IGNORED

The Depressing Dominance Of The Premier League.

ChippenhamRed

I dont like Bath Rugby, but from where I come from the fans are everywhere, it surprises me how much really for a Rugby team

It's a bit like the rugby equivalent of Man U except with more wax jackets and toffs. It's not that surprising when you know more of their history, horrible club.

Preach the righteous Bristol love, or maybe not as we don't need people like that. :-P

As a Gloucester boy and GRFC fan i dispute well supported!

That's the thing I love about rugby, it's not a choice, it's a birthright. I'm a Gloucester boy too, Stevey!

I dont like Bath Rugby, but from where I come from the fans are everywhere, it surprises me how much really for a Rugby team

l

Why would you be surprised? We are in rugby country, after all. Gloucester shirts everywhere in Gloucestershire, see far more rugby shirts, thankfully more Gloucester!, than football shirts put together in Gloucester and the outlying areas

Perhaps it's unwise to blame the children, or the parents of the children.

If you go into any high street sports shop in any city in the country, the only shirts on sale would be the top Prem teams.

If you want lower league clubs, you would need to actually go to the club shop and get your shirt.

Anybody know of any sports shops in Bristol that sell City or Gas shirts?

Perhaps the lower league teams need to promote their merchandise a bit more agressively and allow local traders to carry their stock?

If you go into any high street sports shop in any city in the country, the only shirts on sale would be the top Prem teams.

If you want lower league clubs, you would need to actually go to the club shop and get your shirt.

Perhaps the lower league teams need to promote their merchandise a bit more agressively and allow local traders to carry their stock?

It honestly amazes me that they don't. At least the Sags had a shop on the Glos Road.

This was mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm still waiting for someone to give me a reason why City shirts are not available in the likes of Sport Direct!

This was mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm still waiting for someone to give me a reason why City shirts are not available in the likes of Sport Direct!

I would imagine that the reason they are not in high street stores like Sports Direct are because either:

• The club won't allow a wide enough margin to make it worthwhile
  • They do not feel that local club merchandise would be a big seller because of the popularity of the Premier League
  • The club refuses to license their sale to a 3rd party in general

SInce money is always the bottom line in retail merchandise, I am sure that it is one, both, or all three of these reasons.

And since the majority of children only ever watch football on tv, they are primarily going to be attract to the teams they see most on the box.

What about a moving shop on like a van

Yeah, have it like a Santa's float, with flashing red lights blasting out Drink up thy Zider and One for the Bristol City driven by Scrumpy or JET or someone, even get Jon L to man it. No innovation this club.

Do a late night trade on Natch at the same time.

I think it was mentioned a few years ago that club only sells shirts for they keep the money. If sports direct sold them the club gets nothing, maybe differant now for we make our own. I think for volume sold club just want to keep all the money they can.

Personally I think the club should bite the bullet and sell some via 3rd parties, how are they going to spread the name if only one place sells the shirt.

I think it was mentioned a few years ago that club only sells shirts for they keep the money. If sports direct sold them the club gets nothing, maybe differant now for we make our own. I think for volume sold club just want to keep all the money they can.

Personally I think the club should bite the bullet and sell some via 3rd parties, how are they going to spread the name if only one place sells the shirt.

Not sure that can be true. The badge, the design etc is all copyrighted, as at all clubs.

Don't know if this has been mentioned already on this thread can't be bothered to check, but I read earlier this week that Cardiff earned twice as much as Bayern Munich from domestic TV last season, which is ******* ridiculous.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/26/cardiff-city-earned-more-than-double-bayern-munich-in-domestic-tv-rights-last-season-europes-top-earners-revealed-4882336/

Quite. I think the founders of the Premier League, Rupert Murdoch and the marketing people have already thought it through.

The crude, capitalist, society we live in is a perfect breeding ground for such a masterstroke.

But for a few grumbles (as you've demonstrated) the people are content and continue to feed the dog. It has now gone global.

George Orwell would have loved writing social commentary on this, as it's so easy.

Inspire revolution or shut up, I say. It sucks!

Thing is there won't be a revolution, the clubs like Chelsea, Man city etc are gaining from this and they hold the biggest numbers. For any revolution it would require people not watching Sky Sports and so on but that just isn't going to happen because of ticket cost. The only way to drive people away from buying Sky Sports is to get people going to watch clubs at their grounds but that would mean cheaper tickets which smaller clubs probably rely on. So the big clubs won't miss those ticket profits as they don't rely on them but the smaller clubs would.

I am on your side, I don't have sky sports, but how exactly can you have a revolution when the majority are happy not to?

Thing is there won't be a revolution, the clubs like Chelsea, Man city etc are gaining from this and they hold the biggest numbers. For any revolution it would require people not watching Sky Sports and so on but that just isn't going to happen because of ticket cost. The only way to drive people away from buying Sky Sports is to get people going to watch clubs at their grounds but that would mean cheaper tickets which smaller clubs probably rely on. So the big clubs won't miss those ticket profits as they don't rely on them but the smaller clubs would.

I am on your side, I don't have sky sports, but how exactly can you have a revolution when the majority are happy not to?

Seems like it's a catch 22 situation.

Average prices in league 2 are twenty odd quid and if the clubs charged less they would have less income. Don't know if it's on this thread or another where we spoke about the economists advising on the balance between ticket price and bums on seats.

Smaller clubs have to do everything they can just to tread water, financially. I suspect the advice generally is that at a club like Shrewsbury, for example, fans will turn up or not anyway so keep it in-line with the market. I know Bradford City work by a philosophy whereby charging well below average for season tickets they were getting five figured attendances for league 2 football. But that is rare and Bradford has a larger catchment area to pull from than, for example, Lincoln.

Steve Lansdown, bless him, has underwritten tens of millions of pounds of debt just to keep the good ship City afloat. And that's charging what we do.

As a football fan, I'd rather see all grounds sold out every week with local people.

The pressure valve has been tightened right throughout the game due to the business exploitation from the top.

To the people that have moved away from Bristol and settled elsewhere, I remember Noel Gallagher chatting to Russell Brand on his radio show about his son being an Arsenal fan. Russell replied that that is crazy and he should be making him support Man City. Noel replied that his son was born in London and will grew up in London so why make him support a team he will never get to watch just because that's who he supports. I think if I moved away and it seemed very much a permanent moved then any kids that came along would have to support the local team and not follow my footsteps. Thinking about it, this has happened to a guy I used to play footy with. He's a city fan, joined the forces, settled down with a bird from leeds and they've had a boy who he takes to leeds games. At first I thought it was weird when I saw his pictures on Facebook but when you think about it, it's the lo**** thing to do.

Archived