IGNORED

West Coast Usa

Calculus

Am planning a two week trip to USA West coast and expect to fly to Vegas, work towards San Francisco and then down to coast to LA. Have never been to anywhere in the US before and not sure whether to sign up for a package or just get flights and a car and book hotels, trips etc out there. Would really appreciate advice from anyone who's done this trip.

Thanks

Did a similar trip a few years ago and I booked everything prior to leaving. Didn't book any packages as such but spent a lot of time online looking at different places along the route. Found it much cheaper this way and gave us a lot more scope & freedom.

We started in Vegas and hired a car which we dropped off in San Francisco. Went via Death Valley, Yosemete etc and had a great time. Stayed at one place called Bear Creek Cabins near Yosemete which was just brilliant.

Have a great time

Did a similar trip a few years back, flew into Vegas, drove out to LA via Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon and Joshua Tree. Then up the coast to San Fran.

We only booked the minivan and the 2 nights in Vegas, the rest was just whatever we found.

Stuff that I would recommend seeing: Death Valley, Dam, Canyon, Hearst Castle in San Simeon, drive up the coast through Carmel and Monterey.

You'll have a cracking time.

Am planning a two week trip to USA West coast and expect to fly to Vegas, work towards San Francisco and then down to coast to LA. Have never been to anywhere in the US before and not sure whether to sign up for a package or just get flights and a car and book hotels, trips etc out there. Would really appreciate advice from anyone who's done this trip.

Thanks

Two weeks doesn't sound like a lot of time to do this.

You have to visit the Grand Canyon if possible. It's one of the most incredible things you'll ever see IMO.

Death Valley definitely worth a visit as is Joshua Tree (though bit out the way for you). Vegas is fine for 1 or 2 nights but unless you like gambling it gets boring pretty quick.

San Fran is great, love the vistas of the bay you get from Nob Hill but also all around the city. The Academy of Sciences is a cool museum in Golden Gate Park. Little Italy also worth a visit.

I would agree with poster above that you should drive down to Monterey (via Santa Cruz perhaps) which has a world famous sea life centre, Pebble Beach golf course and also several British pubs! Nice coastline also with loads of sea lions, seals and birds.

Then drive down the stunning highway 1. I've heard San Luis Obisco is worth a look - if not there than Santa Barbara is a beautiful town (with beautiful women!) with nice beach and some great seafood.

In LA Santa Monica is the place to stay, again home to a lot of British ex-pats including the rich and famous. You can walk down to Venice Beach. I would also recommend visiting the Getty Center and maybe not Hollywood as it's a bit of a shithole! Also give Disneyland a miss!

You have to visit the Grand Canyon if possible. It's one of the most incredible things you'll ever see IMO.

Death Valley definitely worth a visit as is Joshua Tree (though bit out the way for you). Vegas is fine for 1 or 2 nights but unless you like gambling it gets boring pretty quick.

San Fran is great, love the vistas of the bay you get from Nob Hill but also all around the city. The Academy of Sciences is a cool museum in Golden Gate Park. Little Italy also worth a visit.

I would agree with poster above that you should drive down to Monterey (via Santa Cruz perhaps) which has a world famous sea life centre, Pebble Beach golf course and also several British pubs! Nice coastline also with loads of sea lions, seals and birds.

Then drive down the stunning highway 1. I've heard San Luis Obisco is worth a look - if not there than Santa Barbara is a beautiful town (with beautiful women!) with nice beach and some great seafood.

In LA Santa Monica is the place to stay, again home to a lot of British ex-pats including the rich and famous. You can walk down to Venice Beach. I would also recommend visiting the Getty Center and maybe not Hollywood as it's a bit of a shithole! Also give Disneyland a miss!

San Luis Obispo is certainly worth a look:  we stopped there the night before going to San Simeon, college town and made for a decent night out.  Personally I thought it much nicer than Santa Cruz.

San Fran is great, love the vistas of the bay you get from Nob Hill but also all around the city.

If Rovers were a hill they'd be Nob Hill.................sorry, wrong thread

If your going to Santa Monica and want a bit of taste of home, go to the Kings Head on Santa Monica Boulevard 

My Grandfather said the very same thing when he did a trip to that part of the world. Vegas was absolutely beautiful with the lights and the Bellagio Water fountains and the shows were excellent, but he said the same with regards to the time, he spent 3 nights there and said he's glad it was only that long.

He also did a helicopter ride around the Grand Canyon, he said that was one of the best things he's ever done.

One place I did not get to visit was the Getty Museum.  Keep meaning to take it in, but still not managed it.

We only spent a couple of days in LA, staying in West Hollywood.  A couple of days was more than enough to see the touristy bits (sign, Chinese Theatre, Santa Monica boulevard, pavement outside the Viper Room etc) but after that was more than happy to head north.

Archived