IGNORED

Mk Fans (Merged)

Ash the Bash

Hi guys

Firstly, I've been reading this forum religiously for about two years now without posting anything. Always a great read but clearly I'm a bit intimindated by some members...!

Anyway, watching the entertainment between MK & MU last night I thought... How does a new club like MK manage to build such a large fan base following a very controversial set up? Are the majority of their fans people who didn't properly support a club before MK? Or locals who supported a nearby team but who have since adopted MK as their new 1st or 2nd team? Do many older Wimbledon fans support MK? Surely not?

Does anyone know any MK fans? Be interesting to hear their thoughts - I find the whole thing fascinating!    

I must admit, I wasn't really watching (or listening) that closely, but any other ground in the land would surely have been bellowing out "You're getting sacked in the morning"  getting progressively louder and louder after each goal, but...nothing (that I could hear anyway). Obviously a silly chant, but good banter all the same and a famous night for MK 'fans'.

I noticed that it seemed very quiet in the ground even when then went into the lead.

I suspect that the majority of "MK fans" in the ground last night were either neutrals/ locals going to the game for the occasion or closet United fans.

I think there are very few old dons fans remaining.

Indeed.

I certainly had the impression that although a full ground, not many were there to cheer on the MK Dons as a local/supporter would.

Many were either closet Man U fans, or went more or less to see Man U.

Either way a great spectacle and a great result.

I live in Mk, and knew about 30 who went.

I would say the vast majority went as they could, but at the very best regard Mk as a second team. 95% of us here are immigrants, and in my office, there are about thirty teams supported, including two gasheads. Biggest would be north London sides like Arsenal and Spurs. Would have been a lot who went to watch Man Utd, and cheering on their defeat!

Having said that I have noticed many of their teenage kids do genuinely seem to be becoming Dons fans, rather than that of their parents. Best guess is their real support is 8k or so, and they do not have that historic base that crawls out for big games, but are still supporters of that team.

I would say there are virtually none of the old Wimbledon fans still following them. Why would they? Whatever one thinks of it all, they were pooed on by the authorities, and have done well starting again.

Does show equally how quickly a good quality 30,000 stadium can be put up, when it has all round support. My few times I havebeen there, its an easy scan of the ticket to get in, and very comfy seats!

I think I'm quite a rare breed of football fan who has quite a soft spot for MKDons.  Sure it's difficult to support all the circumstances of their formation, I was living around Wimbledon at the time and their fans then, tiny in number as they were, were quite delusional.  They were on the verge of going broke, which is effectively what happened, and they've since done great to re-build as they have.  In the meantime professional football has been taken to a new town, with a great stadium, and seems to be on the up.

Like I say I can't justify the random relocation of existing cubs at the whim of an owner but, contrary as it is,,something in me admires their spirit, particularly when compared to the victim mentality that was heard so often at Selhurst, The Valley and elsewhere at the Crazy Club waned. 

I think Cityexile has it spot on, I have a mate who lives locally and went with all his family, but he and they are manure fans.

I think about half the "home" support were there as either Manure supporters or just going to watch a "big game". I quess a few will be back as the better football came from the MK Dons.

I think Cityexile has it spot on, I have a mate who lives locally and went with all his family, but he and they are manure fans.

I think about half the "home" support were there as either Manure supporters or just going to watch a "big game". I quess a few will be back as the better football came from the MK Dons.

Agreed, cheers Cityexile 

Makes me appreciate being from Bristol a lot more where, despite there being plenty of glory hunters, the majority of us are city/rovers. On the odd occasion that i meet a man u 'fan' who has quite clearly lived here since birth i can't help but cringe - i just don't know what to say to them!? I've got more time for gasheads if I'm honest 

Moved to North London a couple of months ago so I'll have to check out the Dons fixture this season... sounds like we'll outsing them nicely!! 

Noticed when Van Gaal was signing autographs at full time (which was a bit odd in itself but that's for another thread) just next to the dugouts that all of the people getting him to sign stuff were wearing United shirts or caps.

Certainly more Man Ure supporters than Dongs in MK...

Since they stole a famous Football clubs identity 10 years ago, killing the dreams of many a football fan in the process I was just interested to know where all of these plastic fans have appeared from? What were these middle aged men doing, watching Sunday league football?

Joke of a club in my opinion, let's show em what a real football clubs all about!!

Archived