted to win it

Yep, a bit bonkers that (the cheering not the substitution).

JET set up the goal perfectly and had some other nice touches but just never quite clicked. Hell, we even saw the semi-mythical JET sprint at one point.

If he stays at the club, I don't doubt we could see some more magic from him. The guy is trying to work out a way to be most effective in a Cotterill team.

FF is a decent keeper for sure, his record shows that clearly. I wasn't there yesterday but of course saw the game against Sheff' and he did look very shaky I must admit. His distribution isn't that bad either, no worse than Parish or Heaton. I think people need to get off his back and stop making him the scapegoat. We're lucky to have a Championship worthy keeper still on our books.

Which is why Derby let him go and no championship club put a bid in for him, so much for a championship keeper struggling to get into a league 1 team last season..

i'm sure it has not escaped your notice Spud that we struggled to defend set pieces last season as well (in fact for nigh on 5 years that appears to be the case).

So perhaps given that most of our defenders were here last season and last season we employed a man marking system (which didn't work either), could it be a failed turd polishing exercise all round? (that's a question by the way not a statement) 

Anyway what do you suggest?, perhaps a starting point might be your 2nd point and a reliable/dominant keeper is now required to help with defensive confidence issues.

I'd like us to look at Daniel Bentley at Southend. Young with a whole season behind him at L2 level. Not seen him myself but is well worth a look apparently.

Edit: Goalkeeper by the way and he conceded roughly one goal per 100 minutes last season. Helped by a good defence but no smoke without fire and all that

I'd like us to look at Daniel Bentley at Southend. Young with a whole season behind him at L2 level. Not seen him myself but is well worth a look apparently.

Edit: Goalkeeper by the way and he conceded roughly one goal per 100 minutes last season. Helped by a good defence but no smoke without fire and all that

One things for sure he's the right size for a GK

5ft10 goalkeeper is fine if you have a good leap and can command your area, maybe its lack of confidence,

Well FF can't do any of those.. and it's more a lack of ability than confidence

The problem is if the keeper doesn't have full confidence in his defence or vice versa, the confidence issue spreads and is usually exposed at set pieces.

Chicken and egg perhaps, what came first dodgy defence or dodgy keeper?.

Archived