IGNORED

Exiled Robin : Should We Have Sold Sam Baldock?

The Exiled Robin

Disappointing from a football perspective but from a business point of view makes complete sense.  The club held out for the right offer for a player who evidently wanted to leave and was out of contract at the end of the season, and took proactive steps to recruit a replacement in the meantime.

People need to accept that at a club like ours that there will forever be a need to balance the requirements of the team with the requirements of the business.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Some of the queries have already been answered on here - any further thoughts now we know a little more about the fees?

Unusual for us to talk fees under SLs leadership, wonder if Cotts went off-party line to make it all look better than it was?

Ill give the bloke something, he sure knows how to do his own PR and turn a position into a positive reflection on him! That's all ok and quite funny when we're doing well, might be less so if we weren't?

Good read. I think you have it spot on. Also think you'll be fine without him: you never know, it may be the catalyst you need to kick on. You had a decent end to last year, some good signings (including strikers) and you might just find that the new guys flourish without having Baldock as the focal point up front.

Burnley last season: sold Charlie Austin, source of 30 odd goals per season. End up getting promoted with the previously overshadowed Ings & Vokes scoring bucketloads.

Agree, we need to be competing with the likes of Brighton f.f.s not selling them our best players. What have they got that's so great

Speaking only of the relative situations our clubs currently find themselves in: you're kidding, right?

1) Championship football

2) A fantastic (yeah, I know, but the novelty still hasn't worn off after years of Gillingham & Withdean) stadium

3) A brand new training ground/academy, opened in June, that's just been ranked the finest in the country by some FA boffins..at least until Man City's astonishing new complex is finished

4) A squad that reached the play offs for the last two seasons, despite not having the benefit of ludicrous parachute payments like so many others these days

I'm not getting into a "my club's bigger than yours" debate, as I've no doubt City could be a very decent sized club indeed, given the right results on the pitch. But if you genuinely can't see why the Albion might appeal to your players right NOW, then I think you need to have a sit down & think about it again.

I do believe we are a weaker side with Baldock gone.

Don't expect too much of Agard, he is going to take time to bed in. Agard will aimlessly run around for the first few games, trying to find where he should be playing.

Optimism and promotion hope dampened.

Agard could on the other hand be an inextant hit - If Assombalonga can move up a division and make an instant impact - Who is to say Agard who has already proved himself in this division won't do the same.

Just making a quick point El-Bad was so highly thought of at Brighton but just does not seem to fit with City. Big chance Sam Baldock may turn out the same way.

El Abd was a popular lad, tried his heart out & improved so much under Poyet from his previous, error-prone days.

The reason he wanted to move in the end though was because we had better defenders in Gordon Greer & Matt Upson, & coming through the system, the likes of Lewis Dunk.

Sad to see it's not worked out for him at City really, as he's the sort who will run through brick walls for you.

Sad to see it's not worked out for him at City really, as he's the sort who will run through brick walls for you.

Too right, and this was a huge and unexpected bonus when it came to demolishing the East End.

:grr:  :grr:  :grr:  :grr:  :grr:  :grr:  :grr:  :grr:  :grr:

Archived