IGNORED

Settled Team

richwwtk

For me, one of the most remarkable things about this season so far is that we have such a settled side. There have only been two changes all season - Agard in for Baldock and Bryan in for Cunningham. We have been unchanged for our last six matches.

I know this is to a large extent a result of our good form, but it's just as likely that because SC knows his best side it's producing the form and even in previous promotion seasons it's not been like this. It's almost harking back to the seventies and before, when teams would play out whole seasons using a squad of 14 or 15 players.

Has there been a season in the last 40 years or so with quite such a settled first XI? I can't think of one.

What is even more remarkable is the lack of injuries (tempting fate I know) -- I cannot rmember a squad with no injuries -- apart from Osborne and that was an assault !! What has created this situation? We have hardly had the trainer on during a game so far!!

Good pre season preperation..?

Oh no, sorry, I forgot that Botswana was just a big igo massage for SL and a waste of everyone's time & we would have been much better off on a piss up in Holland!

What is even more remarkable is the lack of injuries (tempting fate I know) -- I cannot rmember a squad with no injuries -- apart from Osborne and that was an assault !! What has created this situation? We have hardly had the trainer on during a game so far!!

Do you know I was thinking about that yesterday and nearly started a thread on lack of injuries but I thought it would tempt fate :fingerscrossed:

You are right apart from Osborne we have been very lucky and I think this is down to good preparation. Lets hope it stays that way.

I have noticed a trend over the years that a team that is winning seems to have less injuries. When things aren't going your way, everything goes wrong. I am sure it isn't because players lose a desire to be playing or anything.

Obviously winning teams also get injuries but in those situations, players seem to be back earlier than expected....

For me, one of the most remarkable things about this season so far is that we have such a settled side. There have only been two changes all season - Agard in for Baldock and Bryan in for Cunningham. We have been unchanged for our last six matches.

I know this is to a large extent a result of our good form, but it's just as likely that because SC knows his best side it's producing the form and even in previous promotion seasons it's not been like this. It's almost harking back to the seventies and before, when teams would play out whole seasons using a squad of 14 or 15 players.

Has there been a season in the last 40 years or so with quite such a settled first XI? I can't think of one.

Jordan's

Sinclair

Llewellyn Newman Psycho Bailey

Gavin Shelton Rennie Smudger

Taylor Turner

Yes the odd change when Wimbelton was there at the start, but on the whole it hardly changed until Taylor got injured.

Look how well that turned out. The odd outing for Pender Leaning Eaton and Honor but that was rare.

Ignoring unenforced changes, I think we must give huge credit to SC who in his modus operandi is a bit like GJ.

In SC, and with GJ, we have/had managers who let the opposition worry about the team we are putting out, not worry about the team we are going to face and try to shift the first 11. 'Round pegs, round holes and these are the best 11'.

In between these two we had rookies learning their trade who were scared to lose and perhaps tried to negate the opposition rather than put out our best team and a dour boring prat who imo is not fit to even manage on a PC let alone a real football club. And to think the man who encourages learning from mistakes and not giving guidance is in the England set up?! Like the teacher at school who couldn't answer a student's question and advised 'look at the textbook'.

Ignoring unenforced changes, I think we must give huge credit to SC who in his modus operandi is a bit like GJ.

In SC, and with GJ, we have/had managers who let the opposition worry about the team we are putting out, not worry about the team we are going to face and try to shift the first 11. 'Round pegs, round holes and these are the best 11'.

In between these two we had rookies learning their trade who were scared to lose and perhaps tried to negate the opposition rather than put out our best team and a dour boring prat who imo is not fit to even manage on a PC let alone a real football club. And to think the man who encourages learning from mistakes and not giving guidance is in the England set up?! Like the teacher at school who couldn't answer a student's question and advised 'look at the textbook'.

2 points I'd make/disagree with there.

1) In GJ's last season he seemed to change the team every match, which is admittedly precisely where it all started going wrong for him and the club.

2) I'd say a focus on performances over results and accepting mistakes will happen makes SOD perfect for the England Under 19s squad.  Absolutely the wrong manager at the wrong time for us, admittedly, but I think England's historical problem has been that, at around that age group, players get the football ability coached out of them in a desperate pursuit for results.

2 points I'd make/disagree with there.

1) In GJ's last season he seemed to change the team every match, which is admittedly precisely where it all started going wrong for him and the club.

Don't disagree there.

2) I'd say a focus on performances over results and accepting mistakes will happen makes SOD perfect for the England Under 19s squad.  Absolutely the wrong manager at the wrong time for us, admittedly, but I think England's historical problem has been that, at around that age group, players get the football ability coached out of them in a desperate pursuit for results.

Focus on performances over results I agree but only to a small extent. The fact is if the performances were good the results will follow. I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. You will play well and lose some games, but only a few, just as realistically you will only lose a few where you have played well. These are just anomalies.

Mistakes will happen indeed and never should a player be afraid to make a mistake, however again this is far different from the SOD we had where players were afraid to make mistakes but more alarmingly kept making the same mistakes over and over and over again. If he was a good coach those mistakes would be learnt from, erradicated and the player would make decisions not to put them in that position again. SOD has shown no reason to suspect he is capable of doing this. Take Flint, at points last year I was going to stick a few quid on him to get an own goal - he was fast becoming our own Ramon Vega. He is unrecognisable as a player from what he was under SOD - the man who said we overpaid for him.... if he carries on this form I think he was a snip!!!

I honestly cannot think less of the man, I'd rather have Graham Taylor teaching our kids than him.

Archived