IGNORED

Would You Take Play Offs?

ChippenhamRed

If someone offered us a playoff spot now would you take it?

Before the season I would almost certainly have said yes. But based on what I've seen so far, I think we look well equipped, with enough strength in depth, to get an automatic spot. So right now I'd probably say no.

Credit also to Cotterill for the summer recruits, in every case they appear to have improved us.

I think 99% of fans would take the playoffs right now. Our last season in the Championship we led the table after 3 games and look where we ended up. Both feet on ground and not counting any chickens.

Fair point and I'm certainly not counting any chickens, but I do feel the squad has the quality to be right up there competing for an automatic spot. Tuesday night will be another good test of where we really are.

Fair point and I'm certainly not counting any chickens, but I do feel the squad has the quality to be right up there competing for an automatic spot. Tuesday night will be another good test of where we really are.

Tuesday will be tough but we always seem to play well v the 'better' teams. I think games like yesterday (and there will be plenty of them) will decide where we finish this season.

I think 99% of fans would take the playoffs right now. Our last season in the Championship we led the table after 3 games and look where we ended up. Both feet on ground and not counting any chickens.

I must be one of the 1% who think we are capable of winning promotion straight off. Playoffs are the least we should expect.

If someone offered us a playoff spot now would you take it?

Before the season I would almost certainly have said yes. But based on what I've seen so far, I think we look well equipped, with enough strength in depth, to get an automatic spot. So right now I'd probably say no.

Credit also to Cotterill for the summer recruits, in every case they appear to have improved us.

Good question; but let's not forget how crap we are at play offs. Joint worst in the country, I believe ?

So for me, it's a 'no'.

No. I mean, overall play offs would be decent progress on last season but I don't see that we should be grateful to be in them or anything.

We were in the championship for 6 years (and trying to push on) and after a shaky readjustment season last year we should be back to comfortably being top 6 in this division at the very least. If we're not then it's a failure. As mentioned, we're favourites to win the league and for good reason.  Doesn't mean it'll be easy of course. There's still a long way to go.

No. That is underselling the squad. The club has undergone another u turn in strategy ditching spending plans and pillars. Mr Cotterill has been allowed a freedom to buy within reason what he wants. He has players that are a cut above the division, he has funds to bring in more. There is an element of short termism to it being based upon the largesse of Mr Lansdown, the money is talking on the pitch, but Mr Cotterill is doing a very good job and spending wisely.

Looking at Colchester's modest support yesterday and a trip to Rochdale soon it emphasies why City should not be in this division. Neither of those two clubs could afford Freeman now, let alone adding a Baldock to the mix and that can be applied to almost all in the division.

We have to go for the outright promotion imo, our play off outings have been nothing short of woeful, and a poor showing in them often leads to a hangover for a season or 2 after

History dictates go up in first or 2nd or finish just outside them and push for automatic the next season.

I must be one of the 1% who think we are capable of winning promotion straight off. Playoffs are the least we should expect.

I would imagine the majority of us think that we are capable of winning promotion straight off just the same as probably 10-15 other clubs in this division right now. A lot could happen between now and next May so if somehow we could be guaranteed a P/O spot, I would take it...if only because it would mean that wouldn't have a sh1t season like we did from last August right up to March this year.

No. That is underselling the squad. The club has undergone another u turn in strategy ditching spending plans and pillars. Mr Cotterill has been allowed a freedom to buy within reason what he wants. He has players that are a cut above the division, he has funds to bring in more. There is an element of short termism to it being based upon the largesse of Mr Lansdown, the money is talking on the pitch, but Mr Cotterill is doing a very good job and spending wisely.

Looking at Colchester's modest support yesterday and a trip to Rochdale soon it emphasies why City should not be in this division. Neither of those two clubs could afford Freeman now, let alone adding a Baldock to the mix and that can be applied to almost all in the division.

Agree we've splashed the cash but I wouldn't say it's been short-termism. We haven't spent beyond our means and Freeman, Smith, Little, Ayling they're all young players with the potential to play at a higher level.

Right now I wouldn't take the playoffs because I think we've got a good shout of going up automatically, but I wouldn't be disappointed with them.

Stupid question really because you start a season believing you can win it do never settle for less

No it isn't a stupid question, it's hypothetical. No one is suggesting that we should only aim for the play offs. If some higher force could guarantee you a Play Off place at the end of the season right now...would you accept it or would you 'twist' bearing in mind that teams can go down as well as up?

In 20 games time if we are top of the table by 10 points then no I wouldn't be overly happy finishing in the Play Offs. After 2 games however it's a different story.

Agree we've splashed the cash but I wouldn't say it's been short-termism. We haven't spent beyond our means and Freeman, Smith, Little, Ayling they're all young players with the potential to play at a higher level.

Right now I wouldn't take the playoffs because I think we've got a good shout of going up automatically, but I wouldn't be disappointed with them.

Freeman, Smith, Little, Ayling they're all young players who in some cases are not cheap. It is good spending v previously poor, sometimes often astonishingly bad, but this is a form of short termism. City are based on money not long term planning. When Mr Cotterill arrived I expected the local lads to become peripheral, and it has happened. There is an element of Man City - ness in miniature to this. Expect more in to "freshen up the group" etc.

When Mr Cotterill arrived it was feared he would revert back to his dinosaur tactics. He has not, he is doing a very good job beyond what I expected and sort of feared. This is a weak league x Mr Cotterills very good job x Mr Lansdown and his wealth = City being able to hand the division its arse.

No.  It would take all the excitement out of the season.

Although I have to say the Hartlepool game and the Palace game were two of the most memorable games I have seen in recent times.

Not the Brighton game, then?

If someone offered me a place in the pray-offs now, I'd bite their hand off. For the record, I thought we made a decent show of it against Hull under GJ, and I'd expect nothing less from SC.

DW was another kettle of fertiliser altogether :grr:

Archived