IGNORED

Would You Take Play Offs?

ChippenhamRed

Freeman, Smith, Little, Ayling they're all young players who in some cases are not cheap. It is good spending v previously poor, sometimes often astonishingly bad, but this is a form short termism. City are based on money not long term planning. When Mr Cotterill arrived I expected the local lads to become peripheral, and it has happened. There is an element of Man City - ness in miniature to this. Expect more in to "freshen up the group" etc.

When Mr Cotterill arrived it was feared he would revert back to his dinosaur tactics. He has not, he is doing a very good job beyond what I expected and sort of feared. This is a weak league x Mr Cotterills very good job x Mr Lansdown and his wealth = City being able to hand the division its arse.

Spending money doesn't in itself mean not planning long-term though, it depends how you spend it. It's not like we've bought players who can do a job at this level but we'll have to replace immediately after promotion, we've targetted players who could be assets long term.

It doesn't have to mean players coming through the academy, although that would be ideal. Look at Peterborough, very few of their big money sales have come through their youth system. Gayle, Boyd, Mckail-Smith: all players they've spent money on. Assombalonga we were in for but we couldn't compete with what they were willing to pay!

I do agree though that with the squad we've got we really should be looking for promotion, hopefully not needing the playoffs!

Of course I would take the play offs! We've only played two games!! The most worrying thing for me is if we get a few injuries and have to play squad players then we will struggle because as the Oxford game showed our second string aren't up to it. In order to get automatic we need to sign a couple more.

Getting into the play-offs is not the same as getting promoted.

So maybe you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting promoted.

We should be a better than average L1 side this year - let's say we are good enough for a top 8 finish, but we could end up anywhere in the 8. That gives us a 1 in 4 chance of automatic promotion and 50% of the time we fail that we have another 1 in 4 chance of promotion.

What I'm trying to say is that in conclusion your honour, whilst I might have been in the vestry with Mrs Plum and a candlestick, I can categorically assure you nothing untoward went on. Mostly.

Attack wise think we're top 2 but our defending (inc goalie) still makes me nervous. Plus i'm not 100percent convinced re 3-5-2 even if our players fit the system quite well. Ergo play offs is my prediction.

But didn't we change into a 4-4-2 yesterday and at Sheff Utd to see both games out?, the ability to able to do this will be a big boost.

But didn't we change into a 4-4-2 yesterday and at Sheff Utd to see both games out?, the ability to able to do this will be a big boost.

True and a fair point. That said we were losing with 3-5-2 to start with. My concern from yesterday in particular was that the midfield seemed to struggle when picking wider runners up. Possibly it works better away when you can keep possession better with 5 across the middle, plus we have a bit of pace up front to hit the front quickly. But as you say, variety is good.

I would hope that SC is telling his players that while we should take no team for granted in this division, we should fear no one because we are a match for any team in the league and should be aiming for automatic promotion. 

Would I take playoffs now? Absolutely not. Taking playoffs would be like accepting 2nd place. As a supporter of this club I want us to be winners, and accepting 2nd place is exactly what annoys me, not only about this club, but Bristol and Bristolians as a while.  We always accept 2nd best as it just seems like the easy option. We've got a massive example of 2nd best looking at us every time we walk into Ashton Gate.

Would I take playoffs now? Absolutely not. Taking playoffs would be like accepting 2nd place. As a supporter of this club I want us to be winners, and accepting 2nd place is exactly what annoys me, not only about this club, but Bristol and Bristolians as a while.  We always accept 2nd best as it just seems like the easy option. We've got a massive example of 2nd best looking at us every time we walk into Ashton Gate.

In your opinion - many of us are more than happy to be staying at Ashton Gate, and would have considered AV very much second best.

Agree with you on taking the play offs though.

No chance - I think we can get promoted automatically and we better had because we know full well that Bristol City are dyed in the wool play off final failures.

Top 2 or 7th for me.

I would take just being safe in L1 at this point. Let's see how it goes. Anything other than having to endure a relegation dogfight is novelty value after what we've been thru in recent times. If you think our last "momentous occasion" was a pitch invasion celebrating the Champ trap door. Anything more than a relatively stress free season is good for me.

Nah sod that i would lose selected bodily parts to have the excitement of losing in the playoffs (again :( )

Archived