IGNORED

James Alexander Gordon

glynriley

Memories, memories.

Coming out of grounds, radio clutched to ear on Radio 2 -  five o clock....De dum de dum de dum de dum, de dumidy dum de dum...and now the classified football results....

Before that, The Light Program, we all used to listen out for the classic.......

Bolton WandERERS 1  Wolverhampton WandERERS 1     .he always managed to put an extra ER in the name....RIP

Always always remember coming out of a ground getting into the car putting on five live and waiting for those chimes to play before he read out the score cast and pools from the days events... Part of childhood taken away, will always be remembered to me

Forfar 5 east fife 4

Time plays tricks with my mind...did the footie not used to be on radio 2, or am I just getting senile (well, that might be a given either way)...and I am sure games finished a little earlier!

Died today aged 78. I'm sure we've all listened to his dulcet tones on the way back from away games.

Rest In Peace.

Ah that's sad news ... provided the soundtrack for what three generations of football fans? ... RIP

• Admin

Apparently he read the results in the manner he did, for those who were checking their pools coupons. Do the pools still exist?

Many tributes to him today from his radio colleagues and they all sounded very genuine, he was obviously a very well liked man, I miss his reading of the results, but at least I had decades of hearing him.

RIP JAG

Always always remember coming out of a ground getting into the car putting on five live and waiting for those chimes to play before he read out the score cast and pools from the days events... Part of childhood taken away, will always be remembered to me

Once upon a time games used to finish at 4.45 and you could get back to your car by 5pm. Now you're lucky to be out of the ground by that time, perhaps this is the reason for the usual Dolman mass exodus?

Happened in 1963 before his time , he always claimed he would've loved to have read it

Came close as it ended 4-3 between the two in 2011 but it was never to be

There was a feature on him on TV a few years ago and he read this result as a joke.

Once upon a time games used to finish at 4.45 and you could get back to your car by 5pm. Now you're lucky to be out of the ground by that time, perhaps this is the reason for the usual Dolman mass exodus?

Nearly right! Games used to finish on a Saturday afternoon at 4:40pm as they all kicked off at 3pm and there was only a 10 minute half-time break. But you're right to say that everyone was back in the car in time to hear that music and "The first reading of today's football results read by James Alexander Gordon"

Once upon a time games used to finish at 4.45 ......

Sorry to be a pedant but games used to finish at 4:40. Injury time first half was exactly that , for injuries and most rare.

As a kid on Crackers Corner I'd leg it at final whistle back to my Gran's in Bath Street to catch Kent Walton saying: "Have a good week, till next week..." to immediately switch over to the VidiPrinter.

JAG will be greatly missed and I trust, like me, he meets his maker to the strains of 'Out of the Blue' (Sports Report theme.)

Forfar 5 east fife 4

I always thought it was the other way around that we were all waiting for....Forfar 4 East Fife 5 ???

Archived