IGNORED

Calamity James And Mcallister In Kerala

ExiledAjax

Not sure how many already know about this but apparently ex-City players David "Calamity" James and Jamie McAllister are both about to trot out for the newly formed Kerala Blasters FC in the upcoming debut season of the Indian Super League.

James is player/coach and other players in the league include David Trezeguet, Del Piero and Michael Chopra!

It doesn't actually kick off until October and if the Twenty20 is anything to go by it will likely be horribly sponsor heavy and generally crap. However, it's still interesting to see former BCFC players trying to spread the sport to a country that holds 1/5th of the world's population but is dreadful at football.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/kerala-blasters-indian-super-league-david-james/1/380412.html

Anyone else thinking of at least keeping tabs on James' fortunes?

Not sure how many already know about this but apparently ex-City players David "Calamity" James and Jamie McAllister are both about to trot out for the newly formed Kerala Blasters FC in the upcoming debut season of the Indian Super League.

James is player/coach and other players in the league include David Trezeguet, Del Piero and Michael Chopra!

It doesn't actually kick off until October and if the Twenty20 is anything to go by it will likely be horribly sponsor heavy and generally crap. However, it's still interesting to see former BCFC players trying to spread the sport to a country that holds 1/5th of the world's population but is dreadful at football.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/kerala-blasters-indian-super-league-david-james/1/380412.html

Anyone else thinking of at least keeping tabs on James' fortunes?

Read as, "trying to earn cash wherever they possibly can".

It is self-serving and has nothing to do with some sort of philanthropic urge to bring sport to the masses.

I saw a little piece on the local news last week about Jamie Mac going there. He had recently been or a trial in Scotland which his wife wasnt too happy about as she was going to stay down here with their 3 children, he said he had to break it too her that he was going to India instead! So yes in that case I guess it is heavily sponsored and financially rewarding for him!

Cricket I can understand as it is the biggest sport in India but football?

the prem is quite big over there prob and the indians are trying to cash in, much like those who go to the middle east to play, its all about money,

The only true up and coming league for me is the yanks one, it seems to of finally taken off over there

Good for him, got a lot of time for McAllister - very committed player and loves the club. I remember his leaving interview which not many players give. Some of the best times watching City in recent seasons he's been in the team.

Having a career of relatively low (in football terms compared to Del Piero/James) earnings I don't blame him for trying to make as much money as he can before he retires.

I remember in that exit video he talked about wanting to go into management - I would not be surprised at all to see him managing here one day (possibly with LJ).

Of course it's all about making money, as I said it will be horribly sponsored - but can you say anything different about the top European leagues?

Good for him, got a lot of time for McAllister - very committed player and loves the club. I remember his leaving interview which not many players give. Some of the best times watching City in recent seasons he's been in the team.
Having a career of relatively low (in football terms compared to Del Piero/James) earnings I don't blame him for trying to make as much money as he can before he retires.

I remember in that exit video he talked about wanting to go into management - I would not be surprised at all to see him managing here one day (possibly with LJ).

I agree that you cannot blame anyone, footballer or otherwise, for trying to earn as much as they can in order to live the life they want.  If the opportunity arises then why not head to India for 8 weeks and a hefty paycheck.

How does this Indian Super League impact the existing I-League?

Having watched a lot of games, the standard is actually very good. You'd be surprised.

This is a brief article comparing the ISL with the I-League - http://thefootballmind.com/news/indian-super-league-vs-i-league and another with a few more stats http://blog.fieldoo.com/2014/08/indian-i-league-indian-super-league-review/

Basic differences are the franchise system v promotion/relegation and the auction v free market transfers and development squads.  I think it is a shame that it is the franchise model that is being used to 'promote' football and I would worry that it might crush the I-League through sheer weight of exposure, however, given that the ISL is a short sharp tournament whose season won't clash with the I-League it may be that the two are able to function in parallel. 

Overall I'd say it's in the interest of all to see football grow in such a big country, but I think I would rather it do so organically with a traditional promotion/relegation system rather than through a forced, sponsored and heavily promoted franchise system.  Having said all this I wish James and McAllister all the best.

Still on the site, if you have a player log in you can watch it here: http://www.player.bcfc.co.uk/latest-news/article/2756934/date/20120502101000/page/0/name/jamie-mcallister-video-exclusive

Trevor Morgan Ex-Bristol City striker (1987) a big hit in India, http://www.football365.com/f365-features/9328729/Brit-Coach-Abroad-Trevor-Morgan is also a coach at Kerala Blasters FC with James & Mcallister.

Our very own Dave Lloyd used Trevor Morgan's name as is a fictional character from the BBC soap EastEnders when he was a writer there,

Cricket I can understand as it is the biggest sport in India but football?

Football is bigger in Goa, which is the one part of India that is Portuguese, and where my dad was originally from.

You still see kids there in Portugal shirts. Zico is FC Goa's manager, Roberto Pires (Portuguese bloke who played for France and Arsenal) is playing for them, and they've been trying to sign Ronaldinho. 

There was already a well established league there in Goa at least before this "super league" - a club called Churchill Brothers has always been best in Goa. Most of the clubs are named after local factories.

125px-FC_Goa_Logo.svg.png

Next year's pre-season tour - BCFC in India!

Haha, would be interesting. Would genuinely like to see us tour the south of Spain. Andalucia is very hot in the summer so would be exhausting fitness training. Tinnion and the Spanish under 18s coach were both based there so would have contacts to arrange this. Lots of teams there, big and small. Games vs Granada, Malaga if poss, Cordoba, Betis and Almeria could be arranged if we get in there early enough. Real test on pre season and an excellent easy place for fans to get to, great part of the world too.

Archived