IGNORED

'rochdale Fighter Boy' They Were Singing About?

City vs Rovers

I respect your point of view RR - however as I understand it.....

Rochdale took the time and effort to make contact and suggest a meeting.

They bottled it.

If such meeting had occurred, nobody but the parties involved would have been harmed in any way. Nobody else would have known until after the event.

As is the case 95% of the time.

Condemn it all you like, but it has been happening for the last 100 years and will continue for the next 100.

Wether you like it or not, 'Youth' firms are exploding in numbers at just about every club - both Bristol ones included.

A few points here.

To even suggest or compare that what is an illegal organised brawl to a "meeting" is laughable. Normal law abiding people attend meetings.

Nobody but the parties involved would have been harmed- what about the innocent bystander in the street or the copper hurt by some moron whilst carrying out his duties. Or maybe the pub landlord whose livelihood is threatened by his establishment being used as a battle ground by some "lads"

No one would know about it until after the event- oh yes we would definitely know about it alright. We would never hear the end of it. I've been to bubble matches where we are all tarred with the same brush as the hooligan. We all know the police, local government and parliament need very little excuse to place sanctions on and lay down strict laws on the majority of the real fans who have had it ruined by the small minority of thugs who claim to be fans.

95% of the time- you made this up didn't you? Nevertheless if it is a real statistic hey well done you "lads" for keeping it amongst yourselves. It's the other 5% of the time I'm worried about.

100 years of football violence. I admit I don't know if it goes back that far but I doubt it. I would concede the point if you were able to direct me to evidence stating such. I will not accept the Christmas truce game during the Great War as an example of football violence.

Lastly I wish the "youth firms" you speak of would explode in numbers. Just nowhere near me or the rest of us proper fans.

Many fans complain about how sanitised following your team has become. Yes I miss the good old days of huge crowds, standing, electric atmospheres and all the good stuff of yesteryear. Some will argue this is gone because of football violence. Maybe, maybe not but it sure as hell hasn't helped. As I have stated previously it doesn't take the powers that be much of an excuse to legislate football matches.

There is a reason the games v milwall, Leeds, rovers etc generally have a better atmosphere in the ground.

That atmosphere is quality, I'm not a 'lad' as such as go with my own lot in a small group but tell me you don't like it!

I think it's embarrassing quite simply. Thinking you're hard because you wear a stone island jacket or call yourself a football hooligan or claim to be part of a firm.

Watching that 'football hooligan and proud' documentary was one of the most cringeworthy things I've watched. Football 'hooliganism' brings a bad name to football and achieves nothing. One could argue that this is why football has become more sanitized as huge amounts of police and the like are required just to control the danger of violence. Don't get me wrong, I love a good atmosphere however I don't understand the hooliganism element of the game. 

For the normal fan I think the vast majority would rather these people were somewhere else and didn't bother putting other people at risk by fighting within the vicinity of a football match.

Just my personal opinion.

It is also indirectly responsible for the deaths of many innocent people.

Had the fences not been up, then nobody would have died at Hillsborough, police screwup or not. Had the attitudes and behaviours not become ingrained in the British game, Heysel would not have happened.

These people should be ashamed of themselves for continuing such actions.

• Admin

It is also indirectly responsible for the deaths of many innocent people.

Had the fences not been up, then nobody would have died at Hillsborough, police screwup or not. Had the attitudes and behaviours not become ingrained in the British game, Heysel would not have happened.

These people should be ashamed of themselves for continuing such actions.

Up to this reply, you were actually writing "some" sense - but this is a real corker!!

There is a reason the games v milwall, Leeds, rovers etc generally have a better atmosphere in the ground.

That atmosphere is quality, I'm not a 'lad' as such as go with my own lot in a small group but tell me you don't like it!

Totally agree - atmosphere is 10x better. Rather have those type of games every week than play the likes of Colchester or Crawley atmosphere wise

I go to games and sing until my throat can't take no more

Whether that's Crawley or Rovers

Doesn't mean I want to fight other fans

I go and support my team. It's easy to go for the football and supporting your team instead of getting ejected during the game or having to spend a couple of nights in prison for smashing up a pub.

Seems a waste of money to try and look 'ard in front of your friends

I go to games and sing until my throat can't take no more

Whether that's Crawley or Rovers

Doesn't mean I want to fight other fans

I go and support my team. It's easy to go for the football and supporting your team instead of getting ejected during the game or having to spend a couple of nights in prison for smashing up a pub.

Seems a waste of money to try and look 'ard in front of your friends

Ok good - but it's not like that for all other fans. The point being made is that games with a bit of an edge have a better atmosphere most of the time. Most fans don't make as much effort for a team we have no rivalry with.

Ok good - but it's not like that for all other fans. The point being made is that games with a bit of an edge have a better atmosphere most of the time. Most fans don't make as much effort for a team we have no rivalry with.

But the edge can come from the pitch.

Some of the games against Palace have had great atmospheres recently, because of their importance and because of events on the pitch.

In our "survival season", games against Coventry and Barnsley had great atmospheres.

The fans can get noisy because of a crunching tackle on the pitch, an exciting game or a meaningful game. This can happen against anyone and I, like many others I'm sure, don't shout louder just because some people are planning to have a dust-up later on.

I think the word we all like here "lads" is "Aggro"? I've been to many games down the years where it has been awful, an example of this losing 5-1 to reading at Home? anyone remember this one? Cisse scored a banger against us. We were being embarrassed on the pitch and the reading fans were getting a little mouthy, so in true fans Bristol City style we defended our clubs honour by throwing insults at them and songs, we were the loudest in the eastend, still showing our support, through the bad. This made the game a lot more enjoyable for everyone as the football was shocking.

Now without these people in the ground, the people everyone is branding as "thugs" the ground would be silent FACT. I'm not condoning the outside actions of fans in the way of fighting etc, but inside they are brilliant. Without them the atmosphere would perish. The only time you see every stand at the Gate singing as one is a Bristol Derby. And above all i feel if you sing your heart out for the lads on any match day your a "real fan".   

***Just to clarify, i do not get involved with the green street antics. :thumbsup: 

But the edge can come from the pitch.

Some of the games against Palace have had great atmospheres recently, because of their importance and because of events on the pitch.

In our "survival season", games against Coventry and Barnsley had great atmospheres.

The fans can get noisy because of a crunching tackle on the pitch, an exciting game or a meaningful game. This can happen against anyone and I, like many others I'm sure, don't shout louder just because some people are planning to have a dust-up later on.

True - success, circumstances of game and all manner of things can influence atmosphere. Playing a team like Cardiff, rovers, Leeds etc also contribute for a different reason. Playing mediocre football, as we have for last couple of years before sc doesn't help.

A few points here.

To even suggest or compare that what is an illegal organised brawl to a "meeting" is laughable. Normal law abiding people attend meetings.

Nobody but the parties involved would have been harmed- what about the innocent bystander in the street or the copper hurt by some moron whilst carrying out his duties. Or maybe the pub landlord whose livelihood is threatened by his establishment being used as a battle ground by some "lads"

No one would know about it until after the event- oh yes we would definitely know about it alright. We would never hear the end of it. I've been to bubble matches where we are all tarred with the same brush as the hooligan. We all know the police, local government and parliament need very little excuse to place sanctions on and lay down strict laws on the majority of the real fans who have had it ruined by the small minority of thugs who claim to be fans.

95% of the time- you made this up didn't you? Nevertheless if it is a real statistic hey well done you "lads" for keeping it amongst yourselves. It's the other 5% of the time I'm worried about.

100 years of football violence. I admit I don't know if it goes back that far but I doubt it. I would concede the point if you were able to direct me to evidence stating such. I will not accept the Christmas truce game during the Great War as an example of football violence.

Lastly I wish the "youth firms" you speak of would explode in numbers. Just nowhere near me or the rest of us proper fans.

Many fans complain about how sanitised following your team has become. Yes I miss the good old days of huge crowds, standing, electric atmospheres and all the good stuff of yesteryear. Some will argue this is gone because of football violence. Maybe, maybe not but it sure as hell hasn't helped. As I have stated previously it doesn't take the powers that be much of an excuse to legislate football matches.

I always thought, that the oringinal game of football, was two villages, kicking the s**t out of each, whilst chasing a pigs skin. Is this not in the history of football.

i honestly didnt beleive that fans did actually phone each other and ask if the fancy a fight

but to be honest if two like minded groups want to and its out the way of the ground let them carry on

been to plenty of city games against millwall ,cardiff ,rovers and never felt threatend by violence if you want trouble you can find it if you want to stay away you can 

free country and all that

i honestly didnt beleive that fans did actually phone each other and ask if the fancy a fight

but to be honest if two like minded groups want to and its out the way of the ground let them carry on

been to plenty of city games against millwall ,cardiff ,rovers and never felt threatend by violence if you want trouble you can find it if you want to stay away you can

free country and all that

Interesting that no one in this country follows the Russian model....set numbers set time set place....but sticks with the vague "come and have a go if you think you are hard enough" approach.

The latter results in wondering the streets generally not meeting each other or hugely uneven numbers meaning one side is always going to avoid contact anyway.

I have heard it explained its all just a big posturing thing to see who "appears" hardest....which really depends on the relative sizes of the groups involved.

Interesting that no one in this country follows the Russian model....set numbers set time set place....but sticks with the vague "come and have a go if you think you are hard enough" approach.

The latter results in wondering the streets generally not meeting each other or hugely uneven numbers meaning one side is always going to avoid contact anyway.

I have heard it explained its all just a big posturing thing to see who "appears" hardest....which really depends on the relative sizes of the groups involved.

How utterly pointless and sad.

Archived