IGNORED

Hodgson And Swansea

Jesus

Not sure if it definitely true (just because Garry Monk said so doesn't mean it is).

What is the case is that shit players at "big" clubs such as Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Glen Johnson get picked for England whereas players at unfashionable ones such as Nathaniel Clyne at Soton, Jason Puncheon at Palace and at least a couple of Swansea players that you mentioned do not.

Caulker suddenly got dropped when he was at Cardiff too and he's far better than the 2 Man U clowns.

Not sure if it definitely true (just because Garry Monk said so doesn't mean it is).

What is the case is that shit players at "big" clubs such as Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Glen Johnson get picked for England whereas players at unfashionable ones such as Nathaniel Clyne at Soton, Jason Puncheon at Palace and at least a couple of Swansea players that you mentioned do not.

Caulker suddenly got dropped when he was at Cardiff too and he's far better than the 2 Man U clowns.

I agree, Callum Chambers is a perfect example, straight in the squad now he's signed for Arsenal.

Decent young player for sure, but would he have been called up if he was still at Southampton? I'm not convinced.

Don't really think Woy is the man to take (the next) "The New Golden Generation" forward its just like we see at club level a good manager has to inspire and motivate the team  and endear themselves to the fans --- does Woy do this ? I think not or am I just not seeing it.

Don't really think Woy is the man to take (the next) "The New Golden Generation" forward its just like we see at club level a good manager has to inspire and motivate the team  and endear themselves to the fans --- does Woy do this ? I think not or am I just not seeing it.

There is no "golden generation",

Just like the last lot, who were overrated bluffers.

For instance look at Tottenham's starting XI today, 2 English players in it and they bought one of those from Portugal....

There is no "golden generation",

Just like the last lot, who were overrated bluffers.

For instance look at Tottenham's starting XI today, 2 English players in it and they bought one of those from Portugal....

what new golden generation?

Exactly ...just saying a term what the English media spins out when they want us to watch the next England game on TV or to get people into Wembley .

Delph is a very handy player IMO, Colback is poo though. As for Danny Rose, he's in there because Shaw and Gibbs are injured and there isn't really anyone else, certainly not with a left foot

Does anyone really think that Dyer and Routledge offer anything at international level? I don't doubt there is some big club bias, especially where those teams are in the champions league, but there isn't one English player in the Swansea squad that I would pick for an England cap at the mo

Delphi is starting to live up to his potential and really stepped up last year but still a shocking squad and an established team like England should be hoping for better.

As for Roy not going to the liberty, so what?! He presumably sees Swansea when they play away. Also, how many of their games are on a Saturday lunchtime competing with 6 others as opposed to the lone game on a Monday etc.

Plus he'll have access to footage.

Delphi is starting to live up to his potential and really stepped up last year but still a shocking squad and an established team like England should be hoping for better.

As for Roy not going to the liberty, so what?! He presumably sees Swansea when they play away. Also, how many of their games are on a Saturday lunchtime competing with 6 others as opposed to the lone game on a Monday etc.

Plus he'll have access to footage.

I think Woy mentioned something about 10 or 11 players he would have selected being unavailable so it's hardly surprising it's a poor looking squad

I agree, Callum Chambers is a perfect example, straight in the squad now he's signed for Arsenal.

Decent young player for sure, but would he have been called up if he was still at Southampton? I'm not convinced.

Was goina post the same thing. That call up is a joke tbh. IMO it shows him as clueless, Chambers has had what? 30 appearances all together in the prem. No u21 caps neither.

Also Welbeck. Why is he called up? He doesnt get into the Man U team, and has done nothing of note for a fair while now. Why not Wickham, Gayle or even Ings? Im sure they are just as capable as Welbeck.

Was goina post the same thing. That call up is a joke tbh. IMO it shows him as clueless, Chambers has had what? 30 appearances all together in the prem. No u21 caps neither.

Also Welbeck. Why is he called up? He doesnt get into the Man U team, and has done nothing of note for a fair while now. Why not Wickham, Gayle or even Ings? Im sure they are just as capable as Welbeck.

Welbeck is called up because he's got a very good record in an England shirt and is vital on the left of a front three.

Couldnt agree more. The thing is though this has always been the case. Players like Crouch and Heskey....regulars when at Liverpool, never to be seen again when they went to clubs like Birmingham and Stoke.

English football is an absolute tragedy

I was shocked to hear that Roy Hodgson has never been to the liberty stadium during his time as England manager. Surely Nathan Dyer should be ahead of Delph?

Routledge and even Jonjo Shelvey should be looked at.

Nathan Dyer's a winger whilst Delph is centre mid.  I'd agree that Dyer should be looked at instead of Townsend as he is playing and on form.  Routledge also - hell of a goal on Saturday.

I like Delph - he's similar in style to Wiltshire but has had to work hard to get a call up, whereas Wiltshire has been picked automatically since 18 years of age.  In my memory, we've had our best England sides with players taken from lots of teams, not just a small number.  There now seems to be the mentality amongst those in the squad that you have to be at one the 'big' clubs to be considered good enough for England. It's ridiculous.

Moving onto a related issue, given the relative ease of qualifying for the Euros, I'd like to see the Under 21s given more, if not all, of the players who are eligible for their remaining qualifiers and the European under 21 tournament itself next summer.  Germany and Spain did this with their great sides using the under 21s to gel their best players before moving them into the main side together.  We've got it hopelessly wrong fast tracking kids to the full squad to sit on the bench watching games against Estonia and San Marino when they should be preparing for a tournament against the best of their age group in Europe.  If we did this, we'd surely have an outstanding chance of actually winning the under 21 tournament - here's a list of players who are eligible for the tournament next summer:-

Butland

Chambers

Shaw

Dier

Flanagan

Stones

Jones

Wiltshire

Ward-Prowse

Barkley

Sterling

Redmond

Ince

Kane

Ings

Barahinho

Wickham

You could get an excellent side out of them with plenty on the bench.  In reality about half of them will go.  What a pity.

Archived