IGNORED

Cotts

YourMyMartinKuhl

Not sure why some are over reacting? It was a decent point yesterday considering we probably didn't deserve one. 8 points is a good start and one we all would have taken at the start of the season. We seem much more resilient now. I must admit I am a little disappointed with SC's substitutions (or lack of) in the last two games . He does seem to be playing it a bit too safe given the attacking options we have but ultimately we are unbeaten and he has got it right so far. Bring on Notts C next Sunday. 

There is a quite delicious irony in this thread in that the only people 'overreacting' are the ones accusing others of doing so.

As far as I can see, a few people have raised questions over the lack of subs and been critical of a poor second half performance. This forum is going to get pretty boring this season if every single question/criticism/complaint is met with 'Grow up, it was much worse last year'. I may have missed something, but to accuse anyone of 'having a pop' at the manager is frankly laughable.

Firstly the subs. The decision to only make one sub I would say is quite unusual so will always draw comment when you haven't won, especially when we have all got excited over what at this level is an embarrassment of riches in terms of attacking players and two of them sat on the bench yesterday unused. Personally I would have liked to see at least one of them Agard/JET been given a run out to see if we could nick the win, but I fully appreciate Cotterill's reasoning that he thought Baldock and Wilbraham were playing well and can understand that changing the system may have seemed too brave. I was personally more confused by Wagstaff for Freeman as I don't see how we were preparing to make that sub at 1-0, yet it remained the correct decision after the equaliser? 

Anyway, we can all debate on whether proposed substitutions would have made any difference, but for me more of a concern is that for 45 minutes we were in control of the game, yet failed to really create many chances and then second half we were pretty much outplayed for 45 minutes and Rochdale were certainly the team in the ascendancy. You could question whether the manager seeming not to believe that we had anyone on the bench that could help us get back in the game/nick the points is a slightly worrying verdict on his squad and cause for concern when we inevitably suffer injuries/suspensions and losses of form.

I would be surprised if anybody is upset about getting (just) a point away from home and you would have to be in cloud cuckoo land to be anything other than delighted with eight points from four games, but that doesn't mean that people can't be a tad concerned about a dismal second half display in which we ended up hanging on for a point or questionning whether Agard or JET (47 goals between them last season?) weren't worth a run out to try and nick the points especially as Wilbraham had struggled to replicate his excellent first half performance after the break and Baldock as much as we may all know is one of the best strikers in the league is still looking for his first goal of the season.

Only Bristol City fans can have a pop at the manager for not losing a game all season. You really couldn't make it up.

I'd take a draw away to Rochdale all day long.

I don't see it as having a pop as such, we have assembled a squad which is very good, I would just like to see the squad utilised a little better, I did not go yesterday so won't comment but on Tuesday JET shoukd have been given 25 mins.

There is a quite delicious irony in this thread in that the only people 'overreacting' are the ones accusing others of doing so.

As far as I can see, a few people have raised questions over the lack of subs and been critical of a poor second half performance. This forum is going to get pretty boring this season if every single question/criticism/complaint is met with 'Grow up, it was much worse last year'. I may have missed something, but to accuse anyone of 'having a pop' at the manager is frankly laughable.

Firstly the subs. The decision to only make one sub I would say is quite unusual so will always draw comment when you haven't won, especially when we have all got excited over what at this level is an embarrassment of riches in terms of attacking players and two of them sat on the bench yesterday unused. Personally I would have liked to see at least one of them Agard/JET been given a run out to see if we could nick the win, but I fully appreciate Cotterill's reasoning that he thought Baldock and Wilbraham were playing well and can understand that changing the system may have seemed too brave. I was personally more confused by Wagstaff for Freeman as I don't see how we were preparing to make that sub at 1-0, yet it remained the correct decision after the equaliser? 

Anyway, we can all debate on whether proposed substitutions would have made any difference, but for me more of a concern is that for 45 minutes we were in control of the game, yet failed to really create many chances and then second half we were pretty much outplayed for 45 minutes and Rochdale were certainly the team in the ascendancy. You could question whether the manager seeming not to believe that we had anyone on the bench that could help us get back in the game/nick the points is a slightly worrying verdict on his squad and cause for concern when we inevitably suffer injuries/suspensions and losses of form.

I would be surprised if anybody is upset about getting (just) a point away from home and you would have to be in cloud cuckoo land to be anything other than delighted with eight points from four games, but that doesn't mean that people can't be a tad concerned about a dismal second half display in which we ended up hanging on for a point or questionning whether Agard or JET (47 goals between them last season?) weren't worth a run out to try and nick the points especially as Wilbraham had struggled to replicate his excellent first half performance after the break and Baldock as much as we may all know is one of the best strikers in the league is still looking for his first goal of the season.

It looks very much to me as JET is being frozen out. Not sure where he will fit into the side now. I do however hope to see SC utilise the attacking options better in the future. 

RR, the two strikers didn't have a shot at goal between them. I can assure you it needed a change, neither played well and I like them both, they just both had a poor game.

Also Cunningham had a shocker, looks off the pace and possibly unfit. That also needed a change.

I was just gobsmacked that we didn't make at least a like for like change against a very beatable Rochdale side.

What has happened to the football we were playing at the back end of last season?

It will be interesting to see who gets picked out of Bryan and Cunningham next week.  Bryan definitely has the chance to establish himself over Cunningham in that role.

It will be interesting to see who gets picked out of Bryan and Cunningham next week. Bryan definitely has the chance to establish himself over Cunningham in that role.

Bryan hasn't looked convincing at all when given a chance. Perhaps LWB is am area that needs looking at? Cunningham is struggling there at the moment

i think cotts is convinced baldock and wilbraham are a perfect strike partnership,unable to take off wilbs because he is good defensively and cant upset baldock until the transfer window closes. i can later see them both being hauled off together but for the time being his hands may be tied.

as for the sustitution,i wanted waggy on against orient as we needed a bit more of an outlet up front but yesterday felt pack would have been better coming on to steady the ship against the waves of pressure coming at them

Cunningham is a full back, the LWB position is like a new position.. I'm not surprised he's struggling

Little is a right back and can play RWB very well because of how he attacks. It's a different position but in the modern game playing as a wing back should not be that different to a full back. Greg does attack well so I'm surprised he's struggling to be honest

Heres a post from a Rochdale fan on another forum:

"Brizzle looked everything I expected in the first half, strong, organised with real quality up front. Freeman looked a cut above.

Without doubt a team that will be competing at the top end of the table for me, yet they struggled to cope with us second half as we went a bit loco. At 1-0 and 1-1 they didn't go all Ferguson Jnr on us and time waste, feign injury or defensive.

All the F's stood out for me, Frankie, Flint and Freeman.

Fine team, fine point for us that could have been three.

I think everyone agrees that with the talent on the bench he could have gone for the win in the last two games however by going for the win we could have ended up losing. It may have not been pretty but we are unbeaten and have a good foundation for a season. I'm sure if this was later in the season and we were adrift of the promotions places then he would have gone for it. We didn't need to do that yesterday 

My posts were made out of frustration. Not every game is going to be there for the taking but yesterday was. I felt we were off the pace in the 2nd half and needed a change or two. Cotterill didn't move from his seat for the last 15 minutes despite the fact Rochdale were all over us.

Regardless of how petty it may seem I expect a manager to acknowledge and appreciate the away support before marching down the tunnel.

Further to that, regardless of results and points on the board, long ball football as plan A isn't cool at all.

I think everyone agrees that with the talent on the bench he could have gone for the win in the last two games however by going for the win we could have ended up losing. It may have not been pretty but we are unbeaten and have a good foundation for a season. I'm sure if this was later in the season and we were adrift of the promotions places then he would have gone for it. We didn't need to do that yesterday 

As long as the players understand exactly what Cotts game plan is and they also understand  that they all will be given a chance to feel part of the team. Past results don't mean a thing, it's the next game that counts. It is a team game. When the manager knows how best to use his team, he will, but you can see he is still uncertain but will get there.

My posts were made out of frustration. Not every game is going to be there for the taking but yesterday was. I felt we were off the pace in the 2nd half and needed a change or two. Cotterill didn't move from his seat for the last 15 minutes despite the fact Rochdale were all over us.

Regardless of how petty it may seem I expect a manager to acknowledge and appreciate the away support before marching down the tunnel.

Further to that, regardless of results and points on the board, long ball football as plan A isn't cool at all.

Ok this is going to sound a bit pedantic but how can a game be there for a taking if they are over us? :shifty:

All I can say is thank **** we didn't lose then.

To my mind, he's looked much better than Cunningham . And scored a goal!

I wouldn't say Bryan has looked much better at all. Both probably been quite similar performance wise but of course Bryan has scored. To me though Cunningham has looked out of sorts and confidence whereas Bryan (apart from scoring) has not looked like a player fighting for his place

I wouldn't say Bryan has looked much better at all. Both probably been quite similar performance wise but of course Bryan has scored. To me though Cunningham has looked out of sorts and confidence whereas Bryan (apart from scoring) has not looked like a player fighting for his place

We'll agree to differ then as Bryan is much better at getting deep and putting crosses in than Cunningham imo.

Cunningham has looked the weakest link to me this season. I don't want to talk the man down as we both know what he can do, but I can't really remember him having a good game for a while. Confidence issues?

We'll agree to differ then as Bryan is much better at getting deep and putting crosses in than Cunningham imo.

Cunningham has looked the weakest link to me this season. I don't want to talk the man down as we both know what he can do, but I can't really remember him having a good game for a while. Confidence issues?

Greg belongs in a back four, and I'd like to see that myself.

Perhaps it is confidence issues. It's worrying as it's a role I think he should easily be able to adapt to. Let's hope it's just a minor blip for Greg.

Didn't Cotterill explain in his post match interview why he didn't bring on Agard?

He said (paraphrasing) that both strikers were playing well and he didn't want to make changes just in case the subs didn't play as well.

Good to see you back Robbered..... Thoughts maybe right but until C explains we will guess. No abuse from me so far.... Leave it to the pro's, too many managers here..........................

I am astounded by the patience of our fans. For goodness sake we have not even got to September yet and already we have been knocked out of two cup competitions. To just give up on the league cup and FA vase so spinelessly really is unacceptable. Cotts out.

I'd give Wagstaff a go on the LWB position. The other two lads haven't played well for a while and I think it's fair Scott gets his chance.

SW doesn't suit in the midfield three as it showed against Oxford. I don't see why he doesn't get a chance on the left, he's got the energy, pace and strength.

I'd give Wagstaff a go on the LWB position. The other two lads haven't played well for a while and I think it's fair Scott gets his chance.

SW doesn't suit in the midfield three as it showed against Oxford. I don't see why he doesn't get a chance on the left, he's got the energy, pace and strength.

I dunno; after all those years putting right footers on the left, the suggestion (though not a bad one; I like Wagstaff, and he could probably do a job) scares the hell outta me.

Can't see us going far from Cunningham or Bryan (with the former most likely to persist), but slightly out there suggestion; what about Tom King?  Lad is 20 now; surely got to get a look in or go on loan or something?

Archived