IGNORED

Transfer Deadline Day Thread

chivers88

ManUre might be crying out for a centre back, but you don't turn down a loan for Radamel Falcao if it's offered- especially when you've only scored twice in 4 games. As for financial fair play, they turn over tens of millions of pounds a year despite the debt. FFP is supposed to stop clubs spending money they don't have, not money they do

I'm sorry but when you have Blackett, Jones and Evans as your back 3 and only have one clean sheets in four matches a centre back who can command and lead the other two is crucial! The Premier League has amazing attacking talent, if you can't stop that talent you're going to lose a lot of games as United have proven last season and the beginning of this.

Welbeck to Spurs?

Posted at

"It looks set to be a familiarly busy deadline day at White Hart Lane as Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino tries to put the finishing touches to his squad. While there are likely to be a number of outgoings - Lewis Holtby, Sandro and Aaron Lennon the most high-profile candidates - bigger news is a potential incoming, with Manchester United forward Danny Welbeck a definite target. I'm told by one source that discussions between Tottenham, United and the player's representatives took place until 01:00 BST today so that is certainly one to watch as the 23:00 BST deadline looms."

I'm sorry but when you have Blackett, Jones and Evans as your back 3 and only have one clean sheets in four matches a centre back who can command and lead the other two is crucial! The Premier League has amazing attacking talent, if you can't stop that talent you're going to lose a lot of games as United have proven last season and the beginning of this.

This. Liverpool would of won the league last season if they had a decent defence.

And signing Falcao stops them signing a centre back because...? The point is that if a player of that quality is available you don't turn it down

I know it's long gone in this thread but...

I'm sorry but when we were leaking goals like a siv we would have cut off our own arms to get hold of a world class foreign centre back! I think if I were a United fan I'd be crying out for a Centre Back too and wouldn't care less if he was English, Asian, Russian etc 

I understand your argument about developing talent but it doesn't take a genius to see that United's defence is weaker than many of the midtable teams and if they want to compete they need to strengthen it. 

I have a problem with them not wanting to develop the players, there's no "We need an experience centre back for Smalling to learn from" it's "Oh good, we've signed a foreigner, we can get rid of an English player instead of being optimistic about his development which would be good for club & country"

Not necessarily what the club are doing or have planned, it's the fans reaction and it's this that breeds a culture of National fans that won't get behind the team

Former striker on the move?

Rob Dorsett is at Leicester City's training ground and reports the club have received a bid from Premier League rivals Crystal Palacefor striker Chris Wood. It waits to be seen whether Nigel Pearson will be willing to let a striker go given the fact he is in the market for a new frontman himself. 

I agree that at this stage the sponsors will be happy to be associated with a confident, attacking club.  However, Man Utd like any club are ultimately at the end of the day judged by results and even if they continue to sign players for massive sums I think eventually the sponsors and other commercial partners will get fed up with paying Man Utd record sums of money if they continue to fail to qualify for the Champions League.  Considering most people consider that the major frailty with Man Utd is defensively, I am just surprised to see the limited (because money is limited for every club, even Man Utd) being spent on more attacking talent instead of further defenders.   

But they have signed Rojo and Shaw who are both yet to feature for them in the Premier League. Hererra will come in and protect the defence much more and Carrick will also have a role to play this season performing that job.

I think Man Utd's situation is being blown vastly out of proportion. Yes they have looked clueless at the back but that will be because they are. This is a new system to the defenders and team but once they settle it will provide a stable formation - Van Gaal has history of making it work and history shows it takes some time to get the defence settled, but once it is the football is superb.

Phil Jones I think will be the making of the new system and will really grow into it. Rojo is someone Van Gaal sanctioned and he knows better than most the attributes needed for the role he wants so we have no reason to doubt that one. Blind I think is a cracking signing. Then you have Evans who has looked poor, and I don't rate Smalling, which is why I would expect another one in but I don't think Van Gaal will buy for the sake of it. Evans for his frailties is a competent centre half and to improve Van Gaal would need someone used to the system to slot straight in. Otherwise Evans is worth another few months to see if he settles. If not I would expect Matts Hummels in January.

Left back will be settled with Shaw, Rojo or Blind, whoever Van Gaal sees there, and I think Valencia has all the attributes to be a superb wing back, again he just needs to get to grips with what is expected of him.

The Negredo deal shows the impact of FFP. On loan now with an obligation to buy... what's the point? Perhaps Man City are confident of meeting FFP this year but could do with staggered payments over the next few following years to add to their turnover.

But they have signed Rojo and Shaw who are both yet to feature for them in the Premier League. Hererra will come in and protect the defence much more and Carrick will also have a role to play this season performing that job.

I think Man Utd's situation is being blown vastly out of proportion. Yes they have looked clueless at the back but that will be because they are. This is a new system to the defenders and team but once they settle it will provide a stable formation - Van Gaal has history of making it work and history shows it takes some time to get the defence settled, but once it is the football is superb.

Phil Jones I think will be the making of the new system and will really grow into it. Rojo is someone Van Gaal sanctioned and he knows better than most the attributes needed for the role he wants so we have no reason to doubt that one. Blind I think is a cracking signing. Then you have Evans who has looked poor, and I don't rate Smalling, which is why I would expect another one in but I don't think Van Gaal will buy for the sake of it. Evans for his frailties is a competent centre half and to improve Van Gaal would need someone used to the system to slot straight in. Otherwise Evans is worth another few months to see if he settles. If not I would expect Matts Hummels in January.

Left back will be settled with Shaw, Rojo or Blind, whoever Van Gaal sees there, and I think Valencia has all the attributes to be a superb wing back, again he just needs to get to grips with what is expected of him.

The Negredo deal shows the impact of FFP. On loan now with an obligation to buy... what's the point? Perhaps Man City are confident of meeting FFP this year but could do with staggered payments over the next few following years to add to their turnover.

The Shaw deal was done before LVG arrived and it's fairly obvious he doesn't rate him.

The Shaw deal was done before LVG arrived and it's fairly obvious he doesn't rate him.

Shaw signed one month after Van Gaal was confirmed as manager and Van Gaal was on record saying he sanctioned that deal. As for obvious he doesn't rate him; to you maybe. His comments about him a few days ago suggest very much so otherwise.

Shaw signed one month after Van Gaal was confirmed as manager and Van Gaal was on record saying he sanctioned that deal. As for obvious he doesn't rate him; to you maybe. His comments about him a few days ago suggest very much so otherwise.

isn't shaw completely unfit and carrying an injury also?

Archived