IGNORED

The Official Bristol City V Leyton Orient Matchday Thread

Still in third, Clean sheet I'm happy with that seeing as wasn't the greatest performance, last year would lost games like this.

Think Jet should been brought on sooner though I thought but hey ho onwards & upwards.

Bringing on Jet may have helped, but he may not necessarily have scored.

It's possible he might have just stood somewhere in the final third, and rummaged around in his shorts.

Stranger things have happened.

*You're

So you think SC made his substitutions at the correct points in the match then? We had a bench that could do some real damage, and it was obvious at half time that we needed some fresh ideas.

It's a decent point, but I think we could have taken all 3 had SC been a bit smarter with his changes.

I'm in agreement that SC should got the subs on sooner & changed it around as sounded like Orient was getting the better of us sometimes so switching formation bringing Freeman & Jet on sooner would made them have to think more which hopefully would put us on the front foot.

Still we got clean sheet & are still third in the league having played the league favorites, a stubborn Colchester side & a team that should been promoted last season, this time last year the team would been in pieces before even taking to the pitch at Sheffield United, fell to bits after going 1-0 down against Colchester & would panicked after having a goal ruled out against Orient so all in all it's a great start having 7 points sitting in third & beating the title favorites.

COYR!!!

• Like 1

all very well saying cotts should make changes sooner but look at it another way,we were not conceding or likely to either so who do you take off earlier. his el abd for pack.shows how concerned he was about us going behind,

if we had gone 1 down,i dont think we could have got back into it very easily,orient sounded quite disciplined at breaking us down.

he couldnt throw Jet on earlier,there just wasnt space for a spare player.

the only change i thought possible was maybe waggy for little but thats why id never make it as a manager.

Bringing on Jet may have helped, but he may not necessarily have scored.

It's possible he might have just stood somewhere in the final third, and rummaged around in his shorts.

Stranger things have happened.

Yeah he might not have but had a gut feeling he might tried a lot to get us that win tonight & should always go with gut reactions imo as normally are right I've found but we didn't lose that was first & foremost imo being as we was at home.

Only thought we would had 4 points 5 max from these first three games before the season started.

I guess that's how far we have come in a relatively short space of time that I am a bit disappointed by the result! Still if someone would have offered me this start a fortnight ago I would have snapped their hand, and the rest of their arm for that matter, off.

Shame Rochdale played a very weak crewe team to get their confidence up, will be a tough test again sat but one I am looking forward to.

COYR

all very well saying cotts should make changes sooner but look at it another way,we were not conceding or likely to either so who do you take off earlier. his el abd for pack.shows how concerned he was about us going behind,

if we had gone 1 down,i dont think we could have got back into it very easily,orient sounded quite disciplined at breaking us down.

he couldnt throw Jet on earlier,there just wasnt space for a spare player.

the only change i thought possible was maybe waggy for little but thats why id never make it as a manager.

Pack was awful, overhit every pass more than 10 yards in length.  He could have come off for Freeman at half time or on 60 minutes and one of Elliott or Smith took the "sit in front of the three man defence and watch the ball sail over your head" role.  Bryan was ripe for subbing too, he wasn't producing anything at all - didn't beat his man once.

Wilbraham for JET would have made sense, since all we were doing from 10 minutes in until about 80 minutes in was punting at him.  Not his fault, but that really was awful to watch and completely ineffective.

I think the key message was clear from Cotterill's interview - "we knew we had to keep a clean sheet".  Why?  We were at home against Orient, we won our last two games without a clean sheet.  Why set us up to avoid defeat rather than win?

Yes it was a committed and fairly organised performance but there was nothing going forward, no creativity, no movement, just whack it and hope for a flick on.  We can bemoan the corner which looked like it should have stood but a fluke like that was our only hope of a goal the way we set up and played.  I want to see a City side playing good attacking football at home at least.

• Like 5

Think we're still short up front, the midfield and defence seems to be taking shape nicely. We're missing natural pace up top though imo

I dunno, I felt we lost the midfield battle because we bypassed it all too often. Three quality passers in there today and they spent too long craning their necks.

As I said at half time, we were playing 4-0-6 at times and it was very, very simplistic stuff.

I actually like Cotts. He's a very good fit for City. But he got most things wrong today.

Still there are a number of positives to take from it and we'd be foolish not to focus on those.

• Like 2

Yeah he might not have but had a gut feeling he might tried a lot to get us that win tonight & should always go with gut reactions imo as normally are right I've found but we didn't lose that was first & foremost imo being as we was at home.

Only thought we would had 4 points 5 max from these first three games before the season started.

Agree with you about gut instincts.

And our start to the league campaign has exceeded my expectations too.

Now for a tug.

I dunno, I felt we lost the midfield battle because we bypassed it all too often. Three quality passers in there today and they spent too long craning their necks.

As I said at half time, we were playing 4-0-6 at times and it was very, very simplistic stuff.

I actually like Cotts. He's a very good fit for City. But he got most things wrong today.

Still there are a number of positives to take from it and we'd be foolish not to focus on those.

SC bottled it today, JET should have come on with 25 to go for Wilbraham,

How many clear chances has Baldock had this season without JET in the side?

Pack was awful, overhit every pass more than 10 yards in length. He could have come off for Freeman at half time or on 60 minutes and one of Elliott or Smith took the "sit in front of the three man defence and watch the ball sail over your head" role. Bryan was ripe for subbing too, he wasn't producing anything at all - didn't beat his man once.

Wilbraham for JET would have made sense, since all we were doing from 10 minutes in until about 80 minutes in was punting at him. Not his fault, but that really was awful to watch and completely ineffective.

I think the key message was clear from Cotterill's interview - "we knew we had to keep a clean sheet". Why? We were at home against Orient, we won our last two games without a clean sheet. Why set us up to avoid defeat rather than win?

Yes it was a committed and fairly organised performance but there was nothing going forward, no creativity, no movement, just whack it and hope for a flick on. We can bemoan the corner which looked like it should have stood but a fluke like that was our only hope of a goal the way we set up and played. I want to see a City side playing good attacking football at home at least.

Have to agree with the lack of creativity. Was disappointing and seemed as though we set up not to lose. Bryan was hugely disappointing as well. Amazed he stayed on as long as he did as he was an absolute passenger.

And there it is. Jeez.

Seeing great passes isn't useful, making them is.  He was great when he came on on Saturday, and I'd love it if he played like that more often getting stuck in and distributing effectively but he was terrible tonight.  Flint completed more forward passes and contributed more to attacking play. 

Do you not agree with that?

Pack was terrible tonight. Usually the best passer at the club but was useless this evening. Put us in danger on a number of occasions with poor balls.

Did you notice how many options he had at any one point? He over hit 4 passes maximum out of I would guess to be well over 50.

The problem is the movement and it always has been

Did you notice how many options he had at any one point? He over hit 4 passes maximum out of I would guess to be well over 50.

Movement is definitely a problem but you don't tend to get much when you slow down play to whack a 50 yard ball every time you get possession - we seemed to be set up for a hopeful long ball.  I disagree with your count, it was many more than that.

The game was far to close and everyone was working hard. Didn't need a passenger out there tonight.

Well, not to slate Wilbrahimavic off, but he was poor second half and couldn't control anything.

The game was crying out for a moment of creativity and we have the most creative player in the division on our bench.

But, and I can't stress this enough. It's a good point in the long run I reckon. Just could have been 3

The game was far to close and everyone was working hard. Didn't need a passenger out there tonight.

Well, not to slate Wilbrahimavic off, but he was poor second half and couldn't control anything.

The game was crying out for a moment of creativity and we have the most creative player in the division on our bench.

But, and I can't stress this enough. It's a good point in the long run I reckon. Just could have been 3

Orient looked a stubborn outfit and will probably do well with Henderson up top. Well worth their point.

We were a bit disappointing really. Maybe the 'goal' should have stood but not enough good chances created.

Freeman should have been on earlier for the woeful Pack.

Fielding looked very dodgy - new keeper a must for me.

Over hit yes, under hit just as many which caused us problems.

Agree movement was an issue but doesn't mean you need to force the pass.

Luckily his poor touch on the age of our own area didnt cost us.

it was by far Wilbrahams worse performance to date but he still had something to offer if only in defence against a strong physical side who could cause problems from a set piece. I think this is the reason he stayed on for as long as he did.

Orient were a very solid team who negated us with some ease, so the substitutions needed to be earlier and give Orient something different to think about, either in terms of creativity or pace. Preferably both.

Freeman or Jet for creativity - after Freeman's peformance on Saturday definitely Jet for me - and Burns for pace.

We played without all 3 players for most of the match and subsequently - with Elliot again below par - were very predictable and uninspired.

At home at least I want the manager to be positive and go for the win, it's about entertainment after all.

SC has often says he likes Burns, so let's see more of him this season, not less please Cotts.