IGNORED

Adam El-Abd

BRISTOL86

Thought the guy deserved a seperate thread for this mini rant.

Firstly, I was glad to see him come on yesterday to have a look at what he can do for us this season. I was more than prepared to give him a fresh start this season, as with everyone in the team.

I thought he played very well. Clearly the back four is the system that suits him the best, and I thought he mopped up things nicely, and was pretty composed, especially given the timing of his introduction to the game and when we scored - we were inevitably going to be soaking up more pressure from that point. It was an assured performance for someone low on confidence and fingers crossed for more of the same in games to come.

Now on to the rant...

How on earth do people think that jeering your own players and their mistakes is condusive to a player playing well for the club you are supposed to support? There were large sections of our support who ironically jeered his misplaced pass shortly after he came on, and one guy who even got up to shout at him when he came behind the goal net to pick up the ball. I mean....what planet are these people on? If you are reading this and you are one of this group of people (let's call them "The Fontainers") please think again next time.

Imagine you've just made a few costly mistakes at work. Now imagine trying to get on with your job whilst the rest of your department mock and jeer you whilst you work. Just take a bit of time to think that actually, this is a Bristol City player, playing in a team trying to win us points.

No player wants to make mistakes and if you listen to his interview from the YouTube channel it's clear that he feels last season was horrible for him and he is very keen to put that behind him and get the fans on side (although I doubt any of The Fontainers can work the interwebs - so I doubt/hope there's none here).

I can understand fan frustrations creeping in when we're bottom of the league and have won once in 3 months, but when El-Abd came on we were on course for 4 points from 6 and unbeaten - there's no need for that kind of mentality towards individuals whatever your view on their performances last season.

Let's all just get behind the team. Who knows, it may even be the difference. They don't call fans the 12th man for no reason, it's widely acknowledged that fans do have a psychological affect on players, so let's get behind the team and actually give El-Abd a chance to show why he was brought here.

Completely agree. I was disappointed, but not surprised to hear some shouts of derision when El Abd made a misplaced pass soon after coming onto the pitch but thereafter, his performance was good and solid - exactly what we would have wanted from him. He made some timely blocks and interceptions which led to warm applause which was good to hear. I was really pleased for him.

As supporters (the clus is in the name) we really do need to get behind all of our players and leave the derision to opposing fans (that's their role).

Excellent main post that man. Sadly, ideas like 'getting behind the team no matter what (and maybe reserving your ire for the pub later) because jeering surely cannot make things better' just don't wash with some people.

I thought he made a decent contribution to holding out in the last ten mins when we needed another head-on-a-pole alongside Flinty. Shanked a few up the pitch, stuck his bonce in where it counted a couple of times (less worry for him than Ayling with vis-a-vis his hair) and generally got stuck in. That's what he's there for.

As mentioned in the Natch Report on thenatchwall: http://thenatchwall.wordpress.com/

Give the bloke a break. Or else give football a break, Fontainers, maybe it's not the Saturday afternoon past-time for you.

Idiots.

Unfortunately we have more than a fair few that follow this Club. No one likes to admit it...but we do.

The same people who cheered JET being taken off midweek no doubt....real idiots.

Come on here and have a rant if you need...but support your team 100% when they are out their playing for you.

Encourage and get behind them...don't deride them.

He is a player with over 300 appearances so he can't be that bad although on Tuesday he put the ball out for a needless corner from which the scored and yesterday played the easy ball by putting it out for a throw in rather than trying to keep the ball in play and finding a player.

It has to be said that what is happening to El Abd is pretty standard in football if a player has been poor. Almost unbelievable now but Tinnion got a lot of stick when he first came to us.

Point is has Adam got the guts to ride this out and show us that he is the player we expected from Brighton.

All I saw from him initially was shirt-pulling and other pathetic antics, being out of position and poor passing. 

So even if he is playing well it will take him a lot longer than others to be accepted.

However I admit it is not cricket to boo somebody onto the field.

It has to be said that what is happening to El Abd is pretty standard in football if a player has been poor. Almost unbelievable now but Tinnion got a lot of stick when he first came to us.

Point is has Adam got the guts to ride this out and show us that he is the player we expected from Brighton.

All I saw from him initially was shirt-pulling and other pathetic antics, being out of position and poor passing. 

So even if he is playing well it will take him a lot longer than others to be accepted.

However I admit it is not cricket to boo somebody onto the field.

All I saw from him was a first pass that was poor, which I'd happily explain away as nerves and a silly foul in injury time.

Otherwise I saw a solid, rugged defender who bailed us out a few times yesterday, which must have gutted those who were almost willing him to do badly.

Archived