IGNORED

Steve Cotterill - Has He Won You Round?

Sniper

Glad he came in when he did. I dread to think what could have happened.

SC has been given the luxury of signing a number players and has chosen attacking, exciting players who have goals in them rather than solid, boring result grinders.

In that respect, yes, I am happier than when he was confirmed as manager because of his dull football reputation (links people posted to forests forum etc)

A good start so far this year...

No. I think SOD should have been given more time :-)

i'd like to think your comment was tongue in cheek, but sadly I suspect that it isn't (forgive me if i'm wrong). 

Where is he now?, don't see his name seriously mentioned for any job vacancy, but Rachel 'hey ho' Flint, maybe some day he will seriously make BCFC regret their decision, but excuse me if I don't hold my breath in the meantime.

I will admit that I was disappointed when SOD was sacked, but I do have to say the SC has proved it was the correct decision. People might not like it but I do think that SC is a Bristol City type manager! We want someone to show passion, to instill confidence in the players and to be successful, well so far he had ticked all of these boxes. For the first time in years we are starting the season with more that just blind hope, but genuine optimism based on performances, signings and results.

I just hope it continues!!!

I've got to take a tiny slice of that humble pie. I wasn't one that totally smashed SC to bits, but I wasn't overly excited about the appointment either. I think from a personal point of view, I was more annoyed about the whole hiring process rather than the actual appointment of SC himself.

I've also got to say that a lot of people on here spouted out about SC's love of the long ball game!! It just goes to show how much some people on here actually know, and how much of their so called "knowledge" is just a load of absolute tripe.

Oddly, I think some people believe the media bias that West Country Accent = thick or at least a bit naff.

Strange on this forum, as most of us probably have West Country accents!

When I've heard him speak to a room full of people , it's obvious he's no doofus but is a switched-on guy with lots of self-confidence that can rub off on players around him. Just look at Flint for an example.

He done brilliantly to sort out SODS mess last season.. but this season is a big one for him, with the riches we've spent basically cherry picking the best players in league 1 it seems that anything other than play offs is a complete failure. I like the bloke, doesn't mince words or take 10 minutes to make one measly point like some..

Oddly, I think some people believe the media bias that West Country Accent = thick or at least a bit naff.

Strange on this forum, as most of us probably have West Country accents!

When I've heard him speak to a room full of people , it's obvious he's no doofus but is a switched-on guy with lots of self-confidence that can rub off on players around him. Just look at Flint for an example.

Agreed RR. When SC joined, one poster jumped straight on his West Country accent making a big thing of how thick he sounded. Ridiculous really.

We'm all a bit fick then innuss? :farmer:

Pleasantly surprised so far. Looking back, I think SOD's main problem was inability to communicate with the Board. SC seems to have no problems in that direction.

I have to say I'm surprised by those who knock his interviews. It's not Brain of Britain stuff, but he's clear about what he wants from the players and whether he's getting it. I suspect that his relation with the Board is similar.

Didn't want him at all - was totally underwhelmed and definitely influenced by other teams fans' speaking badly of him.

At present, he looks a very good appointment. Strong squad, postivity and energy. Small touches too, shaking every hand of the opposition benches, refusing to comment on other teams players etc.. seems a good sport too.

I like him, glad we chose him now.

What is people's issue with his interviews out of interest?

Not a negative as others have indicated this may be, more that he just says the bleeding obvious and is another cliched robot with an accent that makes him sound worse than he is. I enjoyed SoD's interviews (I have large, powerful speakers and an amplifier the size of an aircraft hangar), he said some different things to the normal tripe we get from 95% of the LMA and, results aside, I enjoyed his view on the game. I think most of us did before he got here, more than could be said for Cotts.

All that said, as others point out, it really doesn't matter what he says in interviews, his positivity is infectious and results are the be all and end all. 

Call me odd, but I liked a bit of SoD. Nothing against Cotts - in fact, I look forward in eager fanzine editor anticipation of his next ''rusty boots'' or ''sexy football'' comment.

Remember everyone, each to their own! We're all as right and wrong as each other in this... It's all about the opinion...

Interesting thread.

I didn't want him. And jury is still out on whether that was justified.

Yes, he's made some great signings - but couldn't we all, given a seemingly open cheque book? Our previous two managers were told to cut costs and save money so it's impossible to compare - what could they have done in this same situation? We'll never know.

I can't see a day when I like him - too brash and arrogant for me (and yes I have met him'). And fine that others think he's a perfect fit for City. I don't. But that's not important. I will always back the team but "Cotts" hasn't won me over.

This season could be a huge success (thanks to aforesaid open cheque book and some hopefully astute signings and decent football for which he deserves credit) or we could have spent a fortune and miss out. Time will tell if he can bring it all together with the right strategies. Desperately needing another keeper is a worry which we have to hope he has in hand.

Still feel that we're a club with no long-term strategy though. Our only strategy seems to be get us back to the championship by whatever means. And don't even start me in the lack of due diligence on his appointment!! Not his fault but my confidence in SL has plummeted as a result.

• Admin

For me he's the first manager who seems to agree with the fans over which are the most problematic positions that need improving. I can't remember questioning why he has brought a player in a certain position in or why he hasn't strengthened another area instead.

If we carry on getting results and don't spend the season humping the ball at Wilbraham like we did the other night he will win me around in time but not yet, no.

There is an element of hoof ball in the last couple of games, and I think a big reason for that is our centre backs don't have the quality or confidence to bring it out, and distribute the ball well. 

There is an element of hoof ball in the last couple of games, and I think a big reason for that is our centre backs don't have the quality or confidence to bring it out, and distribute the ball well. 

I think Ayling and Williams can bring it out even if the long pass is tempting and it wasn't too bad in the first two games, however I think on Tuesday night we were set up for it and it was the gameplan from the kick off.

Jury definately out for me. Big improvement' although I missed last season. Watched Tuesdays game, both teams played good football. However, if you were a neutral, which manager would you tip to win the league? Pass & move (with pace), or search for our top scorer? Either way, believe we'll be there at the end. Good luck to SC. Got my support!

SC is not employed to be a nice guy, a witty interviewee and the life and soul of the party.

He is  employed to be successful. If he is,  then I couldn't give a stuff about the rest and at the moment it is so far so god from me.

Footballing wise he has won me over with what he's done so far. Personality wise i'm not so keen.

My worry when he arrived is that we would resort to long ball tactics and that he wouldn't play the kids and stunt their progression. Pleased to say the former of those has been disproved. He has got the team playing (for the most part) exciting entertaining football. The jury is still out on the second part.

We not only survived but did it comfortably and even when the form dipped we still ground out results probably due to the belief he had installed in the majority of the squad. I've been impressed by the majority of his signings so fair play on that score too. I think he has been lucky in as much as the change in approach by the board allowing him to bring in whoever he wants (within reason obviously), the good work by the previous two managers in reducing the wage bill and that a few of the previous bosses signings coming good after had a run of games last season.

He has certainly fell on his feet arriving at the club in what looks like a good time but as the saying goes, you make your own luck and his positivity and enthusiasm has probably deserved that.

This season is the real test. Recently a few new bosses have come in and kept us up, made all the right noises during the summer only to fall short in their first full season. So far that doesn't look the case i'm delighted to say, but the pressure will be on to deliver and our fans will be quick to turn and the owner will be expecting instant success. Fingers crossed he can deliver, he has my full support.

Very good finish to last season and start to this.

However for the amount of money he has spent on bringing in players for this season I would view anything other than promotion as a failure to be honest. I wouldn't be expecting this of he hadn't had spent so much or had put in more focus on youth. With the signings in this league being fairly established for this league (Freeman, Agard furthermore) must put us highest wage bill I would imagine. Needs to get us promoted now to be a city success I feel.

At the time he took over, I would have seen objectives as;

Season one - get us stabilised, and above everything else, keep us up. Alongside this, the team to be more competitive next year. Difficult to say he did not do this very well.

Season two - As the team settles, start pushing for the too six. There or there about's is success;

Season three - if we are still in this league, promotion. Simple as.

At the moment, is doing very well, but the above are my measures. If we start slipping badly against those, then he will come under pressure.

Long term, we should be looking to build a comfortable mid table Championship side.

Support him totally as he has won the important battles has has had so far. Long way to go in the war however.

I always had time for SoD and believed his ideals. I expect with the right quad of players it would've worked. However watching that clip last week of 'stupid question' highlighted to me the lack of passion and positivity that was lacking and we needed at the time. SC brought in that much needed positivity, his determination and character has obviously influenced the team - and swung signings in our favour.

The football has improved, you can't underestimate the power of confidence, you just have to look at Sam and Flinty! We may not win promotion this season but I feel he is a good fit for this club. I am generally excited about Bristol City's prospects. New stadium, new strip and some decent pasties.

The future's bright but it isn't going to be easy!

COYRs

Archived