IGNORED

Joe Bryan

fabio

Nobody is born two footed, it comes from quality practice. Many foreign players are generally adept off both feet, it is not genetic quirk they get coached that way.

Mentally some players as kids have a bigger appetite for quality practice than others. Add coaching and yyou have a two footed kid.

Not sure I agree Cowshed. Some people are ambidextrous, that means equal use of both hands and feet, and they are born that way. 

For the rest of us, one side of the brain is dominant and that determines which hand we naturally pick a pen up with or kick a ball with. For 6 years of schooling I had shit handwriting until my mum noticed I was naturally left-handed and stopped the teachers forcing me to write with my right. The six years I wrote with my "wrong" hand didn't make me ambidextrous.

I am not disputing that you can coach someone to become better with his less-favoured foot, but you can't make someone completely two-footed if they weren't born that way. The brain will naturally favour one foot - even if coaching has made you a bit better at using the other one.

Not sure I agree Cowshed. Some people are ambidextrous, that means equal use of both hands and feet, and they are born that way.

No kid is born able to play football with either foot.

Good habits come from effort, more effort and coaching.

Many English players are not that good off their natural peg. That is unacceptable in many Countries as their football requires technique.

Thought he looked tired second half yesterday most likely down to the run of games.

However I will hold my hands up and be more than happy to say he has proven me completely wrong. I had wrote him off and even said Reid and Burns would develop better than Bryan this season but he is coming along nicely at the moment.

Dunno if it is something you can "work on" PSR. like writing ambidextrously, it's probably just something you're born with. How your brain is wired, so to speak.

Robbie Fowler used to knock a ball against his garden wall with his right foot every day when he was a kid. He wasn't bad with both feet. It's definitely something that you can improve but a lot of players seemingly can't be bothered.

Well done to Joe. Great to see one of our academy graduates getting good reviews.

For the rest of us, one side of the brain is dominant and that determines which hand we naturally pick a pen up with or kick a ball with. For 6 years of schooling I had shit handwriting until my mum noticed I was naturally left-handed and stopped the teachers forcing me to write with my right. The six years I wrote with my "wrong" hand didn't make me ambidextrous.

I am not disputing that you can coach someone to become better with his less-favoured foot, but you can't make someone completely two-footed if they weren't born that way. The brain will naturally favour one foot - even if coaching has made you a bit better at using the other one.

This is true, but the amount of one-footed players at a professional level is ridiculous. No one is expecting more to become completely able, but some willingness to play on their weaker foot would help their games undoubtedly.

There was one moment Saturday that had the JPT goal written all over it. Sadly he played the ball across the area and it broke down, I was just waiting for him to hit it with his right foot. I think he will only get better and better with more game time and as his confidence builds.

This is true, but the amount of one-footed players at a professional level is ridiculous. No one is expecting more to become completely able, but some willingness to play on their weaker foot would help their games undoubtedly.

School up the road from where I grew up had a loads of kids in the academies at Stoke, Villa, Crewe and Wolves. When I asked one of my mates who went there how they seemed to keep on producing these kids he put it down to the fact they were made to play indoor 5 aside games with only one shoe on- The idea being that if they didn't have a shoe on their strongest foot it encouraged them to use their weaker foot as it didn't hurt!

When I was very young and playing football I used to practice on my own using just my left foot (naturally right footed). By the time I was 13 or 14 I could take corners with either foot without thinking about it and play on the left or right of the field equally well (or bad).

I've never understood why kids are not taught to use both feet from an early age as it gives a player a very good advantage.

Its pretty lazy and dumb of clubs to just accept that some are right footed and some left as, with a little bit of time and patience, players could very easily be both by the time they are playing mens football.

I don't know if its the norm to teach that in Europe or S.America, but it seems so British that we just don't bother.

When i was young we would tie our "natural" leg behind our backs in training .

Joe's having a great season, him and Little show they are very athletic getting into goalscoring positions so frequently

He had a couple of chances in the first half where he could have put his foot through it, then when he did, he'd have been better placing it - he can do both, on a different day he scores 2 in the first half and we're out of sight!

On a side note, are they (JB & ML) wing backs? wide midfielders? wingers? the only way I can think to describe them is as Left/Right Attacking Wing Backs.

It must be surreal for the opposition fans to see Agard peeling over to the left when Wilbraham tends to challenge on the right if an arial daigonal ball is played Little's no slouch in the air either!

I'd give my right foot to be ambipedal...

Little is more of a winger than Joe, certainly. There are times when the ball is out of play and Little lines up on the right of a front three, with Ayling coming across to RB and Joe either on the left or drifting in midfield. The distance the pair get pushed up at times seems ridiculous, but you can't knock it.

As soon as it became apparent that we were planning on playing 352 this season I wanted Joe to get himself into the team because he offers so much more going forward than Cunningham, who leaves me pretty uninspired when asked to play wing back. I am therefore delighted with Joe's current form and for me he's been one of our best players since he got back into the team at Notts County.

You can see he is getting increasingly more confident and that is making him a more and more dangerous proposition. A small criticism I had of him at times last season and the first couple of games he played this, was that he seemed to be slightly nervy and unambitious at times when he had the ball. As he has shown recently he has the pace and ability to offer us a real direct threat, but now and again it looked as if his first thought was 'can I pass it to somebody else', rather than what it should be which is every time he gets the ball he should be thinking about hurting the opposition with his direct running and ability to cross the ball. If that isn't possible, then of course I'm not suggesting he runs down blind alleys and then is the time to simply retain possession, but for me he has the qualities which means his first thought should always be positive. Comparing him to Little the other side, I would say that Joe has much more talent on the ball, but he could really learn from Little's real self belief, confidence and ambition he shows whenever he picks up the ball.

More and more recently we have seen that and it is more than likely just a case of a rising confidence from his own and the team's impressive performances. It has been great watching him recently and with his desire to get into the final third and the quality which I think he clearly possesses I fully expect to see him troubling the keeper with more and more regularity.

As a slight aside, he also wins an awful lot in the air for a little lad. Incredible leap on him.

Archived