IGNORED

Cotts

YourMyMartinKuhl

Where did Waggy play when he came on?

Correct me if I am wrong but were we under the cosh for the majority of the second half because we allowed ourselves to be?

I have a funny feeling this won't be the first topic of this nature.

I agree with the poster who referenced long ball. We have a decent midfield now and we are actively choosing to go long and not utilise a) the creativity in midfield, and b) the pace on the wings:

Ultimately it all depends on where we want to finish. I'd put a wager on to say Dale will be in th bottom half of the table come May and if we want to be challenging then this would have been a game we would have wanted to be winning.

I get the win your home games and get a point away theory but teams will get points from us at the Gate, we are far than formidable there.

I'm still positive because it's early days but the long ball can't and shouldn't be plan A as we'll get found out at this level.

On that basis, he owes us nothing as the rational majority will accept that a point away from home is a point gained.

I'd rather we safeguarded that point than risk it by bringing on subs who may have lost the game for us.

We're averaging 2 points a game which is more than good.

WTF should SC explain himself ?

Not so long ago he proclaimed "I'm a winner".

During the past week he could have become a double winner if he had shown more courage in making substitutions.

He didn't and was prepared to be a "pair of drawers".

He's doing moderately well but could do better and be a winner

Why is no one discussing our style of football thus year? As puckle red said we seem to be turning into a bloody long ball team with wilbraham in the side and it totally bypasses our decent midfield..

Not gonna lie, I won't be to impressed if we carry on playing this way. Really thought we were gonna take games by the scruff of the neck this season with possession based football, seems a million miles away at the moment!

Why is no one discussing our style of football thus year? As puckle red said we seem to be turning into a bloody long ball team with wilbraham in the side and it totally bypasses our decent midfield..

Not gonna lie, I won't be to impressed if we carry on playing this way. Really thought we were gonna take games by the scruff of the neck this season with possession based football, seems a million miles away at the moment!

This ^

We didn't buy Wade and Freeman for Flint and Williams to pump it long. Let's see how tactically good Cotts is. The squad is excellent.

Concerning. We have reverted to smashing it up to Wilbraham again yesterday. Wilbraham himself should have been replaced on 60-65 mins, he was spent. Baldock again didn't have a sniff but if you play long ball what can you expect?

We have quality in midfield which is pointless because it's going over their heads.

For the manager to leave two very capable goalscorers on the bench is extremely disappointing. Rochdale were there for the taking but our long ball tactics played right into their hands. 2 points well and truly dropped, Rochdale were a very average side yet had we conceded in the last minute it would have served us right.

Correct, I chose to leave the house at 9:30am and return at 9pm but I expect us to try to win a game which is there for the taking, especially if we are happy to smash the ball up to the strikers, very, very disappointed.

To top it off SC didn't acknowledge the fairly sizable away support.

Up the City.

I've watched every single game this season and I can't say I've walked out of the ground thinking "We've got a promotion winning team here", I looked at the Rochdale forum and the first comment I saw was a Rochdale fan calling us dogshit.. And I think he is right. We are playing a slight brand of hoof ball but whenever we rarely pass the ball around our players look like they don't have a clue what they are doing, which is concerning considering the players we have at this level. 

I am slightly hoping that when Wilbraham is out the team and we somehow fit Agard, Baldock and Freeman into a formation we might see the end of hoof ball.. But I won't hold my breath.

But to end on a positive note our defence looks good imo, solid, compact and not a lot of teams will score a lot of goals against us this season.

I posted something similar after the Os game.

Ive not been impressed so far with how we've played. Colchester skewed the stats by allowing us to come on to them after fhe first goal, and we looked clueless in how to break a team that sits deep down.

The football has not been great, but if were top 2 or even 6 after 10 games maybe we have to put up with it.

RR, the two strikers didn't have a shot at goal between them. I can assure you it needed a change, neither played well and I like them both, they just both had a poor game.

Also Cunningham had a shocker, looks off the pace and possibly unfit. That also needed a change.

I was just gobsmacked that we didn't make at least a like for like change against a very beatable Rochdale side.

What has happened to the football we were playing at the back end of last season?

I posted something similar after the Os game.

Ive not been impressed so far with how we've played. Colchester skewed the stats by allowing us to come on to them after fhe first goal, and we looked clueless in how to break a team that sits deep down.

The football has not been great, but if were top 2 or even 6 after 10 games maybe we have to put up with it.

I remember watching Rotherham  away last year, and they finished 4th or 5th, and their brand of football was excellent, good crisp passing, constant movement from their players and were a threat up front the whole game. And can you remember Wolves and Brentford? We are a million miles away from those teams so far, and they both got promoted. That should be our benchmark.

I dislike hoof ball as much as anyone but we have to remember that this current squad is relatively new. Therefore it's easy enough for them to resort to that dreaded British 'tactic' of hoof ball, looking for a knock down. Having a tall striker just encourages it.

Smith, Willbraham.Freeman, Ayling, Little and now Agard are all yet to gel into a decent side capable of promotion.

I dislike hoof ball as much as anyone but we have to remember that this current squad is relatively new. Therefore it's easy enough for them to resort to that dreaded British 'tactic' of hoof ball, looking for a knock down. Having a tall striker just encourages it.

Smith, Willbraham.Freeman, Ayling, Little and now Agard are all yet to gel into a decent side capable of promotion.

God I hope your right

I once flew first class on a long haul flight but now every time I fly on a plane in standard , I get a little disappointed.

Until next time I guess I just have to manage my expectations

This makes absolutely no sense..

With the team we have assembled which by the way is first class for this division we should be playing football to match... Not second class long ball Shite!!

Good old otib over-reaction at its best

Ffs grow up people we've played 4 won 2 drew 2

We are t a ******* hoof ball team until we are under pressure much like every single team in the ******* world

Coterill should of changed things then so we were not under pressure, he has the tools

This makes absolutely no sense..

With the team we have assembled which by the way is first class for this division we should be playing football to match... Not second class long ball Shite!!

What makes no sense to me is a knee jerk over reaction to one of the best starts to the season in years with a potentially excellent squad. My point is give it time.

Good old otib over-reaction at its best

Ffs grow up people we've played 4 won 2 drew 2

We are t a ******* hoof ball team until we are under pressure much like every single team in the ******* world

Grow up?

It's simply a valid observation... One which I'd rather be making whilst we are getting points on the board.

It looks like there are two different questions being asked here, with an answer to the first being used to answer the second very different question.

The first question is overall are we happy with eight points from the first four games played? Yes, absolutely. Looking at the first four, I thought there were on paper at least two teams I expect to be in the top six at the end (might not work out that way), and I would have bitten your arm off for the kind of start we have made.

The second (unrelated) question, is are we happy with the way, yesterday, in isolation, went. For the first time, we were really second best for pretty much the whole of the second half, and the consensus seems to be we were on balance lucky to get the point. Now, it is fair to say in a game in which we were under the cosh, Cotts did find a way to dig out a point. Equally, it feels like one of those games in the last third of last season we would have found a way to have got a win. Its not so much the draw in itself, but that we were pretty much outplayed by Rochdale for 45 minutes.

Is there anything that Cotts could have done to change the way the game was going? What effect subs would have made can only be speculation, but it was clear that he did not believe any changes he could have made would have improved the situation. That in itself seems a little worrying.

It seems that Rochdale were playing a very high line. The one thing JET could do last year was make a half yard and pick out a pass to Sammy. Remember all those one on ones? Not a sniff really of any of those this year. What is Cotts seeing that he simply does not trust JET, even for 20 minutes, to make a contribution? Maybe when things were starting to turn (as many on the match thread called before they scored) he could have been brave, gone against the general view, and gone one up front, and tried to exercise more control on the game in midfield?

He may have done exactly the right thing, but one of the traits of an excellent manager is that they are able to see when a game is changing, and make changes that in themselves affect the game. He does seem very conservative on that side at the moment.

Should not forget this is a side that has made a fair number of changes, and in all of this, we are looking through a City prism. We really should acknowledge as well how well Rochdale played in the second half as well. The first team really this year to make us look second best for an extended period.

Much has also been made of our attacking potency compared to last year. It is worth pointing out so far we have scored five compared to nine this time last year. The difference is we have conceeded three compared to eleven. The key difference which gets overlooked with all the talk of strikers is how much more solid we are through midfield and defence.  

So. Overall start? A-. How we did yesterday? C-.

No need for anything approaching panic, or even despair, but a few question marks from yesterday in my mind which are better being put in to the debate as to how we are doing after ten games, rather than four.

Can't believe some of the comments I'm reading on here. Rewind your minds back 12 months ago and just remember how bad we were then. Now compare that with the way we are playing now? Quit your moaning.

We weren't playing too bad away from home this time last season, silly individual defensive errors was costing us points...  it was SOD setting us up not to lose at home which was his major downfall. We aren't playing too much different this season but SC has got the defence more organised.

While its a bit of an extreme reaction to moan about a point away from home, you can see where posters are coming from tbh. We seem to have spent a fair wad this season and brought in some very good players on top of an already decent squad so fans are fairly expectant, I personally don't think we'll make even the playoffs and predicted we would finish 8th or 9th so no real expectancy from me however you can see the buzz around why we are one of the favourites and with that brings the weight of expectancy.

It looks like there are two different questions being asked here, with an answer to the first being used to answer the second very different question.

The first question is overall are we happy with eight points from the first four games played? Yes, absolutely. Looking at the first four, I thought there were on paper at least two teams I expect to be in the top six at the end (might not work out that way), and I would have bitten your arm off for the kind of start we have made.

The second (unrelated) question, is are we happy with the way, yesterday, in isolation, went. For the first time, we were really second best for pretty much the whole of the second half, and the consensus seems to be we were on balance lucky to get the point. Now, it is fair to say in a game in which we were under the cosh, Cotts did find a way to dig out a point. Equally, it feels like one of those games in the last third of last season we would have found a way to have got a win. Its not so much the draw in itself, but that we were pretty much outplayed by Rochdale for 45 minutes.

Is there anything that Cotts could have done to change the way the game was going? What effect subs would have made can only be speculation, but it was clear that he did not believe any changes he could have made would have improved the situation. That in itself seems a little worrying.

It seems that Rochdale were playing a very high line. The one thing JET could do last year was make a half yard and pick out a pass to Sammy. Remember all those one on ones? Not a sniff really of any of those this year. What is Cotts seeing that he simply does not trust JET, even for 20 minutes, to make a contribution? Maybe when things were starting to turn (as many on the match thread called before they scored) he could have been brave, gone against the general view, and gone one up front, and tried to exercise more control on the game in midfield?

He may have done exactly the right thing, but one of the traits of an excellent manager is that they are able to see when a game is changing, and make changes that in themselves affect the game. He does seem very conservative on that side at the moment.

Should not forget this is a side that has made a fair number of changes, and in all of this, we are looking through a City prism. We really should acknowledge as well how well Rochdale played in the second half as well. The first team really this year to make us look second best for an extended period.

Much has also been made of our attacking potency compared to last year. It is worth pointing out so far we have scored five compared to nine this time last year. The difference is we have conceeded three compared to eleven. The key difference which gets overlooked with all the talk of strikers is how much more solid we are through midfield and defence.  

So. Overall start? A-. How we did yesterday? C-.

No need for anything approaching panic, or even despair, but a few question marks from yesterday in my mind which are better being put in to the debate as to how we are doing after ten games, rather than four.

An excellent post and expresses in greater detail how I felt about yesterday. I would however also say that I think the trend is going in the wrong direction.

Sheff Utd. - wonderful result against a top team away. One which most of us were only dreaming of

Colchester; - went one down against one of the league's poorer teams but fought back with spirit to win

Orient; - should have been one up at half time if not 2 via a penalty. Team faded in 2nd half no subs, settled for draw

Rochdale; - deservedly one up half time, went to pieces 2nd half, no drive, no initiative from players or manager, lucky to get a draw in the end, thanks to FF saving well in extra time.

A worrying trend that I would like to see reversed at Notts Co. next week.

One loss in the last 17 league games..

34 points.

2 points per game average.

Couldn't give a toss about one off poor performances, they will happen as we aint Man.City.

Frustrating at times but good enough for me.

No point posting a factual and rational post on here. You ought to know that, you've been around long enough.

One loss in the last 17 league games..

34 points.

2 points per game average.

Couldn't give a toss about one off poor performances, they will happen as we aint Man.City.

Frustrating at times but good enough for me.

Even Man. City don't play like they can every match .

It's not about now but later where it counts.If we keep picking up points when playing badly or just being patchy in our game it does n't matter.

We just need to do enough to stay near the top up until Xmas then we will see who the genuine promotion contenders are .

We may have to go all out after then but for now play it safe where necessary get the points on the board ,let the new lads bed in.

Archived