IGNORED

Second Half Tempo

Cap flinger

The first half I thought we were fantastic and really went at them. The second half started extremely flat with no real pressure being put on the ball and no attacking purpose, this gifted MK the possession and next thing it's 2-2.

Did SC ask them to shut up shop from the start of the second half, sit deeper and soak up the pressure?

It couldn't have been fitness as they just had a 15 minute break but there was a definite change in playing style.

Any thoughts?

The first half I thought we were fantastic and really went at them. The second half started extremely flat with no real pressure being put on the ball and no attacking purpose, this gifted MK the possession and next thing it's 2-2.

Did SC ask them to shut up shop from the start of the second half, sit deeper and soak up the pressure?

It couldn't have been fitness as they just had a 15 minute break but there was a definite change in playing style.

Any thoughts?

Yes read his post match interview your answer is there, link below.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/20140927-cotterillpostmkdons-1972590.aspx

Any thoughts?

Interesting observation...

I also noticed that when the players came out second half that they looked very flat, lethargic and not fired up.

I actually turned to the bloke next to me and said they don't look focussed and fired up.

I don't know why...but we just never got going second half. We looked totally different.

Due to not being able to buy my normal ticket, I ended up in a seat about 10 yards away from SC.

It was interesting to hear a lot, and observe every mannerism and reactions of the manager.

He was getting a lot of stick from some fans around him. Shouts of 'Change it Steve'....'remember Fleetwood. it's just like that'....

That last statement got the biggest reaction from him...he looked very annoyed and very deep in thought. Pembo was suggesting change but SC seemed to be having none of it. It wasn't long after the 'fleetwood' comment, that Elliot capitalised on the mistake from their defender and scored. SC's reaction was too turn on his heel and look straight at the fan who shouted it and raised his fist in celebration at him.

To be fair to the fan...he shouted back...'You just got lucky Steve'...to which Steve smirked.

Tbh...I think we got lucky yesterday. We deserved a win on commitment...It could quiet easily ended in a draw and I think the atmosphere on this forum would have been a little different this morning.

Personally I would have liked to have seen SC change things to counter act Don's full out attack approach. He seemed very reticent. In fact the whole second half he looked like a man very deep in thought, as to what to do.

Fortunately we had a bit of luck...to which he mentioned.

I've got a feeling he is a 'lucky manager'. Lets hope so.

It could have been totally different on another day.

Hope our luck and commitment and periods of good play continue...but that's two matches on the trot now where we have conceded two goal leads...slightly concerning. But not overly if we keep winning. COYR's...

I also noticed that when the players came out second half that they looked very flat, lethargic and not fired up.

I actually turned to the bloke next to me and said they don't look focussed and fired up.

I don't know why...but we just never got going second half. We looked totally different.

Due to not being able to buy my normal ticket, I ended up in a seat about 10 yards away from SC.

It was interesting to hear a lot, and observe every mannerism and reactions of the manager.

He was getting a lot of stick from some fans around him. Shouts of 'Change it Steve'....'remember Fleetwood. it's just like that'....

That last statement got the biggest reaction from him...he looked very annoyed and very deep in thought. Pembo was suggesting change but SC seemed to be having none of it. It wasn't long after the 'fleetwood' comment, that Elliot capitalised on the mistake from their defender and scored. SC's reaction was too turn on his heel and look straight at the fan who shouted it and raised his fist in celebration at him.

To be fair to the fan...he shouted back...'You just got lucky Steve'...to which Steve smirked.

Tbh...I think we got lucky yesterday. We deserved a win on commitment...It could quiet easily ended in a draw and I think the atmosphere on this forum would have been a little different this morning.

Personally I would have liked to have seen SC change things to counter act Don's full out attack approach. He seemed very reticent. In fact the whole second half he looked like a man very deep in thought, as to what to do.

Hope our luck and commitment and periods of good play continue...but that's two matches on the trot now where we have conceded two goal leads...slightly concerning. But not overly if we keep winning. COYR's...

I agree let's hope he is a lucky manager, it makes a great change from just being plain inept like the last 4.

And this is why I despair with some of our fans, they are clueless. Its all well and good saying stuff like that but just let the man do his job. The fact is MK Dons are a very good side, probably the best we will come up against this season (unless we go on a cup run) and I fully expect them to get promoted. Their midfield in that second half was just better than ours, and they play the diamond formation which is very difficult to control because there is a lot of interchanging of positions. They used the whole width of the pitch and they tired us out, recycling the ball very well. We aren't always going to have it our own way this season so just enjoy it while it lasts, I honestly don't understand why some people turn up in order to be negative when surely they can see the difference a positive atmosphere makes to the place.

people are forgetting that this was also a MK side that taught a footballing lession to Man United not so long ago,

we were flat in the second half because they put us under pressure, we would of won 2-1 had elliot not made that mastake and then went on to make up for it,

I'd rather have a lucky manager then a shit one like the last

and you certainly can't rely on ineptness.

And I'm sure there will come a time when City fans will be calling for the head of SC, in the same way of GJ.

As SC said recently in an interview...a lot of it is down to circumstance at a Club, finances available, injuries and luck...which I agree with to a degree.

To a degree we've ridden our luck the last two games. We can't just rely on that.

Greater tests are still to come...looking lime a great season ahead.

And I'm sure there will come a time when City fans will be calling for the head of SC, in the same way of GJ.

As SC said recently in an interview...a lot of it is down to circumstance at a Club, finances available, injuries and luck...which I agree with to a degree.

To a degree we've ridden our luck the last two games. We can't just rely on that.

Greater tests are still to come...looking lime a great season ahead.

Jesus mate, your first sentence is stating the bleeding obvious, pretty much every single manager in the professional game will fall into that category, but thank's for the insight.

7 wins out of 10, it took us 34 games to win 7 games last season.

The fans are so fickle. SC was god at half time. At 2-2 he didn't have a clue and needed to change things FFS (fans comment behind me, not mine) Wade Elliott was then a c??t and shouldn't play again..............then just one minute later "we love you Steve we do" and Elliott was Man of the match !! All from a bloke behind me in the Dolman. Just wait and see, if City lose a couple on the bounce it will be back to calls for the sack and we need to spend money. I just wish some people would see the full picture and take the highs with the lows.

The fans are so fickle. SC was god at half time. At 2-2 he didn't have a clue and needed to change things FFS (fans comment behind me, not mine) Wade Elliott was then a c??t and shouldn't play again..............then just one minute later "we love you Steve we do" and Elliott was Man of the match !! All from a bloke behind me in the Dolman. Just wait and see, if City lose a couple on the bounce it will be back to calls for the sack and we need to spend money. I just wish some people would see the full picture and take the highs with the lows.

You've taken the words right out of my mouth... I was embarrassed at the comments coming from some fans around me yesterday. They knew **** all about football. One minute SC was God...the next he was a**** and so was every City player on the field...then when Elliott scored the winner...everyone was God again. Asking one minute for SC to wave and that 'he is our king'...then next minute he was 'Clueless and a****'...embarrassed to be associated with such ***** tbh.

You've taken the words right out of my mouth... I was embarrassed at the comments coming from some fans around me yesterday. They knew **** all about football. One minute SC was God...the next he was a **** and so was every City player on the field...then when Elliott scored the winner...everyone was God again. Asking one minute for SC to wave and that 'he is our king'...then next minute he was 'Clueless and a ****'...embarrassed to be associated with such ***** tbh.

Welcome to the fickleness of fans pal ;)

I am sure the same fans who applaud SC now (and rightfully so) will be the same fans who will call for him to be sacked once results don't meet up to expectations... that is the nature of the beast.

That's all fine because its expected but what shouldn't be tolerated is personal abuse to a manager... Millen and McInnes both received OTT abuse due to results being poor. Criticise the manager, selectons and tactics not the person he is.

I am sure the same fans who applaud SC now (and rightfully so) will be the same fans who will call for him to be sacked once results don't meet up to expectations... that is the nature of the beast.

That's all fine because its expected but what shouldn't be tolerated is personal abuse to a manager... Millen and McInnes both received OTT abuse due to results being poor. Criticise the manager, selectons and tactics not the person he is.

Some people can't help themselves though. I mean, one was even critcising his accent at his very first press conference....

I've been around football long enough to know, that it is followed by many a 'Mike Bassett' type, fuelled by Alcohol... shouting and chanting bollox. You have to feel for many managers listening to the crap some shout.

It's extreme to both ends of the spectrum.

From my own perspective I would have liked to see SC change things yesterday. We were lucky in the second half.

Why the players decided to sit back again and allow a team to come at them...God only knows...as SC doesn't know why, as he said so in his post mortem. It obviously wasn't his tactics... that's why I think Pembo was getting in his ear so much. He looked like a rabbit in head lights for moments in the second half yesterday.

It was interesting to hear a lot, and observe every mannerism and reactions of the manager.

Lucky manager? Sorry I don't agree with that.

All four previous managers, were backed by Lansdown to bring in quality and failed. Cotts has done a wonderful job so far, brought in real quality for nothing! After Sam's departure for 1.7 million.

Perhaps maybe, just maybe Steve Cotterill is a good football manager?

Lucky manager? Sorry I don't agree with that.

All four previous managers, were backed by Lansdown to bring in quality and failed. Cotts has done a wonderful job so far, brought in real quality for nothing! After Sam's departure for 1.7 million.

Perhaps maybe, just maybe Steve Cotterill is a good football manager?

I was referring to yesterdays second half tactics and the same at Fleetwood...nothing more.

Good work Spudski, we were indeed lucky 2nd half yesterday. In fact, Lady Luck has been with us all season so far, which is very different to saying we have been lucky. The ball falling at our feet is happening (eg Little's header landing for Agard yesterday, Agard's making its way through Nathan Pond last week) where last season the ball would've landed just 'so', behind or in front of an incoming player (if we were fortunate enough to have had one in the box).

I'm not sure I believe in 'you make your own luck' - last week we had no control over Agard's header squirming through Pond for Wilbraham to finish and at 2-1 and their Big Lad sent on, who knows? We could have just as easily lost 2-3. You make your own luck in terms of 'wanting' things more and 'making things happen' by getting stuck in, driving forward etc and that we have in spades this season, for the first time in a while, allied to some excellent players and play.

Cotts seems to have something intangible about him, something that the players latch on to (lucky gold chain? Good use of hair gel? Whiff of Brut?). Whatever it is, poor old Sod didnae have it.

But his subs have to be a bit better, if we are to improve a little more: JET is not the right sub to bring on when you want five mins non-stop commitment (tactically he could hold the ball up, yes, like no other in fact; but practically he doesn't do that) - Wes Burns could've put MK on the back foot with ten to go. Cotts' subs seem to always happen after the opposition have done theirs, almost as if he wants to see what they do first. A minor gripe.

Anyhow, some thoughts in a Natch Report: http://thenatchwall.wordpress.com/

I was referring to yesterdays second half tactics and the same at Fleetwood...nothing more.

You say tactics?, yet SC's post match interview suggest's differently, suggesting that he was disappointed with the way the team played in the 2nd half, implying that they did not carry out his tactics, of course it could be that MK Dons found another gear and were just plain better than us in the 2nd half? or perhaps he's lying and they were his 2nd half tactics?.

You say tactics?, yet SC's post match interview suggest's differently, suggesting that he was disappointed with the way the team played in the 2nd half, implying that they did not carry out his tactics, of course it could be that MK Dons found another gear and were just plain better than us in the 2nd half? or perhaps he's lying and they were his 2nd half tactics?.

He said he couldn't understand why his team didn't play the same as they had in the first half.

MK Dons went full out attack and pushed high.

We sat back and let them come at us.

My post is referring to why SC didn't try to counter act MK Dons change in tactics, when it was obvious that what we were doing wasn't working.

He didn't change anything. Apart from bring Waggy and JET on late.

There was no shout to the players to change anything.

He said he couldn't understand why his team didn't play the same as they had in the first half.

MK Dons went full out attack and pushed high.

We sat back and let them come at us.

My post is referring to why SC didn't try to counter act MK Dons change in tactics, when it was obvious that what we were doing wasn't working.

He didn't change anything. Apart from bring Waggy and JET on late.

There was no shout to the players to change anything.

in that case it sounds like same old, same old then, perhaps the past 5 years is still a blot on the landscape.

The big question is what and how would have SC changed the team personnel and/or formation?

Another attacker like Wes Burns to keep their back four busy. That is if we got hold of the ball and were able to get it in the direction of where Was was at the time.

Or take a striker off and bolster the midfield with an out and out defender like El Abd?

Or take off Freeman and replace with a defensive midfielder?

I don't know the answers. Apart from the guy who is City's manager, who does?

Whoever thinks they do can apply for the next Premier League manager vacancy.

The big question is what and how would have SC changed the team personnel and/or formation?

Another attacker like Wes Burns to keep their back four busy. That is if we got hold of the ball and were able to get it in the direction of where Was was at the time.

Or take a striker off and bolster the midfield with an out and out defender like El Abd?

Or take off Freeman and replace with a defensive midfielder?

I don't know the answers. Apart from the guy who is City's manager, who does?

Whoever thinks they do can apply for the next Premier League manager vacancy.

That's what makes good managers....knowing when to change, and what changes would be effective.

SC could say he got it right yesterday, as we won...but it could quiet easily have been different considering the amount of pressure we were under.

If Dons had played liked that first half, then I'm sure things would have needed to change.

Personally I would have tried to nullify the centre of their midfield which seemed most productive.

Archived