IGNORED

Steve Lansdown

BCFC Jimmer

I'm happy with the way the club is run. I like Steve Landsdowns involvement but I do not want to be solely reliant on him. The club needs to pay for itself where it can. the problem with being reliant on one person is what happens if he decides to walk away, or god forbid drop dead as in the case of Gretna in Scotland. We need to be prudent.

It's hard to politely respond to posts like these but hey ho.

Re investing 5% of his net worth: 1) why should he; 2) How could he with SCMP.

Re selling Baldock you compliment him for running the club as a business but then moan that he has sold him at all. Baldock had to be sold there was no other option. It really is that simple.

As for investment in the playing squad if you look at spending in this league we would undoubtedly be towards the top position if not there outright given outlays on Freeman and Agard. Finally, perhaps wait until the transfer window closes before posting something about his committment to the playing squad. Who knows what move we may make or may be sanctioned.

I'm actually a bit of a detractor of the Lansdowns and whilst I appreciate the cash I think our leadership is very poor. But your post is just filled with inconsistencies and ignorance of the restraints that club benefactors face. Like it or not we cannot buy our way out of this league.

I would suggest, nevertheless, that you reconsider the portion I have highlighted for, to me, this indicates that you perhaps consider Mr Lansdown to be something other than a true supporter.

He was gas though wasn't he?

Tongue in cheek but I'm very confident that it is not incorrect that there is some affiliation between him and NLBR, either as a fan or an attempt to invest in, before he came to BCFC>

Simple answer, you've completely missed the point.

Steve Lansdowns personal wealth is somewhat irrelevant. He's our primary investor but BCFC is very separate from SL the person and is run and should be run as it's own business.

IMO we were right to sell SB as we would have been likely to lose him next summer for nothing. It was a good bit of business. We have a good replacement in Agard.

Tongue in cheek but I'm very confident that it is not incorrect that there is some affiliation between him and NLBR, either as a fan or an attempt to invest in, before he came to BCFC>

I believe he went to Eastville as a child but wasn't a particularly avid supporter of any football team.

He got involved in City when his son Jon became a supporter. I can imagine that, to him, joining the board of the club that his son supported was a little bit like helping out at our childrens scout troop for the rest of us.

I'm not sure that he foresaw quite how things would snowball when he was first joined the board but through the position he ended up in he is now doing all he can not just for City but sport in Bristol in general.

I'm sure he would prefer to leave a legacy of a successful, healthy and thriving football club when he does eventually move on rather than something still reliant on his input and capital.

Pretty much every club in the world (probably the only 2 exceptions being Real Madrid and Barcelona) is a "selling club" when it comes down to it. It's just the way football is, if it wasn't like that we would have never even had the likes of Baldock in the first place.

I'm kind of glad we've sold Baldock and proud that we produced the league's top scorer last year. We'll miss him short term of course but you need players that other teams want to buy. Otherwise all you'll do is rack up millions in debt and slowly go nowhere but down.

Pretty much every club in the world (probably the only 2 exceptions being Real Madrid and Barcelona) is a "selling club" when it comes down to it. It's just the way football is, if it wasn't like that we would have never even had the likes of Baldock in the first place.

I'm kind of glad we've sold Baldock and proud that we produced the league's top scorer last year. We'll miss him short term of course but you need players that other teams want to buy. Otherwise all you'll do is rack up millions in debt and slowly go nowhere but down.

the best thing about it for me is it looks like Wes is going to be given a chance in a central role,

Anyway Lansdown doesn't need his ego stroked, I'm thankful he's at this club and feel we will not be in danger with him as our owner,

He also seems to be learning after the mastakes (high wages journeymen etc) we have had in the past and I'm thankful he has invested in the correct places (The training ground, youth team and ground),

To address a few points raised -

• Financial fair play doesn't prevent us selling our best players.  Also, there are loads of ways around it - Man City have already done it with the Emirates sponsorship deal.
  • A lot of clubs with Chairman less well off than SL spend a lot more money than we do.
  • I still back him 100%. 

• Financial fair play doesn't prevent us selling our best players.  Also, there are loads of ways around it - Man City have already done it with the Emirates sponsorship deal.

For starters we are not subject to FFP we are subject to SCMP. Yes there are still ways and means around it, I've no doubt Bristol Sport is and will be part of that strategy, but why should the club run before it can walk? Once we have the stadium and infrastructure in place you might see the club employ more creative means.

• A lot of clubs with Chairman less well off than SL spend a lot more money than we do.

Indeed, but a lot of clubs go into administration or to the wall because their Chairmen cannot back it up - Pompey, Leeds. Ours could prop us up but again why should he? Far better to build an academy which should deliver the players, build a ground which should generate non-matchday revenue of a reasonable amount, and buy players low and sell high allowing us to go out and buy a better standard without having to rely on a benefactor.

• I still back him 100%. 

Interesting points raised, but does the FFP rules affect what he can put in?

Also not sure we can say that we should be on a par with Brighton? Historically they have always been ahead of us in playing terms

Yes it does, and then the revenue the club makes, hense my grip with selling Baldock for peanuts.

Each to their own, I wouldn't like to see us trying to use loopholes to achieve success. We're capable of doing it under our own steam.

Get his replacement and have money in the pocket, it was a no brainer selling Baldock with just 9 months left on his contract.

That is what we have failed to do spectaculary in the past.

Good shout. Remember when we sold Heffernan because we had Brooker and Lita?

The less said about their replacements the better...

Yes, so I have heard.

Back in the day (1950's) I lived in W-O-T and, as a football supporter, my father was apparently ambivalent, i.e. neither City nor Rovers - please, no cheap jokes.

Born and raised near Bath, he would go one week with his father-in-law to watch Rovers at Eastville; the next week to Ashton Gate with the husband of his new wife's best friend - unfortunately(?), I was only a baby and not allowed to go.  

Perhaps by chance, my first 'live' game was in the mid-1960's: first game of the new season, City at home to Bolton Wanderers - a nice sunny Saturday afternoon, clinging to the railings on the whitewashed wall in the open end (having been helped there by heaven knows how many nice, friendly City and Bolton fans) and Eddie Hopkinson in goal for Bolton: it had been explained to me (but meant nothing at the time) that he was an ex-England goalkeeper.

City won 1-0. I remember huge cheers, waving of scarves (simple red and white knitted ones!) and rattles - does anybody remember them - a fantastic ear-shattering and even eye-watering (at the time) experience.

Whatever: many years later, I remain a City fan.

Get his replacement and have money in the pocket, it was a no brainer selling Baldock with just 9 months left on his contract.

That is what we have failed to do spectaculary in the past.

Exactly, save BCFC didn't have 9 months on the contract as come January SB could have signed a pre-nuptial and we'd have been left with now't (a la Maynard's play.) Recall we're the club where the Chief Executive forgot to buy the stamp to send the letter and hence saw Rosenior's value fall faster than a DotCom IPO.

Archived